I can not turn on the Automatic Update & failure of the System Res

floringeorge2001

I can not turn on the Automatic Update & failure of the System Res
I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with Windows XP Professional SP3 and
starting few days ago I accidentally noticed the following:

1. the Automatic Updates feature is not operational. When going into the
Windows Security Center, I noticed that the Automatic Updates feature is
turned off. When I clicked on the "Turn on Automatic Updates" tab I get the
following message : "We're sorry.The Security Center could not change your
Automatic Updates settings. To try changing these settings yourself , go to
System in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates tab, select Automatic
(recommended), and then click OK ". Then I went to the System - Automatic
Updates : I noticed that the "Turn off Automatic Updates" tab is
checked/ticked and that this tab and all the other tabs [ "Automatic
(recommended) " , "Download updates for me , but let me choose when to
install them" and " Notify me but don't automatically download or install
them" ] are not active - that is the headings of the respective tabs are
translucent, and therefore I can not check/tick any of the three tabs for
turning on the automatic updates.
2. I tried to do a system restore using several earlier dates but it failed.
3. The letters "i" and "l" of the name of files within the folders appear
with BROWN color.

I did full scans using Avast, Spyware Doctor, Spybot Search and Destroy and
Norton Security Scan but no virus or spyware were detected. I should add that
so far I managed to successfully download and install manually all the
updates using the Microsoft Update web site. Also, a couple of weeks ago I
started to use Windows Steady State but 3-4 days ago I decided to remove it
because it takes to much time to do the changes when restarting the computer.
I also used Systernal Rootkit revealer but nothing significant was detected.
I should add that I successfully manually updated my computer using
Microsoft Update and Windows update websites.
I would appreciate a solution to my two problems :
1. I can not turn on the Automatic updates in the Windows XP Security Center
2. Failure of Windows XP System Restore to restore my laptop to earlier dates.
Thanks !

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: I can not turn on the Automatic Update & failure of the SystemRes
Prior to uninstalling WSS, did you do this ?:

> To uninstall Windows SteadyState
> Turn off Windows Disk Protection. For instructions, see the
> “Protecting the Hard Disk” section in this handbook.
> Remove restrictions placed on the shared user profiles. Shared user
> profiles will remain on the shared computer even after Shared
> Computer Toolkit or Windows SteadyState has been uninstalled and
> will retain any restrictions applied to them. If you want to keep the
> restrictions in place on user profiles after Windows SteadyState is
> uninstalled, go on to Step 3.

cf: Windows SteadyState 2.5 Handbook

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

floringeorge2001 wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with Windows XP Professional SP3 and
> starting few days ago I accidentally noticed the following:
>
> 1. the Automatic Updates feature is not operational. When going into the
> Windows Security Center, I noticed that the Automatic Updates feature is
> turned off. When I clicked on the "Turn on Automatic Updates" tab I get the
> following message : "We're sorry.The Security Center could not change your
> Automatic Updates settings. To try changing these settings yourself , go to
> System in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates tab, select Automatic
> (recommended), and then click OK ". Then I went to the System - Automatic
> Updates : I noticed that the "Turn off Automatic Updates" tab is
> checked/ticked and that this tab and all the other tabs [ "Automatic
> (recommended) " , "Download updates for me , but let me choose when to
> install them" and " Notify me but don't automatically download or install
> them" ] are not active - that is the headings of the respective tabs are
> translucent, and therefore I can not check/tick any of the three tabs for
> turning on the automatic updates.
> 2. I tried to do a system restore using several earlier dates but it failed.
> 3. The letters "i" and "l" of the name of files within the folders appear
> with BROWN color.
>
> I did full scans using Avast, Spyware Doctor, Spybot Search and Destroy and
> Norton Security Scan but no virus or spyware were detected. I should add that
> so far I managed to successfully download and install manually all the
> updates using the Microsoft Update web site. Also, a couple of weeks ago I
> started to use Windows Steady State but 3-4 days ago I decided to remove it
> because it takes to much time to do the changes when restarting the computer.
> I also used Systernal Rootkit revealer but nothing significant was detected.
> I should add that I successfully manually updated my computer using
> Microsoft Update and Windows update websites.
> I would appreciate a solution to my two problems :
> 1. I can not turn on the Automatic updates in the Windows XP Security Center
> 2. Failure of Windows XP System Restore to restore my laptop to earlier dates.
> Thanks !

floringeorge2001

Re: I can not turn on the Automatic Update & failure of the System
Hmmm ... No..I did not turned off Windows Disk Protection... As a matter
of fact I remember now that I had some problem uninstalling Windows
SteadyState ..
Considering this...what I am supposed to do now ?

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > so far I managed to successfully download and install manually all the
> > updates using the Microsoft Update web site. Also, a couple of weeks ago I
> > started to use Windows Steady State but 3-4 days ago I decided to remove it
> > because it takes to much time to do the changes when restarting the computer.
> > I also used Systernal Rootkit revealer but nothing significant was detected.
> > I should add that I successfully manually updated my computer using
> > Microsoft Update and Windows update websites.
> > I would appreciate a solution to my two problems :
> > 1. I can not turn on the Automatic updates in the Windows XP Security Center
> > 2. Failure of Windows XP System Restore to restore my laptop to earlier dates.
> > Thanks !

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: I can not turn on the Automatic Update & failure of the System
Suggest you try reinstalling it and then following the uninstall steps
laid out in the Handbook. That *usually* allows one to correct mistakes
such as this.
The application's uninstaller should have alerted you as to
complications that can result from uninstalling SteadyState without
first disabling it's protections.
That's not very 'consumer friendly'.

If there are further issues with WSS suggest you post to a WSS forum as
all I know about was inspired by you <w>:
https://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet...1660&SiteID=17

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten