Update failure, code KB892130

Shawn

Update failure, code KB892130
Update started *last night*, apparently stalled during the night and won't
restart. Tried updating from the website, it fails also. I appears to be
about 85% complete, says it is "performing cleanup" and tells me to wait
while it "inspects your current configuration, archives your current files
and updates your files.

I will at some point need to restart my computer and I'm afraid I'm setting
myself up for a crash. Everything seems to be working fine at this point
other than that.

Am I okay doing a restart when I need to? I'm not sure where my OS disks are
if it crashes, I recently moved and haven't unpacked everything yet. Running
XP Home.

Anything I need to do before I restart? Most stuff is backed up fairly
recently, I think I can backup again before I shut down.

What if it crashes and I can't locate the disks? How would I get going again?

Thanks!

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Update failure, code KB892130
No one can guarantee that the system will not crash, Shawn. There are
other factors involved besides the updates 'stuck' installation.
That, in itself, *should* not crash the OS if you do a restart.
I'm not 100% sure about which processes are used when KB892130 installs.

*Right* click a blank spot on the Toolbar and choose Task Manager
Click the Processes tab and look under CPU to see if any Process is
hogging most of the CPU cycles.
If none of the Processes are the culprit, look under Image Name for:

wuauclt.exe
wmiprvse.exe
msiexec.exe

Click on each instance of the above and then click the End Process
button for each one. Click Yes to the warning message that will appear
for each Process you intend on stopping. Again, I'm not certain which
Processes are involved in the installation of the WGA. The above
Processes run for the installation of updates.

Next, suggest you visit this page:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

or, if further assistance with this issue is needed, the Windows XP
Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP) forum:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/...=442&SiteID=25

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Shawn wrote:

> Update started *last night*, apparently stalled during the night and won't
> restart. Tried updating from the website, it fails also. I appears to be
> about 85% complete, says it is "performing cleanup" and tells me to wait
> while it "inspects your current configuration, archives your current files
> and updates your files.
>
> I will at some point need to restart my computer and I'm afraid I'm setting
> myself up for a crash. Everything seems to be working fine at this point
> other than that.
>
> Am I okay doing a restart when I need to? I'm not sure where my OS disks are
> if it crashes, I recently moved and haven't unpacked everything yet. Running
> XP Home.
>
> Anything I need to do before I restart? Most stuff is backed up fairly
> recently, I think I can backup again before I shut down.
>
> What if it crashes and I can't locate the disks? How would I get going again?
>
> Thanks!

Shawn

Re: Update failure, code KB892130
Well, the only process "hog" seems to be the System Idle Process. Nothing
else seems to be hogging much at all. The other three files you mentioned
were nowhere to be seen.

I went to the first link you mentioned and ran the diagnostic. It came up
with a couple errors, which it was able to resolve after two attempts. I'm
going to shut the computer down and see what happens. If I'm successful I'll
be back to let you know. If you don't see me here again, figure I crashed and
will be sending my computer off to the repair shop.

Thanks for your help! And you're right, they are never forgotten. My little
sis was at the top of the WTC a couple days before the strikes. Way too close
for comfort!
Shawn

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> No one can guarantee that the system will not crash, Shawn. There are
> other factors involved besides the updates 'stuck' installation.
> That, in itself, *should* not crash the OS if you do a restart.
> I'm not 100% sure about which processes are used when KB892130 installs.
>
> *Right* click a blank spot on the Toolbar and choose Task Manager
> Click the Processes tab and look under CPU to see if any Process is
> hogging most of the CPU cycles.
> If none of the Processes are the culprit, look under Image Name for:
>
> wuauclt.exe
> wmiprvse.exe
> msiexec.exe
>
> Click on each instance of the above and then click the End Process
> button for each one. Click Yes to the warning message that will appear
> for each Process you intend on stopping. Again, I'm not certain which
> Processes are involved in the installation of the WGA. The above
> Processes run for the installation of updates.
>
> Next, suggest you visit this page:
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
>
> or, if further assistance with this issue is needed, the Windows XP
> Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP) forum:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/...=442&SiteID=25
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Shawn

Re: Update failure, code KB892130
It seems to have worked! Rebooted the computer, it went through some
unfamiliar processes during startup but everything came up okay. Then it
alerted me there were Windows updates ready to install (uh-oh!). Installed
those, rebooted when it prompted me so to do, and now we're up and running
again.

Thanks much for your help!
Shawn

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Update failure, code KB892130
Semi-combined your previous post with this one:

Shawn wrote:

> It seems to have worked! Rebooted the computer, it went through some
> unfamiliar processes during startup but everything came up okay. Then it
> alerted me there were Windows updates ready to install (uh-oh!). Installed
> those, rebooted when it prompted me so to do, and now we're up and running
> again.
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for your help! And you're right, they are never forgotten. My little
> sis was at the top of the WTC a couple days before the strikes. Way too close
> for comfort!
> Shawn

You're most welcome, Shawn. Glad to hear that the updates installed and
the system did not crash. Suggest you give this MSKB article a look, as
it may be connected with the update's installation issue:

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Although I live on the Left Coast, I was on a train heading into
Manhattan on 9/11.
I'll *never* forget those that gave all to save so many.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten