.Net 3 & MP11 not available on Windows Update after SP3 installed

Sgt. Pepper

.Net 3 & MP11 not available on Windows Update after SP3 installed
I'm reinstalling Windows XP MCE 2005 from scratch on a PC. After
reinstalling the base OS I went to Windows Update to update. It
recommended I install SP3 right away. I went ahead. SP3 installed
okay but now when I go to Windows Update I don't have the option to
download and install .Net Framework 3.0 or Windows Media Player 11.
(Note, .Net Framework 2.0 does still appear in Windows Update after
SP3 is installed.)

So my basic question is, why do I lose the ability to install .Net 3.0
and MP11 after installing SP3? I realize I could download the
redistributable for these and install anyway, but my concern is, if
Windows Update doesn't show these, what else is Windows Update not
showing me that I should really have?

For more background, to confirm what was going on I reformatted the
hard drive and reinstalled XP MCE 2005 again from scratch. This time
when I went to Windows Update instead of installing SP3 right away, I
reviewed what other updates were available. In that list .Net 3.0
showed up but MP11 didn't. But again after installing SP3 .Net 3.0 is
gone again.

I was doing Google searches to see if I could find anything on this (I
couldn't) and while doing that I did see that MP11 required the
"Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP MCE 2005". So I reformatted the hard
drive and reinstalled MCE one more time. This time when I went to
Windows Update for the first time, I installed that Update Rollup 2
(and ONLY that update). After that, MP11 did show up in the list, and
as I expected, .Net 3.0 was also still there. So then I did the XP
SP3 update again. After this, .Net 3.0 disappeared again, but MP11
was STILL THERE!

So it looks to me like the Windows Update detection for MP11 has a
flaw that doesn't allow MP11 as an option if SP3 was installed
directly after a clean XP MCE install and the Update Rollup 2 was
skipped.

I don't know if it might the same issue .Net 3.0 or if that's
something else.

But again, if there's a flaw in either of these two detections
relating to SP3, I'm wondering if there is anything else not showing
up after I do the SP 3 update that should be.

Thank you!

Re: .Net 3 & MP11 not available on Windows Update after SP3 installed
WinXP SP3 does not natively require .NET Framework 3.0. One or more
applications that were previously installed may have required it.

In any event, you can download/install both of them manually from the
Download Center:

..NET Framework 3.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-25634C3BF043

..NET Framework 3.0 SP1
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-1E88A0BDB72A

===================

WMP 11 for WinXP (Validation required)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...668-5166114010

=> NB: To install WMP11 in WinXP MCE 2005, KB900325
(http://support.microsoft.com/KB/900325) must be installed. See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...en terEdition

=> NB: WinXP SP3 does not include KB900325. If you didn't install it before
you installed SP3, you may need to uninstall SP3 to be able to install it
and WMP11.

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

.. US:

.. CA:

.. UK:

.. AU:

.. Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/