Error when installing XP SP3, 0x80246007

BruceEPMN

Error when installing XP SP3, 0x80246007
I keep getting this error during the installation of SP3. How to resolve?

Re: Error when installing XP SP3, 0x80246007
Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update? Have you ever
been able to update via Windows Update?

0x80246007
SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED
The update has not been downloaded.

Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!

Self-help references:

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
[ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BruceEPMN wrote:
> I keep getting this error during the installation of SP3. How to resolve?

BruceEPMN

Re: Error when installing XP SP3, 0x80246007
Thanks for the recommendations, but so far I have not succeeded in completing
the update after several additional attempts. As suggusted, I have:

1. Turned off my virus scan software.
2. Turned off the automatic update, renamed the download folder, and then
restarted the automatic update.
3. Retried the update download and install.

Each time the update progressed well until the final stages in which it is
updating the registry files. At that point the screen abruptly turns blank
and then the computer restarts.

I now receive a different error code which is 0x80070003.

I have wasted many hours on this process and seem to be no closer to
resolution. Please provide further assistance.

I can provide my update log if that would be helpful.

BruceEPMN

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you attempting to install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update? Have you ever
> been able to update via Windows Update?
>
> 0x80246007
> SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED
> The update has not been downloaded.
>
> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot Tea Timer,
> AVG Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> attempting to install the update(s). If you disable the third-party
> firewall, make certain that you enable the Windows Firewall!
>
> Self-help references:
>
> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
>
> How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
> Update Services installation issues:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> BruceEPMN wrote:
> > I keep getting this error during the installation of SP3. How to resolve?

Robert Aldwinckle

"BruceEPMN" <BruceEPMN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news18F583B-C60E-40FC-AE7A-D72C6E0833B8@microsoft.com...

> Each time the update progressed well until the final stages in which it is
> updating the registry files. At that point the screen abruptly turns blank
> and then the computer restarts.
>
> I now receive a different error code which is 0x80070003.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>net helpmsg 3

</cmd_output>

Is there anything more given in the context of where you found that code
which would clarify *which* path it could be referring to?

> I can provide my update log if that would be helpful.

If you are into an install phase the log which will be more relevant
is the update's install log (and whatever other diagnostic files it produced.)

Also, since you are getting an automatic reboot you should probably
disable that so if you're getting a blue screen shutdown message you
can read it and record some of its details. There may also be some
information about that event or what led up to it in your Event Viewer's
System log.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Error when installing XP SP3, 0x80246007
> 2. Turned off the automatic update, renamed the download folder, and then
> restarted the automatic update.

Did turn off Automatic Updates via Control Panel | Automatic Updates or via
the Services applet?

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

Otherwise, please open a free support incident with MS.
--
~PA Bear