Preventing download of SP3

Books47

Preventing download of SP3
I installed WindowsXP SP3 with disastrous results. After a day's work, I
successfully uninstalled it, but Microsoft warned that I should go to Windows
Update immediately for other security patches. I did that- but it downloads
SP3 again and won't let me skip that for other possible downloads. How do I
stop downloading SP3 each time I go to Windows Update and go to other updates
instead??
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Preventing download of SP3
When SP3 is offered click the plus sign next to it.
Put a check in the box under it next to " Don't show this update again "
It will now be hidden.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Books47 wrote:

> I installed WindowsXP SP3 with disastrous results. After a day's work, I
> successfully uninstalled it, but Microsoft warned that I should go to Windows
> Update immediately for other security patches. I did that- but it downloads
> SP3 again and won't let me skip that for other possible downloads. How do I
> stop downloading SP3 each time I go to Windows Update and go to other updates
> instead??

Re: Preventing download of SP3
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect WinXP SP3 and hide it ("Don't show me this
update again"), if possible.

4. Reconfigure Automatic Updates to the "Notify Only" setting; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

5. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

6. Should Automatic Updates offer SP3 again, decline to download it.

NB: Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3) and only until 14 Apr-09. Chat
and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select Windows XP
| select Windows XP Service Pack 3

There will come a time (April 2010) when you'll have to have SP3 installed
in order to be offered any more critical security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Books47 wrote:
> I installed WindowsXP SP3 with disastrous results. After a day's work, I
> successfully uninstalled it, but Microsoft warned that I should go to
> Windows Update immediately for other security patches. I did that- but it
> downloads SP3 again and won't let me skip that for other possible
> downloads. How do I stop downloading SP3 each time I go to Windows Update
> and go to other updates instead??

Alan

Re: Preventing download of SP3
As an alternative to the suggestions offered by MowGreen and PA Bear, you
can download a 'Service Pack Blocker' tool from Microsoft at

This will allow you to turn on Automatic Updates, but keep SP3 from
automatically being downloaded and installed for '12 months following
general availability' -- so it should be effective until May, 2009.

Alan

"Books47" <Books47@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed WindowsXP SP3 with disastrous results. After a day's work, I
> successfully uninstalled it, but Microsoft warned that I should go to
> Windows
> Update immediately for other security patches. I did that- but it
> downloads
> SP3 again and won't let me skip that for other possible downloads. How do
> stop downloading SP3 each time I go to Windows Update and go to other
> updates
> instead??

Charles W Davis

Re: Preventing download of SP3

"Books47" <Books47@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed WindowsXP SP3 with disastrous results. After a day's work, I
> successfully uninstalled it, but Microsoft warned that I should go to
> Windows
> Update immediately for other security patches. I did that- but it
> downloads
> SP3 again and won't let me skip that for other possible downloads. How do
> stop downloading SP3 each time I go to Windows Update and go to other
> updates
> instead??

In spite of all that has been said about blocking SP3, you should determine
why SP3 is not installing correctly and get it installed.. Soon, it will be
a requirement for additional Critical updates.