MS UPDATE PROBLEMS AFTER INFECTIONS & RECOVERY

Delores

MS UPDATE PROBLEMS AFTER INFECTIONS & RECOVERY

I WAS REFERRED HERE BY WINDOWS LIVE FORUMS

I recently cleaned my pc of a trojan. Next, I did a full repair of my OS
with XP Pro disk (second repair option). Then, I installed SP2 from a CD
sent to me by MS. When I was finally able to get websites again, I went to
MS Update and tried to download & install the updates it claimed I needed,
but they failed to install. After trying several times without success, I
noticed that each of the updates the site listed had a volume of zero(0),so I
listed all the KB numbers on paper and manually downloaded and installed each
them. What could cause this problem & how can it be resolved.

The list of updates was very long and consisted of 16+ & device updates. I
would like to be assured that updates are being downloaded & installed
without worrying about my pc. Can you help me resolve this problem?

The trojan found by Trend Micro Internet Security Pro:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\XBTB01454
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfoHK EY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfo\101 5_1015_1015_1181
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfo\1 015_1015_1015_1181\Info

(Reconnected 07 Apr 2008)
HKEY'S DELETED & TrendMicro LOGS NOTE

TROJAN_GENERIC & TROJAN_GENERIC.ADV REMOVED (on the same date above)

Then on Aug 17, 2008 it found:

TROJ_IFRAME.CP

When Eyeblaster was found, I was stressed beyond belief and disconnected
this pc. In Apr, I cleaned the items above but was not calm enough to think
what I should do next, so I disconnected it again until Aug when I used the
OS disk, etc. With the help of Trend Micro IS Pro, I was able to find the
infections & quarantine & remove the August 2008 trojan with just the
antivirus software. So my pc is clean but I now have this update problem and
do not know how to resolve it ( I am not a technician). I do not know if I am
giving too much information or not enough.

I ran Windows Live One Care Scanner and it confirmed the pc is clean &
emptied the unnecessary files in the cache, registry, etc.
deloby

TaurArian

RE: MS UPDATE PROBLEMS AFTER INFECTIONS & RECOVERY
Hopefully it's as simple as method 1 -

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
--
--------------------------------
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009

"Delores" wrote:

> I WAS REFERRED HERE BY WINDOWS LIVE FORUMS
>
> I recently cleaned my pc of a trojan. Next, I did a full repair of my OS
> with XP Pro disk (second repair option). Then, I installed SP2 from a CD
> sent to me by MS. When I was finally able to get websites again, I went to
> MS Update and tried to download & install the updates it claimed I needed,
> but they failed to install. After trying several times without success, I
> noticed that each of the updates the site listed had a volume of zero(0),so I
> listed all the KB numbers on paper and manually downloaded and installed each
> them. What could cause this problem & how can it be resolved.
>
> The list of updates was very long and consisted of 16+ & device updates. I
> would like to be assured that updates are being downloaded & installed
> without worrying about my pc. Can you help me resolve this problem?
>
> The trojan found by Trend Micro Internet Security Pro:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\XBTB01454
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfoHK EY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfo\101 5_1015_1015_1181
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfo\1 015_1015_1015_1181\Info
>

> (Reconnected 07 Apr 2008)
> HKEY'S DELETED & TrendMicro LOGS NOTE
>
> TROJAN_GENERIC & TROJAN_GENERIC.ADV REMOVED (on the same date above)
>

> Then on Aug 17, 2008 it found:
>
> TROJ_IFRAME.CP
>

> When Eyeblaster was found, I was stressed beyond belief and disconnected
> this pc. In Apr, I cleaned the items above but was not calm enough to think
> what I should do next, so I disconnected it again until Aug when I used the
> OS disk, etc. With the help of Trend Micro IS Pro, I was able to find the
> infections & quarantine & remove the August 2008 trojan with just the
> antivirus software. So my pc is clean but I now have this update problem and
> do not know how to resolve it ( I am not a technician). I do not know if I am
> giving too much information or not enough.
>
> I ran Windows Live One Care Scanner and it confirmed the pc is clean &
> emptied the unnecessary files in the cache, registry, etc.
> deloby

Shenan Stanley

Delores wrote:
> I WAS REFERRED HERE BY WINDOWS LIVE FORUMS
>
> I recently cleaned my pc of a trojan. Next, I did a full repair of
> my OS with XP Pro disk (second repair option). Then, I installed
> SP2 from a CD sent to me by MS. When I was finally able to get
> websites again, I went to MS Update and tried to download & install
> the updates it claimed I needed, but they failed to install.
> After trying several times without success, I noticed that each of
> the updates the site listed had a volume of zero(0),so I listed all
> the KB numbers on paper and manually downloaded and installed each
> them. What could cause this problem & how can it be resolved.
>
> The list of updates was very long and consisted of 16+ & device
> updates. I would like to be assured that updates are being
> downloaded & installed without worrying about my pc. Can you help
> me resolve this problem?

<snipped>

First - don't get Hardware Drivers from Microsoft.

Second... Fix your update installation issue using one of the suggestions
below...

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Delores

RE: MS UPDATE PROBLEMS AFTER INFECTIONS & RECOVERY
I've tried Method 1 and made notes on method 2: since I manually installed
all of the updates
I won't know for sure if method 1 worked or not until other updates are
necessary, but it was
informative and very helpful. Thank you for those of us who don't know much
about the technical
aspects of the pc.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Hopefully it's as simple as method 1 -
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> --
> --------------------------------
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009
> Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "Delores" wrote:
>

> > I WAS REFERRED HERE BY WINDOWS LIVE FORUMS
> >
> > I recently cleaned my pc of a trojan. Next, I did a full repair of my OS
> > with XP Pro disk (second repair option). Then, I installed SP2 from a CD
> > sent to me by MS. When I was finally able to get websites again, I went to
> > MS Update and tried to download & install the updates it claimed I needed,
> > but they failed to install. After trying several times without success, I
> > noticed that each of the updates the site listed had a volume of zero(0),so I
> > listed all the KB numbers on paper and manually downloaded and installed each
> > them. What could cause this problem & how can it be resolved.
> >
> > The list of updates was very long and consisted of 16+ & device updates. I
> > would like to be assured that updates are being downloaded & installed
> > without worrying about my pc. Can you help me resolve this problem?
> >
> > The trojan found by Trend Micro Internet Security Pro:
> >
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\XBTB01454
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfoHK EY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfo\101 5_1015_1015_1181
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eyeblaster\GC\AppInfo\1 015_1015_1015_1181\Info
> >

> > (Reconnected 07 Apr 2008)
> > HKEY'S DELETED & TrendMicro LOGS NOTE
> >
> > TROJAN_GENERIC & TROJAN_GENERIC.ADV REMOVED (on the same date above)
> >

> > Then on Aug 17, 2008 it found:
> >
> > TROJ_IFRAME.CP
> >

> > When Eyeblaster was found, I was stressed beyond belief and disconnected
> > this pc. In Apr, I cleaned the items above but was not calm enough to think
> > what I should do next, so I disconnected it again until Aug when I used the
> > OS disk, etc. With the help of Trend Micro IS Pro, I was able to find the
> > infections & quarantine & remove the August 2008 trojan with just the
> > antivirus software. So my pc is clean but I now have this update problem and
> > do not know how to resolve it ( I am not a technician). I do not know if I am
> > giving too much information or not enough.
> >
> > I ran Windows Live One Care Scanner and it confirmed the pc is clean &
> > emptied the unnecessary files in the cache, registry, etc.
> > deloby

TaurArian

Re: MS UPDATE PROBLEMS AFTER INFECTIONS & RECOVERY
Shenan, please see:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=16636

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> - Reboot.
> - Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.
>

> Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
> Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.
>
> Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
> will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
> many ways (as well as some of the third.)
>
> And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
> and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.
>

> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: MS UPDATE PROBLEMS AFTER INFECTIONS & RECOVERY
What TaurArian said.

Shenan Stanley wrote:
<snip>
> Second thing to try:
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: MS UPDATE PROBLEMS AFTER INFECTIONS & RECOVERY
It's been pulled for review, again. <sigh>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten