Windows Update Agent 7.2.6001.784 downloaded itself!!

Spikey

Windows Update Agent 7.2.6001.784 downloaded itself!!
Any one else noticed this?

I know we probably need this update but what is the point of having
preferences to set to notify, but not download/install if MS bypasses them?

Re: Windows Update Agent 7.2.6001.784 downloaded itself!!
This was announced & discussed in this newsgroup in early Jul-08. See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5d771650d15661
and...

Upcoming Update to Windows Update
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Spikey wrote:
> Any one else noticed this?
>
> I know we probably need this update but what is the point of having
> preferences to set to notify, but not download/install if MS bypasses
> them?

Spikey

> This was announced & discussed in this newsgroup in early Jul-08. See
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5d771650d15661
> and...
>
> Upcoming Update to Windows Update
> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Thanks for those links. I hadnt noticed that discussion.

I notice the system set a restore point and obviously its a necessary
update, but would it cause disruption if you were in the middle of an
install, or flashing the bios??

TaurArian

"Spikey" wrote:

> > This was announced & discussed in this newsgroup in early Jul-08. See
> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5d771650d15661
> > and...
> >
> > Upcoming Update to Windows Update
> > http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >

> Thanks for those links. I hadnt noticed that discussion.
>
> I notice the system set a restore point and obviously its a necessary
> update, but would it cause disruption if you were in the middle of an
> install, or flashing the bios??

Disconnect from the internet when doing anything critical that requires no
interruption either from Windows Update, Anti Virus Updates or anything else
that may come in via the internet or email.

Spikey

"TaurArian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Disconnect from the internet when doing anything critical that requires no
> interruption either from Windows Update, Anti Virus Updates or anything
> else
> that may come in via the internet or email.

Yes, good advice.

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> This was announced & discussed in this newsgroup in early Jul-08. See

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5d771650d15661
> and...
>
> Upcoming Update to Windows Update

http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx

The MSKB:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/en
"How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage
updates on a computer".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>
>> This was announced & discussed in this newsgroup in early Jul-08. See
>>

> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5d771650d15661
>> and...
>>
>> Upcoming Update to Windows Update
>>

> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx
>
> The MSKB:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/en
> "How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help
> manage
> updates on a computer".

<snip>

[I was going to mention this, too, but thought better of it: No need to
confuse/alarm the Great Unwashed, Enzo! <wink>]

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> This was announced & discussed in this newsgroup in early Jul-08. See

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5d771650d15661
>>> and...
>>>
>>> Upcoming Update to Windows Update

http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx

>> The MSKB:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/en
>> "How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help
>> manage
>> updates on a computer".

> <snip>
>
> [I was going to mention this, too, but thought better of it: No need to
> confuse/alarm the Great Unwashed, Enzo! <wink>]

Ah... Agreed, Robear :-)

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Smirnoff

"Spikey" <.> wrote in message

>> This was announced & discussed in this newsgroup in early Jul-08.
>> See
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5d771650d15661
>> and...
>>
>> Upcoming Update to Windows Update
>> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

> Thanks for those links. I hadnt noticed that discussion.
>
> I notice the system set a restore point and obviously its a necessary
> update, but would it cause disruption if you were in the middle of an
> install, or flashing the bios??

I use Microsoft Updates as opposed to Windows Updates. I was informed
that extra components needed to be downloaded in order to use the
service.

I clicked OK/Install and MS Updates opened in the normal way. However, I
can find no reference to Windows Update Agent in Restore Points, only
Software Distribution Service 3.0. Also, there is no mention of it in
Add/Remove programs.

How can I find out which version I have installed? I realise I must have
the correct version otherwise MS Updates wouldn't work but it would be
nice to know exactly where it's stored.

Re: Windows Update Agent 7.2.6001.784 downloaded itself!!
Smirnoff wrote:
<snip>
>>> This was announced & discussed in this newsgroup in early Jul-08.
>>> See
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5d771650d15661
>>> and...
>>>
>>> Upcoming Update to Windows Update
>>> http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx
>>> <snip>

> I use Microsoft Updates as opposed to Windows Updates. I was informed
> that extra components needed to be downloaded in order to use the
> service.
>
> I clicked OK/Install and MS Updates opened in the normal way. However, I
> can find no reference to Windows Update Agent in Restore Points, only
> Software Distribution Service 3.0. Also, there is no mention of it in
> Add/Remove programs.

Even if no other updates were installed, that's the related Restore Point.
WUAgent cannot be uninstalled so it won't be listed in Add/Remove Programs.

> How can I find out which version I have installed? I realise I must have
> the correct version otherwise MS Updates wouldn't work but it would be
> nice to know exactly where it's stored.

Right-click on C:\Windows\System32\WUPS2.DLL <=this file | Properties |
Version. If it's v7.2.6001.784, the WUAgent update is installed.