Windows Update does not offer Vista Service Pack 1

Christopher Hume

Windows Update does not offer Vista Service Pack 1
I know what some of the issues are but would like more help with this
and thus tried contacting Microsoft via email with their no charge
support for SP1 offer at
http://support.microsoft.com/common/...gprid=50092 1
.. I fill in the appropriate information yet after I fill in my name and
email address and hit continue, it tells me "An unknown application
error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes." I wait a few
minutes, retry and get the same error. This happens in both Internet
Explorer 7 and Firefox 3.01 . Is their site having issue at the moment?

Chris

Re: Windows Update does not offer Vista Service Pack 1
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation from
Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

> ...Is their site having issue at the moment?

Doubtful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Christopher Hume wrote:
> I know what some of the issues are but would like more help with this
> and thus tried contacting Microsoft via email with their no charge
> support for SP1 offer at
> http://support.microsoft.com/common/...gprid=50092 1
> . I fill in the appropriate information yet after I fill in my name and
> email address and hit continue, it tells me "An unknown application
> error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes." I wait a few
> minutes, retry and get the same error. This happens in both Internet
> Explorer 7 and Firefox 3.01 . Is their site having issue at the moment?
>
> Chris

Christopher Hume

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation
> from Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

I've checked that site out and there are a couple of issues applicable
to me...unfortunately, my PC manufacturer has yet to update their sound
drivers although they do have a workaround. There is one or two issues
beside that I was wanting to ask Microsoft about to see if they would
cause any problems if I were to manually install SP1.

>> ...Is their site having issue at the moment?

> Doubtful.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.

Although I do run such scans on a regular basis (nothing major found,
most of the time, it usually only finds tracking cookies at best), it
can't hurt to do another one with on-demand multiple scanners (one at a
time, of course) as no one product can detect everything (one never
knows one may have picked up between browsing sessions). If worse comes
to worse, I can either try another PC to see if Microsoft's Vista SP1
support site gives me the same problem or call them (after all, although
I forget the exact date, Microsoft offers free, no charge support for
Vista SP1 installation issues until some time next year).

Chris

Re: Windows Update does not offer Vista Service Pack 1
I would NOT install Vista SP1 manually unless and until it's offered by
Windows Update.

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
--
~PA Bear

Christopher Hume wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Windows Vista Service Pack 1 [may not be] available for installation
>> from Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343

> I've checked that site out and there are a couple of issues applicable
> to me...unfortunately, my PC manufacturer has yet to update their sound
> drivers although they do have a workaround. There is one or two issues
> beside that I was wanting to ask Microsoft about to see if they would
> cause any problems if I were to manually install SP1.
>

>>> ...Is their site having issue at the moment?

>> Doubtful.
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>
>> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.

> Although I do run such scans on a regular basis (nothing major found,
> most of the time, it usually only finds tracking cookies at best), it
> can't hurt to do another one with on-demand multiple scanners (one at a
> time, of course) as no one product can detect everything (one never
> knows one may have picked up between browsing sessions). If worse comes
> to worse, I can either try another PC to see if Microsoft's Vista SP1
> support site gives me the same problem or call them (after all, although
> I forget the exact date, Microsoft offers free, no charge support for
> Vista SP1 installation issues until some time next year).
>
> Chris

Christopher Hume

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> I would NOT install Vista SP1 manually unless and until it's offered by
> Windows Update.
>
> Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is
> available at no charge through 18 Mar-09:
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows Vista |
> select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Hmm...I tried signing in using my Windows Live ID when I saw the option
(I missed it before), but got the same error from Microsoft's site. I
even tried the Chat Request Option and got the same error. I guess I can
try a different PC to see if it gives the same error from Microsoft's
site when I get the chance.

I've looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343 and I do have the
Sigmatel drivers mentioned yet my PC's manufacturer has not updated them
yet although they do offer a workaround in regards to installation of
SP1 and the Sigmatel drivers. Even when uninstalled and deleted, SP1
still doesn't appear in Windows Update. I do also have the Intel display
driver filesmentioned, but the dates of the drivers are different. I do
not know if that makes a difference, especially as my system has and
uses an Nvidia 8600GTS video card. I do have two pending updates in
Windows Update, both driver related. Despite the fact, that according to
Nvidia's web site I have the latest drivers installed for the 8600GTS,
Windows Update is offering me a driver update for it. The only other
pending update is for my network card, D-Link - Network - D-Link
DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev.C) . I do not know if either of
these pending updates will affect Vista SP1 from appearing in Windows
Update.

System Specs:
Dell Dimension 9200 (also known as the XPS 410 in the U.S).
Intel 2.4Ghz Quad-core (Q6600)
4GB RAM
32-bit Vista Home Premium

Chris

Re: Windows Update does not offer Vista Service Pack 1
I have nothing more to suggest, Christopher, other than doing an in-place
upgrade. Good luck.