Windows 2000 - what do I use?

Hoib

Windows 2000 - what do I use?
Hi. I have little experience with Windows 2000 Pro. Friend's machine has
been re-imaged with Windows 2000. It's for his work and a special Ghost
image was used due to special software requirements. The image is so old
that it has no service packs. Rather than go through a day or more of WU off
the net, I thought I could just download SP4, and run it and we'd be all set.
Now I'm faced with choices I don't know how to react to. I need some
guidance....

I see there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Express Install for End
Users. I've applied it but I don't know what to do with it now that the
system has rebooted. Does this Express package bring us all the way up to
the present? It was very quick - about 5-7 minutes of running then it
required just one reboot. Is that IT!!!??? I think there's something else
we need to do but can't find anything about how to react to the Express
Install. I've looked for it in Programs but can't see that Express added
anything. Then there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network Install
for IT Professionals which we're not using a network. Then there is this:
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) which at 129 mB looks to be the full
install versus the "Express" install. Do I run this in addition to the
Express?

If we're successful in bringing up SP4, does that include IE7? Does anyone
know what else I need to add to get this into the current state? Thanks.

neo [mvp outlook]

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
The "express" is used for those that have an internet connections so more
files can be downloaded from Microsoft servers. Since you want to avoid
that connection for additional files, you want to download/install the
"Network Install for IT Professionals" version.

IE7 cannot be installed on Windows 2000. IE7 is for Windows XP SP2 and
newer. The latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows 2000 is Internet
Explorer 6 SP1. The service pack does not include Internet Explorer 6.

"Hoib" <Hoib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have little experience with Windows 2000 Pro. Friend's machine has
> been re-imaged with Windows 2000. It's for his work and a special Ghost
> image was used due to special software requirements. The image is so old
> that it has no service packs. Rather than go through a day or more of WU
> off
> the net, I thought I could just download SP4, and run it and we'd be all
> set.
> Now I'm faced with choices I don't know how to react to. I need some
> guidance....
>
> I see there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Express Install for End
> Users. I've applied it but I don't know what to do with it now that the
> system has rebooted. Does this Express package bring us all the way up to
> the present? It was very quick - about 5-7 minutes of running then it
> required just one reboot. Is that IT!!!??? I think there's something
> else
> we need to do but can't find anything about how to react to the Express
> Install. I've looked for it in Programs but can't see that Express added
> anything. Then there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network
> Install
> for IT Professionals which we're not using a network. Then there is this:
> Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) which at 129 mB looks to be the full
> install versus the "Express" install. Do I run this in addition to the
> Express?
>
> If we're successful in bringing up SP4, does that include IE7? Does
> anyone
> know what else I need to add to get this into the current state? Thanks.

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
Does Windows Update work and/or offer any updates?

Hoib wrote:
> Hi. I have little experience with Windows 2000 Pro. Friend's machine has
> been re-imaged with Windows 2000. It's for his work and a special Ghost
> image was used due to special software requirements. The image is so old
> that it has no service packs. Rather than go through a day or more of WU
> off the net, I thought I could just download SP4, and run it and we'd be
> all set. Now I'm faced with choices I don't know how to react to. I need
> some guidance....
>
> I see there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Express Install for End
> Users. I've applied it but I don't know what to do with it now that the
> system has rebooted. Does this Express package bring us all the way up to
> the present? It was very quick - about 5-7 minutes of running then it
> required just one reboot. Is that IT!!!??? I think there's something
> else
> we need to do but can't find anything about how to react to the Express
> Install. I've looked for it in Programs but can't see that Express added
> anything. Then there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network
> Install
> for IT Professionals which we're not using a network. Then there is this:
> Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) which at 129 mB looks to be the full
> install versus the "Express" install. Do I run this in addition to the
> Express?
>
> If we're successful in bringing up SP4, does that include IE7? Does
> anyone
> know what else I need to add to get this into the current state? Thanks.

Hoib

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
Yes, PA Bear, it does -- A slew of them!!! That's capital S L E W! We
wanted to avoid WU online because in it's current state, the workstation has
no firewall, AV or AntiCrudWare and attaches unprotected. Those will get
loaded on later. This is for a small business BTW with about 30 W/S in an
auto dealership.

I know encroachment shouldn't be such a worry but he's concerned about
things like a drive-by and so am I. I suppose I could load on a freebie like
AVG just for temporary use bu then we need to take it off etc. It just
seemed to me to be a more direct route with a downloaded, saved and launched
SP4 to do it all in one swoop rather than a day and a half of installing and
rebooting through the maze. As you may have seen a kind person has let us
know that the SP4 for IT pros is what we should use.

