800B0100 Failed 1 Update

TKS_Mark

800B0100 Failed 1 Update
While trying to install update KB938371, I receive the error message, "Failed
1 Update Code 800B0100". Now I can't update my daughter's computer so she
can't connect it to my her college network. Please help!

Re: 800B0100 Failed 1 Update
Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
sites to install updates: "0x800B0100":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

TKS_Mark wrote:
> While trying to install update KB938371, I receive the error message,
> "Failed 1 Update Code 800B0100". Now I can't update my daughter's
> computer
> so she can't connect it to my her college network. Please help!

TKS_Mark

Re: 800B0100 Failed 1 Update
I installed that update tonight and thenfinished the rest of my updates.
There's a new error message now. It is 8024200D.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
> sites to install updates: "0x800B0100":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> TKS_Mark wrote:
> > While trying to install update KB938371, I receive the error message,
> > "Failed 1 Update Code 800B0100". Now I can't update my daughter's
> > computer
> > so she can't connect it to my her college network. Please help!

Re: 800B0100 Failed 1 Update
> I installed that update tonight and thenfinished the rest of my updates.

Does that mean that you were able to install KB938371? Were you able to
install any other updates besides that one?

> There's a new error message now...

What update(s) is/are failing to install now?

Error Code 0x8024200D SUS_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD
The installer requires more data to be downloaded

Translation: Whatever you're trying to install, your machine needs some
other updates to be installed first.

Is the machine currently running Vista or Vista SP1? <=JUST a question, not
a recommendation/suggestion!

If Vista SP1 is already installed, was it installed manually or via Windows
Update?

(if any)?

TKS_Mark wrote:
> I installed that update tonight and thenfinished the rest of my updates.
> There's a new error message now. It is 8024200D.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update
>> Web sites to install updates: "0x800B0100":
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702
>>
>> TKS_Mark wrote:
>>> While trying to install update KB938371, I receive the error message,
>>> "Failed 1 Update Code 800B0100". Now I can't update my daughter's
>>> computer
>>> so she can't connect it to my her college network. Please help!

TKS_Mark

Re: 800B0100 Failed 1 Update
Yes, I was able to install KB938371. I also did some research online and the
new error seems to be related to an interrupted download. I have a DSL modem
that I was sharing with my other computer. When I downloaded the other
update manually (by searching for the KB number) instead of automatically,
the new error message went away. Subsequent updates went smoothly.

Thanks for your help!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > I installed that update tonight and thenfinished the rest of my updates.

> Does that mean that you were able to install KB938371? Were you able to
> install any other updates besides that one?
>
> > There's a new error message now...

> What update(s) is/are failing to install now?
>
> Error Code 0x8024200D SUS_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD
> The installer requires more data to be downloaded
>
> Translation: Whatever you're trying to install, your machine needs some
> other updates to be installed first.
>
> Is the machine currently running Vista or Vista SP1? <=JUST a question, not
> a recommendation/suggestion!
>
> If Vista SP1 is already installed, was it installed manually or via Windows
> Update?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> TKS_Mark wrote:
> > I installed that update tonight and thenfinished the rest of my updates.
> > There's a new error message now. It is 8024200D.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update
> >> Web sites to install updates: "0x800B0100":
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702

Re: 800B0100 Failed 1 Update
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

TKS_Mark wrote:
> Yes, I was able to install KB938371. I also did some research online and
> the new error seems to be related to an interrupted download. I have a
> DSL
> modem that I was sharing with my other computer. When I downloaded the
> other update manually (by searching for the KB number) instead of
> automatically, the new error message went away. Subsequent updates went
> smoothly.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> I installed that update tonight and thenfinished the rest of my updates.

>> Does that mean that you were able to install KB938371? Were you able to
>> install any other updates besides that one?
>>
>>> There's a new error message now...

>> What update(s) is/are failing to install now?
>>
>> Error Code 0x8024200D SUS_E_UH_NEEDANOTHERDOWNLOAD
>> The installer requires more data to be downloaded
>>
>> Translation: Whatever you're trying to install, your machine needs some
>> other updates to be installed first.
>>
>> Is the machine currently running Vista or Vista SP1? <=JUST a question,
>> not a recommendation/suggestion!
>>
>> If Vista SP1 is already installed, was it installed manually or via
>> Windows
>> Update?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall
>> (if any)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> TKS_Mark wrote:
>>> I installed that update tonight and thenfinished the rest of my updates.
>>> There's a new error message now. It is 8024200D.

alexhaj

RE: 800B0100 Failed 1 Update
Here is the answer!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All,

I spent 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft tech support this morning trying
to get this resolved. They were able to fix it. I just I would pass along the
fix that worked for us. Hopefully it will help someone else out as well.
Below is the email I received from tech support after the fix:

Basically an 0x800B0100 error is store corruption. Store corruption can be
caused by pending CBS operations, CBS operations that never finished based on
a reboot
that was supposed to take place and never did, general corruption markers
like bad sectors on disk, etc.

