windows xp service pack 3

steveg

windows xp service pack 3
I have tried 4 times to update to sp3, it always fails and gives the error
code: 0x80072F78. Can anyone help?
Alias

Re: windows xp service pack 3
steveg wrote:
> I have tried 4 times to update to sp3, it always fails and gives the error
> code: 0x80072F78. Can anyone help?

Do you use Windows firewall or a third party firewall?

Alias
christine

Re: windows xp service pack 3

"Alias" wrote:

> steveg wrote:
> > I have tried 4 times to update to sp3, it always fails and gives the error
> > code: 0x80072F78. Can anyone help?

> Do you use Windows firewall or a third party firewall?
>
> Alias

Peter Foldes

Re: windows xp service pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836985
You receive Initialization error 0x80072F78 while the Windows Update Web
site is
requested page. In the upper right on the page, you will see the following:
[Error number: 0x80072F78

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ateauthen.mspx
Troubleshooting Windows Update v.5 Authentication Issue
See: Issue 1 symptoms
This issue may occur when you first connect to the Windows Update site, when
the
Windows Update component is checking for the latest version of the Windows
Update software. A message similar to the following will be displayed, with
the error number specified:• Windows Update has encountered an error and
cannot display the requested page. In the upper right on the page, you will
see the following: [Error number:
0x80072F78].

You experience problems when you access the Windows Update Version 5 Web
site through a server that is running ISA Server

--
Peter

"steveg" <steveg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97472F2F-74DE-4EA8-A9C2-A45D4BE3CDDA@microsoft.com...
>I have tried 4 times to update to sp3, it always fails and gives the error
> code: 0x80072F78. Can anyone help?

xp service pack 3

RE: windows xp service pack 3

"steveg" wrote:

> I have tried 4 times to update to sp3, it always fails and gives the error
> code: 0x80072F78. Can anyone help?

Tae Song

Re: windows xp service pack 3

"xp service pack 3" <xp service pack 3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:420F742F-AA69-4618-8F3D-3D01FCDD6FCF@microsoft.com...

> "steveg" wrote:
>
>> I have tried 4 times to update to sp3, it always fails and gives the
>> error
>> code: 0x80072F78. Can anyone help?

Run SFC /SCANNOW and see what it says.

MowGreen

Re: windows xp service pack 3
0x80072F78 ERROR_WINHTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE
The server response could not be parsed.

If you have broadband or access to a system connected via broadband,
then suggest you download the entire standalone SP3 package and *save*
it. That way you'll be able to create a slipstream with the original XP
installation media just in case the Operating System needs to be
reinstalled in the future. That will mitigate the need to install SP3 again.
And, the error code will then become irrelevant because you won't be
dependent upon the update servers to deliver it.

Windows XP Service Pack 3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP3
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

xp service pack 3 wrote:

> "steveg" wrote:
>

>>I have tried 4 times to update to sp3, it always fails and gives the error
>>code: 0x80072F78. Can anyone help?

G. R. Woodring

Re: windows xp service pack 3
I am on dial-up and received the same error code through Windows Update. I
ordered the Service Pack on CD ($10.68 inc. shipping and tax). It arrived about
a week later and installed without a hitch. Downloading as MowGreen suggests
should work just as well. The full download or CD files are _much_ larger than
the Windows Update installation download.

--
G. R. Woodring