Let me see what you might comment about further. Right now, I think I'm
back on track. I just didn't see anything that clearly indicated what these
resources were supposed to do. Thanks to the forum, I have a better
understanding...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Does Windows Update work and/or offer any updates?
>
> Hoib wrote:
> > Hi. I have little experience with Windows 2000 Pro. Friend's machine has
> > been re-imaged with Windows 2000. It's for his work and a special Ghost
> > image was used due to special software requirements. The image is so old
> > that it has no service packs. Rather than go through a day or more of WU
> > off the net, I thought I could just download SP4, and run it and we'd be
> > all set. Now I'm faced with choices I don't know how to react to. I need
> > some guidance....
> >
> > I see there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Express Install for End
> > Users. I've applied it but I don't know what to do with it now that the
> > system has rebooted. Does this Express package bring us all the way up to
> > the present? It was very quick - about 5-7 minutes of running then it
> > required just one reboot. Is that IT!!!??? I think there's something
> > else
> > we need to do but can't find anything about how to react to the Express
> > Install. I've looked for it in Programs but can't see that Express added
> > anything. Then there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network
> > Install
> > for IT Professionals which we're not using a network. Then there is this:
> > Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) which at 129 mB looks to be the full
> > install versus the "Express" install. Do I run this in addition to the
> > Express?
> >
> > If we're successful in bringing up SP4, does that include IE7? Does
> > anyone
> > know what else I need to add to get this into the current state? Thanks.

Hoib

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
OK, neo - this is exactly what I think I was looking for. I think the title
of that package "for IT Pros" kinda threw me off. I think I can leave the
Express function intact. The problem is it doesn't say -- well -- what you
said!! "Express" for what?? Now I think I got it.

Thanks very much. Always a lot of help here on these forums...

"neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

> The "express" is used for those that have an internet connections so more
> files can be downloaded from Microsoft servers. Since you want to avoid
> that connection for additional files, you want to download/install the
> "Network Install for IT Professionals" version.
>
> IE7 cannot be installed on Windows 2000. IE7 is for Windows XP SP2 and
> newer. The latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows 2000 is Internet
> Explorer 6 SP1. The service pack does not include Internet Explorer 6.
>

> "Hoib" <Hoib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I have little experience with Windows 2000 Pro. Friend's machine has
> > been re-imaged with Windows 2000. It's for his work and a special Ghost
> > image was used due to special software requirements. The image is so old
> > that it has no service packs. Rather than go through a day or more of WU
> > off
> > the net, I thought I could just download SP4, and run it and we'd be all
> > set.
> > Now I'm faced with choices I don't know how to react to. I need some
> > guidance....
> >
> > I see there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Express Install for End
> > Users. I've applied it but I don't know what to do with it now that the
> > system has rebooted. Does this Express package bring us all the way up to
> > the present? It was very quick - about 5-7 minutes of running then it
> > required just one reboot. Is that IT!!!??? I think there's something
> > else
> > we need to do but can't find anything about how to react to the Express
> > Install. I've looked for it in Programs but can't see that Express added
> > anything. Then there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network
> > Install
> > for IT Professionals which we're not using a network. Then there is this:
> > Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) which at 129 mB looks to be the full
> > install versus the "Express" install. Do I run this in addition to the
> > Express?
> >
> > If we're successful in bringing up SP4, does that include IE7? Does
> > anyone
> > know what else I need to add to get this into the current state? Thanks.

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
You're dealing with the equivalent of a "new computer" so see...

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

1. Do NOT allow the machine to connect to the internet without a firewall or
via a router!

2. Get Win2K SP4 installed ASAP, then check-in at Windows Update to install
any other criticial security updates offered.

If you don't want to use Windows Update to installed SP4 (which would be a
much smaller download), download this installer (129.2MB; SAVE it, do not
RUN it):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-297bd6ca33a0

3. Get a functional, fully updated AV app on the box ASAP!

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Hoib wrote:
> [...]
>>> required just one reboot. Is that IT!!!??? I think there's something
>>> else
>>> we need to do but can't find anything about how to react to the Express
>>> Install. I've looked for it in Programs but can't see that Express
>>> added
>>> anything. Then there is this: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Network
>>> Install
>>> for IT Professionals which we're not using a network. Then there is
>>> this:
>>> Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) which at 129 mB looks to be the full
>>> install versus the "Express" install. Do I run this in addition to the
>>> Express?
>>>
>>> If we're successful in bringing up SP4, does that include IE7? Does
>>> anyone
>>> know what else I need to add to get this into the current state?