Most of the 0x800B0100 errors I have seen have involved issues with
customers having corruption as a result of a failed update installation. So
recommending that they reboot the server when prompted would be a good best
practice. Additionally, ensure that they do their role installation and
removals one at a time. If a role installation prompts for a reboot, the
machine needs to be rebooted before anything else occurs. Otherwise the store
can become corrupted and cause issues like this.

Also the following are the steps taken to work on the resolution for the
issue.

We tried running a System Readiness update tool which checks the CBS
component corruption and got the result as one of the update KB 951978 was
having issues as its packages were corrupted.

So we downloaded and extracted the update KB 951978 and copied the package
over to the system packages folder under %Windir%\servicing\packages and
replaced the corrupted packages.

Tried to run the tool again and it came clean and also checked the roles
page on the server manager which started working fine.

alexhaj wrote:
> Here is the answer!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Hi All,
>
> I spent 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft tech support this morning
> trying
> to get this resolved. They were able to fix it. I just I would pass along
> the fix that worked for us. Hopefully it will help someone else out as
> well.
> Below is the email I received from tech support after the fix:
>

> Basically an 0x800B0100 error is store corruption. Store corruption can be
> caused by pending CBS operations, CBS operations that never finished based
> on a reboot
> that was supposed to take place and never did, general corruption markers
> like bad sectors on disk, etc.
>
> Most of the 0x800B0100 errors I have seen have involved issues with
> customers having corruption as a result of a failed update installation.
> So
> recommending that they reboot the server when prompted would be a good
> best
> practice. Additionally, ensure that they do their role installation and
> removals one at a time. If a role installation prompts for a reboot, the
> machine needs to be rebooted before anything else occurs. Otherwise the
> store can become corrupted and cause issues like this.
>
> Also the following are the steps taken to work on the resolution for the
> issue.
>

> We tried running a System Readiness update tool which checks the CBS
> component corruption and got the result as one of the update KB 951978 was
> having issues as its packages were corrupted.
>

> So we downloaded and extracted the update KB 951978 and copied the package
> over to the system packages folder under %Windir%\servicing\packages and
> replaced the corrupted packages.
>
> Tried to run the tool again and it came clean and also checked the roles
> page on the server manager which started working fine.

lknight83

Re: 800B0100 Failed 1 Update
I have visited the site linked below from PA Bear but I notice it does not
suggest any instructions for Windows 7. How do I fix this update issue?

Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
> sites to install updates: "0x800B0100":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> alexhaj wrote:
> > Here is the answer!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I spent 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft tech support this morning
> > trying
> > to get this resolved. They were able to fix it. I just I would pass along
> > the fix that worked for us. Hopefully it will help someone else out as
> > well.
> > Below is the email I received from tech support after the fix:
> >

> > Basically an 0x800B0100 error is store corruption. Store corruption can be
> > caused by pending CBS operations, CBS operations that never finished based
> > on a reboot
> > that was supposed to take place and never did, general corruption markers
> > like bad sectors on disk, etc.
> >
> > Most of the 0x800B0100 errors I have seen have involved issues with
> > customers having corruption as a result of a failed update installation.
> > So
> > recommending that they reboot the server when prompted would be a good
> > best
> > practice. Additionally, ensure that they do their role installation and
> > removals one at a time. If a role installation prompts for a reboot, the
> > machine needs to be rebooted before anything else occurs. Otherwise the
> > store can become corrupted and cause issues like this.
> >
> > Also the following are the steps taken to work on the resolution for the
> > issue.
> >

> > We tried running a System Readiness update tool which checks the CBS
> > component corruption and got the result as one of the update KB 951978 was
> > having issues as its packages were corrupted.
> >

> > So we downloaded and extracted the update KB 951978 and copied the package
> > over to the system packages folder under %Windir%\servicing\packages and
> > replaced the corrupted packages.
> >
> > Tried to run the tool again and it came clean and also checked the roles
> > page on the server manager which started working fine.

Re: 800B0100 Failed 1 Update
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problem
and computer. State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP
SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) in
your first post. Thank you.

lknight83 wrote:
> I have visited the site linked below from PA Bear but I notice it does not
> suggest any instructions for Windows 7. How do I fix this update issue?

<snip hijacked thread>