Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
FYIGMO
 

Posts: n/a
KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
I downloaded this update and installation keeps failing. Going into my
Update History and clicking on the "Failed" icon does nothing. I am at a
loss for why this security update will not install properly. I have shut
down all A/V and/or malware products and still it will not install. I
welcome any suggestions.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
FYIGMO wrote:

> I downloaded this update and installation keeps failing.


Windows XP service pack 3 with IE7?

First, try downloading the update and installing it manually:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9F5DA816-194C-478E-8A96-9421A0C52C9F&displaylang=en>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Harry.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).

Are you attempting to install KB938127 via Windows Update or manually?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

FYIGMO wrote:
> I downloaded this update and installation keeps failing. Going into my
> Update History and clicking on the "Failed" icon does nothing. I am at a
> loss for why this security update will not install properly. I have shut
> down all A/V and/or malware products and still it will not install. I
> welcome any suggestions.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
Mike Sun
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
I confirm that I have the same problem under WinXP SP3 having tried both
manual install and automatic Windows Update install. I have noticed the
following in case it helps to resolve the problem.

1. KB938127-v2-IE7.log shows the following lines of text:-

1.352: Starting AnalyzeComponents
1.352: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks
1.352: No c:\windows\INF\updtblk.inf file.
1.352: OEM file scan used 0 ticks
1.362: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 10 ticks
1.362: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.
1.362: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.
1.362: FindFirstFile c:\windows\$hf_mig$\*.*
1.362: AnalyzeForBranching: files installed on target workstation are from
sp3bta branch which is incompatible with sp2gdr branch
1.372: AnalyzeForBranching: files installed on target workstation are from
sp3bta branch which is incompatible with sp2gdr branch
1.372: AnalyzeForBranching used 10 ticks.
1.392: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 20 ticks
1.392: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks
1.392: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks
1.392: AnalyzePhaseSix used 0 ticks
4.346: AnalyzeComponents used 2994 ticks
4.346: Downloading 0 files
4.346: bPatchMode = FALSE
4.346: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 3004 ticks
6.299: CreateUninstall = 1,Directory = C:\WINDOWS\ie7updates\KB938127-v2-IE7
6.299: KB938127 Setup encountered an error: Files from the package are
incompatible with files on your system.
6.389: Files from the package are incompatible with files on your system.
8.152: Message displayed to the user: Files from the package are
incompatible with files on your system.
8.152: User Input: OK
8.152: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0f1
8.152: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action
compliance.


2. The patch seems to be a re-release to cover WinXP SP3 but it still seems
to fail.

3. Belarc Advisor has always reported this patch as "Marks a hotfix that
fails verification (note that failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)" but
also that Microsoft Security Updates" are "Up to Date".

4. A possible cause of the issue may be the sequence of updates i.e. SP2 =>
IE7 => SP3 rather than SP2=>SP3=>IE7 since it is the IE7 patch(es) that seem
to have issues. IE7 cannot be un-installed if it was installed BEFORE SP3.

Any advice on how to fix the issue, short of completely unistalling SP3,
then IE7 and re-installing in "correct" sequence would be most welcome.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
To avoid confusion, please begin your own tread, Mike. Thanks.
--
~PA Bear

Mike Sun wrote:
> I confirm that I have the same problem under WinXP SP3 having tried both
> manual install and automatic Windows Update install. I have noticed the
> following in case it helps to resolve the problem.
>
> 1. KB938127-v2-IE7.log shows the following lines of text:-
>
> 1.352: Starting AnalyzeComponents
> 1.352: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks
> 1.352: No c:\windows\INF\updtblk.inf file.
> 1.352: OEM file scan used 0 ticks
> 1.362: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 10 ticks
> 1.362: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.
> 1.362: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.
> 1.362: FindFirstFile c:\windows\$hf_mig$\*.*
> 1.362: AnalyzeForBranching: files installed on target workstation are from
> sp3bta branch which is incompatible with sp2gdr branch
> 1.372: AnalyzeForBranching: files installed on target workstation are from
> sp3bta branch which is incompatible with sp2gdr branch
> 1.372: AnalyzeForBranching used 10 ticks.
> 1.392: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 20 ticks
> 1.392: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks
> 1.392: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks
> 1.392: AnalyzePhaseSix used 0 ticks
> 4.346: AnalyzeComponents used 2994 ticks
> 4.346: Downloading 0 files
> 4.346: bPatchMode = FALSE
> 4.346: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 3004 ticks
> 6.299: CreateUninstall = 1,Directory =
> C:\WINDOWS\ie7updates\KB938127-v2-IE7
> 6.299: KB938127 Setup encountered an error: Files from the package are
> incompatible with files on your system.
> 6.389: Files from the package are incompatible with files on your system.
> 8.152: Message displayed to the user: Files from the package are
> incompatible with files on your system.
> 8.152: User Input: OK
> 8.152: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0f1
> 8.152: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action
> compliance.
>
>
> 2. The patch seems to be a re-release to cover WinXP SP3 but it still
> seems
> to fail.
>
> 3. Belarc Advisor has always reported this patch as "Marks a hotfix that
> fails verification (note that failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)"
> but
> also that Microsoft Security Updates" are "Up to Date".
>
> 4. A possible cause of the issue may be the sequence of updates i.e. SP2
> =>
> IE7 => SP3 rather than SP2=>SP3=>IE7 since it is the IE7 patch(es) that
> seem
> to have issues. IE7 cannot be un-installed if it was installed BEFORE SP3.
>
> Any advice on how to fix the issue, short of completely unistalling SP3,
> then IE7 and re-installing in "correct" sequence would be most welcome.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
FYIGMO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
Sorry about that. I have WinXP Pro SP3 as my O/S. Originally, the
installation was attempted by Windows Update, which failed. Then I tried the
manual installation as suggested, but receive the following error message:
Files from the package are incompatible with files on your system. Also, I
cannot get rid of the Windows Update icon in my System Tray as it keeps
wanting to install. Any ideas? Thanks.

