windows service pack 3

sandra

windows service pack 3
it failed to complete installation.
Shenan Stanley

Re: windows service pack 3
sandra wrote:
> it failed to complete installation.

Sorry to hear that.

Do you have a question?

If you do have a question, can you provide *much more* in the way of details
about your particular computer, the issue, etc?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley

Re: windows service pack 3

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Sorry to hear that.
>
> Do you have a question?
>
> If you do have a question, can you provide *much more* in the way
> of details about your particular computer, the issue, etc?

In order to possibly 'pre-answer' some of your concerns with SP3 - I am
including the basic list of things you should know about before installing
SP3. There are a couple of ways of obtaining it (beyond the normal
Automatic Updates and http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com methods) as well as
troubles others have had because of various issues already existing on their
system that SP3 was not designed to 'work-around' and that you may have to
fix before you install SP3.

I highly suggest you look through this list of things and see if any of them
look like/repair you issues and everyone would likely appreciate you coming
back to provide further feedbak and information on how you get along solving
your problem(s)...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer® 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: windows service pack 3
We shall alert the media.

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

sandra wrote:
> it failed to complete installation.