In can not turn on the automatic update

floringeorge2001

In can not turn on the automatic update

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with Windows XP Professional SP3 and
starting few days ago I accidentally noticed the following:

1. the Automatic Updates feature is not operational. When going into the
Windows Security Center, I noticed that the Automatic Updates feature is
turned off. When I clicked on the "Turn on Automatic Updates" tab I get the
following message : "We're sorry.The Security Center could not change your
Automatic Updates settings. To try changing these settings yourself , go to
System in Control Panel. On the Automatic Updates tab, select Automatic
(recommended), and then click OK ". Then I went to the System - Automatic
Updates : I noticed that the "Turn off Automatic Updates" tab is
checked/ticked and that this tab and all the other tabs [ "Automatic
(recommended) " , "Download updates for me , but let me choose when to
install them" and " Notify me but don't automatically download or install
them" ] are not active - that is the headings of the respective tabs are
translucent, and therefore I can not check/tick any of the three tabs for
turning on the automatic updates.
2. I tried to do a system restore using several earlier dates but it failed.
3. The letters "i" and "l" of the name of files within the folders appear
with BROWN color.

I did ful scans using Avast, Spyware Doctor, Spybot Search and Destroy and
Norton Security Scan but no virus or spyware were detected. I should add that
so far I managed to successfully download and install mannually all the
updates using the Microsoft Update web site. Also, a couple of weeks ago I
started to use Windows Steady State but 3-4 days ago I decided to remove it
because it takes to much time to do the changes when restarting the computer.
I also used Systernal Rootkit revealer but nothing significant was detected.
I would appreciate a solution to my problem.
Thanks !

fermu [MVP Windows]

Re: In can not turn on the automatic update
star menu > run > and type "services.msc" (without quotes)
look for the two services Automatic Updates and Background Intelligent
Transfer Service (BITS).

Their should be Started and their Startup Type should be Automatic
(automatic updates) or Manual (BITS).

--
Saludos / Fernando M.
Fermu's Website - http://www.fermu.com - http://www.teladearana.es
fermu [MVP Windows]

Re: In can not turn on the automatic update
Also take a look to the group policies

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/aupolicy.htm

--
Saludos / Fernando M.
Fermu's Website - http://www.fermu.com - http://www.teladearana.es
Registered Linux User #367696 - MS Windows Desktop Experience
La caridad bien entendida comienza por uno mismo (by Moni)
floringeorge2001

Re: In can not turn on the automatic update
Thanks fermu ! I manage to restore the automatic update using your
recommendation regarding the group policies -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/aupolicy.htm

I wonder though HOW this problem appeared as I DID NOT TOUCHED the Group
policy. I read in another post that this may be caused by virtumonde and that
it can be removed with Spybot Search & Destroy , but I DO have this
antispyware program and I ran it very offtenly and it did not detect any
virtumonde virus.

Otherwise I would appreciate a solution regarding the other two problems:
1. System restore fails to restore my computer to earlier dates
2. the brown color of the letters "i" and "l"
Thanks

"fermu [MVP Windows]" wrote:

> Also take a look to the group policies
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/aupolicy.htm
>

> --
> Saludos / Fernando M.
> Fermu's Website - http://www.fermu.com - http://www.teladearana.es
> Registered Linux User #367696 - MS Windows Desktop Experience
> La caridad bien entendida comienza por uno mismo (by Moni)

Re: In can not turn on the automatic update
What a mess! Let's start unravelling all this with some basic questions:

To your best knowledge, is the machine currently fully patched at Windows
Update and had Automatic Updates been enabled and working OK in the past?

Start | Run | (type in) services.msc | OK | Double-click on Automatic
Updates: Is this service Running/Started? Is it configure to Start
automatically? If No to either of these, can you change the setting(s) and
do the changes persist after you've rebooted?

anti-spyware applications other than Defender, Spybot, and Spyware Doctor?
What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications
(including Defender, Spybot Tea Timer, and Spyware Doctor) running in the
background when you installed WinXP SP3?

Was a Norton or McAfee application ever installed on the machine?

Finally, is Spybot Tea Timer (still) enabled?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

floringeorge2001 escribió:

> 1. System restore fails to restore my computer to earlier dates

You can try disabled and reenabled system restore,(maybe some of the
system restore points are corrupt or invalid) to do it.

**/How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

This process will be delete all previous restore points and create a new
one. Check if this new restore point working properly

Also, take a look to this kb article.

**/Troubleshooting steps for issues when you try to use the System
Restore tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...02796&x=8&y=10

> 2. the brown color of the letters "i" and "l"

have you tried changing the font for the folders?
(display properties > appearance tab)
--
Saludos / Fernando M.
Fermu's Website - http://www.fermu.com - http://www.teladearana.es
Registered Linux User #367696 - MS Windows Desktop Experience
La caridad bien entendida comienza por uno mismo (by Moni)
TaurArian

Re: In can not turn on the automatic update
Q1 - SR - See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore web page at:
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
Answers many questions and troubleshooting problems regarding SR.

Q2 - Probably a "clear type" issue - see:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ner/step1.aspx

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"floringeorge2001" <floringeorge2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1DC7B749-8241-45F1-9832-2455FCE85E3F@microsoft.com...