Hoib

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
Msg received and fully understood. Let me just ask one more: Would you also
advise downloading and launching what they refer to as the "Roll up" update?

Thanks very much again....

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You're dealing with the equivalent of a "new computer" so see...
>
> Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
> http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html
>
> 1. Do NOT allow the machine to connect to the internet without a firewall or
> via a router!
>
> 2. Get Win2K SP4 installed ASAP, then check-in at Windows Update to install
> any other criticial security updates offered.
>
> If you don't want to use Windows Update to installed SP4 (which would be a
> much smaller download), download this installer (129.2MB; SAVE it, do not
> RUN it):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-297bd6ca33a0
>
> 3. Get a functional, fully updated AV app on the box ASAP!
>
> Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
>
> Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Hoib wrote:
> > Yes, PA Bear, it does -- A slew of them!!! That's capital S L E W! We
> > wanted to avoid WU online because in it's current state, the workstation
> > has
> > no firewall, AV or AntiCrudWare and attaches unprotected. Those will get
> > loaded on later. This is for a small business BTW with about 30 W/S in an
> > auto dealership.
> >
> > I know encroachment shouldn't be such a worry but he's concerned about
> > things like a drive-by and so am I. I suppose I could load on a freebie
> > like AVG just for temporary use bu then we need to take it off etc. It
> > just
> > seemed to me to be a more direct route with a downloaded, saved and
> > launched
> > SP4 to do it all in one swoop rather than a day and a half of installing
> > and
> > rebooting through the maze. As you may have seen a kind person has let us
> > know that the SP4 for IT pros is what we should use.
> >
> > Let me see what you might comment about further. Right now, I think I'm
> > back on track. I just didn't see anything that clearly indicated what
> > these
> > resources were supposed to do. Thanks to the forum, I have a better
> > understanding...
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Does Windows Update work and/or offer any updates?

Hoib

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
Gee - wait a min - this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861)
tells you about rollup 1 for sp4 and a few problems it causes but it doesn't
say where to get it nor does it contain any download links! Is it possible
that the SP4 package for IT Pros already contains the rollup therefore you
don't have a seperate download for the rollup???

It's going to be interesting to see how many more updates past SP4 this will
take...

:-)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You're dealing with the equivalent of a "new computer" so see...
>
> Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
> http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html
>
> 1. Do NOT allow the machine to connect to the internet without a firewall or
> via a router!
>
> 2. Get Win2K SP4 installed ASAP, then check-in at Windows Update to install
> any other criticial security updates offered.
>
> If you don't want to use Windows Update to installed SP4 (which would be a
> much smaller download), download this installer (129.2MB; SAVE it, do not
> RUN it):
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-297bd6ca33a0
>
> 3. Get a functional, fully updated AV app on the box ASAP!
>
> Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
>
> Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Hoib wrote:
> > Yes, PA Bear, it does -- A slew of them!!! That's capital S L E W! We
> > wanted to avoid WU online because in it's current state, the workstation
> > has
> > no firewall, AV or AntiCrudWare and attaches unprotected. Those will get
> > loaded on later. This is for a small business BTW with about 30 W/S in an
> > auto dealership.
> >
> > I know encroachment shouldn't be such a worry but he's concerned about
> > things like a drive-by and so am I. I suppose I could load on a freebie
> > like AVG just for temporary use bu then we need to take it off etc. It
> > just
> > seemed to me to be a more direct route with a downloaded, saved and
> > launched
> > SP4 to do it all in one swoop rather than a day and a half of installing
> > and
> > rebooting through the maze. As you may have seen a kind person has let us
> > know that the SP4 for IT pros is what we should use.
> >
> > Let me see what you might comment about further. Right now, I think I'm
> > back on track. I just didn't see anything that clearly indicated what
> > these
> > resources were supposed to do. Thanks to the forum, I have a better
> > understanding...
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Does Windows Update work and/or offer any updates?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
Hoib wrote:

> Gee - wait a min - this article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861)
> tells you about rollup 1 for sp4 and a few problems it causes but it doesn't
> say where to get it nor does it contain any download links!

Go to the download center and search on the KB number. To save you the trouble:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b54730cf-8850-4531-b52b-bf28b324c662&DisplayLang=en>

> Is it possible
> that the SP4 package for IT Pros already contains the rollup

No, you'll need to install the rollup separately.

Harry.

Re: Windows 2000 - what do I use?
Get SP4 installed, reboot twice, then check at Windows Update to install any
other updates offered. Chances are that the Roll-up will be one of them.