Service Pack 3 installation

BrendaSM

Service Pack 3 installation
XP Service Pack 3 appears to be hung up - waiting and watching for over an
hour at the same point of install - "Finishing installation" - no error
message though - just WAITING and WAITING.
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Service Pack 3 installation
BrendaSM wrote:

> XP Service Pack 3 appears to be hung up - waiting and watching for over an
> hour at the same point of install - "Finishing installation" - no error
> message though - just WAITING and WAITING.

Let's rub the crystal ball and see if we can determine which SP3 Brenda
is referring to ... Win 2K SP3; nope ... Office 2003 SP3; nope ...
how about, XP SP3 ?
I'll go with that SP3, Monte:

" Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
is available.

Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BrendaSM

Re: Service Pack 3 installation
Monte - The first word in my question was XP which should have answered your
crystal ball question...I don't appreciate being talked down to with your
tone. I do appreciate your help with the link though.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> BrendaSM wrote:
>
> > XP Service Pack 3 appears to be hung up - waiting and watching for over an
> > hour at the same point of install - "Finishing installation" - no error
> > message though - just WAITING and WAITING.

> Let's rub the crystal ball and see if we can determine which SP3 Brenda
> is referring to ... Win 2K SP3; nope ... Office 2003 SP3; nope ...
> how about, XP SP3 ?
> I'll go with that SP3, Monte:

> " Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
> valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
> visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
> e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
> customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
> is available.
>
> Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Re: Service Pack 3 installation
SP3 took over 2 hours to install via Windows Update here last month.
Patience is a virtue.

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BrendaSM wrote:
> XP Service Pack 3 appears to be hung up - waiting and watching for over an
> hour at the same point of install - "Finishing installation" - no error
> message though - just WAITING and WAITING.

Jonathan

Re: Service Pack 3 installation

"BrendaSM" <BrendaSM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> Monte - The first word in my question was XP which should
> have answered your crystal ball question...I don't
> appreciate being talked down to with your tone. I do
> appreciate your help with the link though.

Mow is the resident troll, just kill file him and everyone will be better
off.

> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> BrendaSM wrote:
>>
>> > XP Service Pack 3 appears to be hung up - waiting and
>> > watching for over an hour at the same point of install
>> > - "Finishing installation" - no error message though -
>> > just WAITING and WAITING.

>> Let's rub the crystal ball and see if we can determine
>> which SP3 Brenda
>> is referring to ... Win 2K SP3; nope ... Office 2003
>> SP3; nope ...
>> how about, XP SP3 ?
>> I'll go with that SP3, Monte:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> " Free unlimited installation and compatibility support
>> is available for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3
>> (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid until April 14,
>> 2009. For more information about this policy,
>> visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
>> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223.
>> Availability of chat or e-mail support differs depending
>> on your geographic location. For
>> customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and
>> e-mail support
>> is available.
>>
>> Some issues may require more advanced support for which
>> there is a charge. "
>>

>> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============

Shenan Stanley

BrendaSM wrote:
> Monte - The first word in my question was XP which should have
> answered your crystal ball question...I don't appreciate being
> talked down to with your tone. I do appreciate your help with the
> link though.

"XP", to be honest, is not as descriptive as you may think. Even with the
additional reference to SP3.

Windows XP is not the only product out there with the "XP" in the name. It
isn't even the only product out there with "XP" in the name and with a SP3
available for it.

I don't believe there was any 'talking down' in the response. There was
some levity (which your frustration with your current situiation may have
made more difficult to see) and some advice (in a way) that you may want to
be more specific in future posts. You are the only one that can see your
computer, know what you see and what you have done. Therefore - it is best
(when asking for help in this manner) to be as descriptive as possible.

In general, if you mean Windows XP SP3...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jonathan wrote:
> Mow is the resident troll, just kill file him and everyone will be better
> off.

Di N Bob

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> BrendaSM wrote:
>
> > XP Service Pack 3 appears to be hung up - waiting and watching for over an
> > hour at the same point of install - "Finishing installation" - no error
> > message though - just WAITING and WAITING.

> Let's rub the crystal ball and see if we can determine which SP3 Brenda
> is referring to ... Win 2K SP3; nope ... Office 2003 SP3; nope ...
> how about, XP SP3 ?
> I'll go with that SP3, Monte:

> " Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
> valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
> visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
> e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
> customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
> is available.
>
> Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Di N Bob

Re: Service Pack 3 installation
Hi Brenda......we too have had the same problem, to see your error code, go
to your update history, click on red question mark, pop up box will appear
with your error code.....after 8 attempts now, i still do not have SP3, i
have read every forum i can and done every pre-installation thing i can, but
to no avail....anyone help with error code 0x800706BE??????

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> BrendaSM wrote:
>
> > XP Service Pack 3 appears to be hung up - waiting and watching for over an
> > hour at the same point of install - "Finishing installation" - no error
> > message though - just WAITING and WAITING.

> Let's rub the crystal ball and see if we can determine which SP3 Brenda
> is referring to ... Win 2K SP3; nope ... Office 2003 SP3; nope ...
> how about, XP SP3 ?
> I'll go with that SP3, Monte:

> " Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is
> valid until April 14, 2009. For more information about this policy,
> visit the Windows XP Support Lifecycle page located at
> http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223. Availability of chat or
> e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. For
> customers residing in North America or Canada, chat and e-mail support
> is available.
>
> Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge. "
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Shenan Stanley

Di N Bob wrote:
> we too have had the same problem, to see your error
> code, go to your update history, click on red question mark, pop up
> box will appear with your error code.....after 8 attempts now, i
> still do not have SP3, i have read every forum i can and done every
> pre-installation thing i can, but to no avail....anyone help with
> error code 0x800706BE??????

Stab in the dark...
Do you have any Norton/Symantec products (at all) installed?

If so - download the entire SP3 (IT Professional version) and the Symantec
cleanup utility. Disconnect the computer from the Internet. Go through Add
or Remove Programs and remove all Symantec/Norton products. Reboot. Use
the Symantec/Norton Removal Tool to cleanup any remnants. Reboot. CHKDSK
and DEFRAG. Reboot. Install SP3. Reboot as needed - and then - log in,
wait 10 minutes, reboot... Log on, wait 10 minutes, reboot.

Then - if you insist on using Symantec/Norton products - install it again
before connecting to the Internet. Otherwise - ensure the Windows XP
Firewall is enabled and connect to the Internet and visit
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and install whatever it needs you to do
before it asks if you wish to do a Custom or Express install - choose Custom
and let it scan. Install the Critical/Security updates, you can likely
safely install any Optional Software Updates as well. Avoid the Optional
Hardware Updates like they were the plague (IMHO).

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP