RE: How to Recover From KB936357 Blue Screen of Death

mrchillz

RE: How to Recover From KB936357 Blue Screen of Death
i tried everything you suggested but the blue screen of death keeps popping
up,...tells me i have a BAD HEAD SPOOLER,..not sure what that is,..any other
suggestions? thanks

"SmartArray" wrote:

> After 5 days of narrowing down this problem to this specific Update, making
> it happen, and recovering I thought I would share the solution so you
> wouldn't have to suffer too! This problem seems to afflict Pentium4HT
> processors in the 2.8-3.0Ghz range. This microcode should not install on
> these processors as it appears to be a Core 2/Duo update, but somehow the P4
> slipped through the install processor check.
>
> Problem: After installing KB936357 microcode update, Windows XP will no
> longer boot into any mode. Various blue screens will appear, some with and
> some without stop codes.
>
> Solution: Follow these steps and you will save yourself lots of time and
> trouble of reinstalling.
>
> 1) Boot the machine into the Windows Recovery Console. See KB if you don't
> know how. You're now in basically a DOS shell with limited functionality.
> 2) Type the following: cd $NtUninstallKB936357$\spuninst
> This will basically change the active directory to the uninstall
> directory created by this update.
> 3) Type the following: BATCH spuninst.txt
> You will see a couple of lines echo'd to the screen indicating a file
> was copied.
> 4) Type the following to reboot the machine: exit
> 5) Your machine will now reboot into Windows XP.
> 6) Go to control panel, and add-remove programs, select "show updates".
> 7) Use add-remove programs to uninstall KB936357 update. This will finish
> the cleanup of the registry and other misc windows stuff.
> 8) Start Windows update, select "Custom", and click the little box under
> the update for KB936357 to never show it again.
>
> Countless hours were spent figuring out what was wrong, my machine was
> essentially 100% updated except for this one, it was intentionally installed
> knowing it would break (yes, willing to risk reinstalling for the third time)
> just to prove it was the bain of my existence. Fortunately I was right . . .
> I'll keep my nasty comments to myself, have a good night.

Re: How to Recover From KB936357 Blue Screen of Death
You could speed up the process by beginning your own, new thread about
*your* problem. In your new thread, tells us if the STOP error said
BAD_HEAD_SPOOLER or BAD_POOL_HEADER (0x00000019).
--
~PA Bear

mrchillz wrote:
> i tried everything you suggested but the blue screen of death keeps
> popping
> up,...tells me i have a BAD HEAD SPOOLER,..not sure what that is,..any
> other
> suggestions? thanks...

mrchillz

Re: How to Recover From KB936357 Blue Screen of Death
oops,..i think it was bad pool header,...sorry

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You could speed up the process by beginning your own, new thread about
> *your* problem. In your new thread, tells us if the STOP error said
> BAD_HEAD_SPOOLER or BAD_POOL_HEADER (0x00000019).
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> mrchillz wrote:
> > i tried everything you suggested but the blue screen of death keeps
> > popping
> > up,...tells me i have a BAD HEAD SPOOLER,..not sure what that is,..any
> > other
> > suggestions? thanks...

Harry Johnston [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> In your new thread, tells us if the STOP error said
> BAD_HEAD_SPOOLER or BAD_POOL_HEADER (0x00000019).

Wow. Good catch!

Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> In your new thread, tells us if the STOP error said
>> BAD_HEAD_SPOOLER or BAD_POOL_HEADER (0x00000019).

> Wow. Good catch!

My CrystalBall© is all-seeing, all-knowing! <booga-booga-booga>
--
~PAÞ

Re: How to Recover From KB936357 Blue Screen of Death
I thought that might be the case! <eg>

<QP>
0x00000019: BAD_POOL_HEADER
A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device
driver issues are probably the most common, but this can have diverse causes
including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some
routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues,
but I haven’t been able to confirm this as a cause.)
</QP>
Source & more: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

In any event, please begin your own new thread if you need further
assistance, mrchillz. (I doubt KB936357 had/has anything to do with your
problem.)
--
~PA Bear