"Critial Update for Microsoft Silverlight 2 (KB955011)" install fa

Bob Day

"Critial Update for Microsoft Silverlight 2 (KB955011)" install fa
Using Windows XP SP3 all latest updates...

I visited the microsoft update site, and it download and installed
"Critial Update for Microsoft Silverlight 2 (KB955011)". The update
installed without error.

1) This AM, in the icon tray, it indicates the same thing is waiting to be
installed (the yellow shield with an ! in it). When I try to install it, it
starts, never gives any error messages, but never goes away from the icon
tray. The control pannel, add/remove shows I have "Microsoft Silverlight
2.0.30523.6" Any ideas how to deal with this? To my knowledge, I don't even
use Silverlight.

2) In Development tools, like VS 2008 Pro and Expressions Web 2 when you
click "Help, Check for updates" it takes you to the microsoft update web site
as above, but these programs are not updated by that site. An older
development tool, that I no longer use, VS 2005 Pro, is listed to be updated.
How do I get MS Update to update all MS products like the ones mentioned?
The programs obviously expect to be updated by MS Update, since that is where
checking for updates takes you. Additonally, MS Update does not update .NET
framework 3.5. Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob

Re: "Critial Update for Microsoft Silverlight 2 (KB955011)" install fa
A1a. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

A1b. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

A1c. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect Critial Update for Microsoft Silverlight 2
(KB955011) and hide it ("Don't show me this update again").

A1d. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

A2a. If Microsoft Update doesn't offer any updates for VS 2008 Pro and/or
Expressions Web 2, either there are no updates available for these
applications or you'll need to download/install updates manually.

A2b. You can download/install .NET Framework 3.5 manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-508D977D32A6

Support for Windows Update:

Silverlight Support Forums
http://silverlight.net/forums/