System fails to restart after SP3

Abelbabel

System fails to restart after SP3
I have Windows XP Pro. I've installed SP3 at least four times over the last
few months, and every time my system fails to complete the reboot when I
restart the computer. It freezes in the loading bar.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: System fails to restart after SP3
You have at least 2 options here:

1 -

" Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
is available.

Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "

2 - Diagnose why the SP3 is failing to install by using the installation
logs: http://winhlp.com/node/125#Cannot_in...Service_Pack_2

The logs are the same for SP2 and SP3, svcpack.log and setupapi.log
Then head over to -

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Use this forum for all issues related to Windows XP SP3
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Abelbabel wrote:

> I have Windows XP Pro. I've installed SP3 at least four times over the last
> few months, and every time my system fails to complete the reboot when I
> restart the computer. It freezes in the loading bar.

Abelbabel

Re: System fails to restart after SP3
There was no indication that SP3 fails to install. It claims to install
correctly, it just doesn't restart. I guess that does indicates a failed
installation, but if there's something helpful in the logs I would have
expected a report of install failure .

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> You have at least 2 options here:
>
> 1 -
>
> " Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
> valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
> visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
> e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
> customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
> is available.
>
> Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "
>
> 2 - Diagnose why the SP3 is failing to install by using the installation
> logs: http://winhlp.com/node/125#Cannot_in...Service_Pack_2
>
> The logs are the same for SP2 and SP3, svcpack.log and setupapi.log
> Then head over to -
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
> Use this forum for all issues related to Windows XP SP3
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Abelbabel wrote:
>
> > I have Windows XP Pro. I've installed SP3 at least four times over the last
> > few months, and every time my system fails to complete the reboot when I
> > restart the computer. It freezes in the loading bar.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: System fails to restart after SP3
If it installed correctly than the system would restart without issue.
It's not. So, one can safely assume that there's an installation issue.

Have you done anything to prepare the system for SP3 ?:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

The issue may be as simple as disabling the installed antivirus/security
software.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Abelbabel wrote:
> I have Windows XP Pro. I've installed SP3 at least four times over the
> last
> few months, and every time my system fails to complete the reboot when I
> restart the computer. It freezes in the loading bar.

Abelbabel

Re: System fails to restart after SP3
I've installed with the network installer, with no antivirus, no firewall and
nothing running in the background that I can influence. Didn't help.
I'm now waiting for microsoft support, if there's a solution I'll put it here.

Abelbabel wrote:

> I've installed with the network installer, with no antivirus, no firewall and
> nothing running in the background that I can influence. Didn't help.
> I'm now waiting for microsoft support, if there's a solution I'll put it here.

Does the system have an AMD processor, Abelbabel ?
Forgot to ask you that earlier in this thread.

On a side note, Abelleba is a neat psueodonym since it's spells 'abel'
forwards and backwards. Sort of inside out, which is how coders view
their handiwork <eg>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Abelbabel

Re: System fails to restart after SP3
Problem solved, after talking on the phone with microsoft tech support
several times and getting some different guesses at what might be the problem
one of them suggested that I download the network installer and run it in
safe-mode... when you try that it says that doing so is not recomended, so I
wouldn't have otherwise tried it, but lo and behold, it worked.
So, the problem might be some third party programme or something from the
computer manufacturer, but this fix might help others too, since sometimes
the number of programmes that could potentially interfere with the install is
staggering, and not all of them can be easily turned off.
Abelbabel is just abel and babel, two symbols of man's folly. A flaw
remembered is a flaw reduced. Or something like that.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Abelbabel wrote:
>
> > I've installed with the network installer, with no antivirus, no firewall and
> > nothing running in the background that I can influence. Didn't help.
> > I'm now waiting for microsoft support, if there's a solution I'll put it here.
> >

> Does the system have an AMD processor, Abelbabel ?
> Forgot to ask you that earlier in this thread.
>
> On a side note, Abelleba is a neat psueodonym since it's spells 'abel'
> forwards and backwards. Sort of inside out, which is how coders view
> their handiwork <eg>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Abelbabel

Re: System fails to restart after SP3
Forgot to answer your question, no I have a Hyperthreading P4 system, at
first the tech supporter just told me to change that intel registry value to
4, which of course didn't help because the problem isn't caused by an AMD
processor I don't have.
So there went two hours of installing and restoring down the drain. But
luckily someone got a better idea.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Abelbabel wrote:
>
> > I've installed with the network installer, with no antivirus, no firewall and
> > nothing running in the background that I can influence. Didn't help.
> > I'm now waiting for microsoft support, if there's a solution I'll put it here.
> >

> Does the system have an AMD processor, Abelbabel ?
> Forgot to ask you that earlier in this thread.
>
> On a side note, Abelleba is a neat psueodonym since it's spells 'abel'
> forwards and backwards. Sort of inside out, which is how coders view
> their handiwork <eg>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: System fails to restart after SP3
Didn't the first tech inquire as to the processor before recommending
that reg edit ? Installing SP3 in Safe Mode is one workaround but
certainly not the preferred installation method ... why didn't the
second tech recommend a Clean Boot, instead ?

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/

As I stated back on 8/28 -