FYIGMO

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).
>
> Are you attempting to install KB938127 via Windows Update or manually?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> FYIGMO wrote:
> > I downloaded this update and installation keeps failing. Going into my
> > Update History and clicking on the "Failed" icon does nothing. I am at a
> > loss for why this security update will not install properly. I have shut
> > down all A/V and/or malware products and still it will not install. I
> > welcome any suggestions.

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
This is a known bug for (only) some users after installing WinXP SP3. Open
a free support incident about this:

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select Windows XP
| select Windows XP Service Pack 3
--
~PA Bear

FYIGMO wrote:
> Sorry about that. I have WinXP Pro SP3 as my O/S. Originally, the
> installation was attempted by Windows Update, which failed. Then I tried
> the manual installation as suggested, but receive the following error
> message: Files from the package are incompatible with files on your
> system.
> Also, I cannot get rid of the Windows Update icon in my System Tray as it
> keeps wanting to install. Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> FYIGMO
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).
>>
>> Are you attempting to install KB938127 via Windows Update or manually?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> FYIGMO wrote:
>>> I downloaded this update and installation keeps failing. Going into my
>>> Update History and clicking on the "Failed" icon does nothing. I am at
>>> a
>>> loss for why this security update will not install properly. I have
>>> shut
>>> down all A/V and/or malware products and still it will not install. I
>>> welcome any suggestions.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
Even if you've tried downloading/installing KB938127 manually before, try it
again using a fresh download from this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-9421a0c52c9f

A slight tweak to the new installer may fix your problem.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


FYIGMO wrote:
> I downloaded this update and installation keeps failing. Going into my
> Update History and clicking on the "Failed" icon does nothing. I am at a
> loss for why this security update will not install properly. I have shut
> down all A/V and/or malware products and still it will not install. I
> welcome any suggestions.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-27-2008
FYIGMO
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
Thanks for your help. I'll give support a try.

FYIGMO

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> This is a known bug for (only) some users after installing WinXP SP3. Open
> a free support incident about this:
>
> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select Windows XP
> | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> FYIGMO wrote:
> > Sorry about that. I have WinXP Pro SP3 as my O/S. Originally, the
> > installation was attempted by Windows Update, which failed. Then I tried
> > the manual installation as suggested, but receive the following error
> > message: Files from the package are incompatible with files on your
> > system.
> > Also, I cannot get rid of the Windows Update icon in my System Tray as it
> > keeps wanting to install. Any ideas? Thanks.
> >
> > FYIGMO
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).
> >>
> >> Are you attempting to install KB938127 via Windows Update or manually?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >>
> >> FYIGMO wrote:
> >>> I downloaded this update and installation keeps failing. Going into my
> >>> Update History and clicking on the "Failed" icon does nothing. I am at
> >>> a
> >>> loss for why this security update will not install properly. I have
> >>> shut
> >>> down all A/V and/or malware products and still it will not install. I
> >>> welcome any suggestions.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: KB938127 Security Update for IE7 failure
See my immediately previous post in this thread.

FYIGMO wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I'll give support a try.
>
> FYIGMO
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> This is a known bug for (only) some users after installing WinXP SP3.
>> Open
>> a free support incident about this:
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select Windows
>> XP
>>> select Windows XP Service Pack 3

>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> FYIGMO wrote:
>>> Sorry about that. I have WinXP Pro SP3 as my O/S. Originally, the
>>> installation was attempted by Windows Update, which failed. Then I
>>> tried
>>> the manual installation as suggested, but receive the following error
>>> message: Files from the package are incompatible with files on your
>>> system.
>>> Also, I cannot get rid of the Windows Update icon in my System Tray as
>>> it
>>> keeps wanting to install. Any ideas? Thanks.
>>>
>>> FYIGMO
>>>
>>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>>
>>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1).
>>>>
>>>> Are you attempting to install KB938127 via Windows Update or manually?
>>>> --
>>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>>>
>>>> FYIGMO wrote:
>>>>> I downloaded this update and installation keeps failing. Going into
>>>>> my
>>>>> Update History and clicking on the "Failed" icon does nothing. I am
>>>>> at
>>>>> a
>>>>> loss for why this security update will not install properly. I have
>>>>> shut
>>>>> down all A/V and/or malware products and still it will not install. I
>>>>> welcome any suggestions.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Security update failure 0x8007F06B William from Sydney microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 07-30-2008 19:40
failure to automatic update security patch k899589 Alexb172 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 7 06-21-2008 00:32
Security update and serv.pack 3 failure - 0x80070005 LEM microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 05-19-2008 12:42
Security Update Failure bsevans microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 05-05-2008 23:35
Continued failure of important security update ECP microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 2 01-11-2008 23:36




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120