Grammatical "Errors"

G1811

Grammatical "Errors"
This comment by Robert Aldwinckle was the second response I received for my
sincere question in regards to installation issues. After attempting to
respond to his supposedly helpful comments twice, only to have them deleted,
I will now respond in a mature nature that his response lacked.

Yes, Robert, I know I used the word "Verbatim" in my response, then
continued in a manner that is not, technically, considered "verbatim."
However, in the remainder of my response, I explained why I took this course
of action. Furthermore, I made my response in the spirit in which it was
requested, namely, to actually solve the problem at hand. You, on the other
hand, made a completely useless response designed to not only be unhelpful,
but to flex your supposed intellectual "superiority" for no other reason than
to make yourself feel better. I find that responses such as yours completely
undermine the spirit in which newsgroups such as these are intended.
Furthermore, in my verbose attempts to respond to your "Oh, really...," I
have found myself censored.

Therefore, I find myself at this point. You typed two words, and an ellipse
(the aforementioned "Oh, really. . .). Since you have been allowed to
correct my grammar, in an off-handed and superior manner, I will now attempt
to correct yours. Since I've written this entire prelude, I will assume that
Microsoft will deem my response less arrogant than yours. In proper English,
and ellipse is written as "dot-space-dot-space-dot." Therefore, in an effort
to promote proper grammar as you have, your response should have been written
as "Oh, really. . ."

I hope that this response is as helpful to you as yours was to me. If you
were to have any other questions about proper grammar and/or format, please
feel free to respond. I'd be really interested in hearing what you have to
say. Or in other words. . ."Oh, really..."
Alan

Re: Grammatical "Errors"
G1811,

In general American English usage -- the rules are more vigorous and
complicated in legalese (no surprise there) -- ellipses are NOT a dot and
space, a dot and space, a dot and space.

Rather, ellipses ARE three dots together, i.e., dot and no space, dot and no
space, dot and no space.

On the other hand, if one IS using legalese, ellipses ARE a dot and space, a
dot and space, a dot and space.

For your, and others' further edification, please see these links on
ellipses. And, just for the fun of it, I threw in a link for the very
interesting discussion of 'i.e.' versus 'e.g.':

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/ellipse.asp

http://www.kentlaw.edu/academics/lrw...taEllipses.htm

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/ie-eg-oh-my.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Now...what was the original question?? :->

Alan

"G1811" <G1811@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This comment by Robert Aldwinckle was the second response I received for
> my
> sincere question in regards to installation issues. After attempting to
> respond to his supposedly helpful comments twice, only to have them
> deleted,
> I will now respond in a mature nature that his response lacked.
>
> Yes, Robert, I know I used the word "Verbatim" in my response, then
> continued in a manner that is not, technically, considered "verbatim."
> However, in the remainder of my response, I explained why I took this
> course
> of action. Furthermore, I made my response in the spirit in which it was
> requested, namely, to actually solve the problem at hand. You, on the
> other
> hand, made a completely useless response designed to not only be
> unhelpful,
> but to flex your supposed intellectual "superiority" for no other reason
> than
> to make yourself feel better. I find that responses such as yours
> completely
> undermine the spirit in which newsgroups such as these are intended.
> Furthermore, in my verbose attempts to respond to your "Oh, really...," I
> have found myself censored.
>
> Therefore, I find myself at this point. You typed two words, and an
> ellipse
> (the aforementioned "Oh, really. . .). Since you have been allowed to
> correct my grammar, in an off-handed and superior manner, I will now
> attempt
> to correct yours. Since I've written this entire prelude, I will assume
> that
> Microsoft will deem my response less arrogant than yours. In proper
> English,
> and ellipse is written as "dot-space-dot-space-dot." Therefore, in an
> effort
> to promote proper grammar as you have, your response should have been
> written
> as "Oh, really. . ."
>
> I hope that this response is as helpful to you as yours was to me. If you
> were to have any other questions about proper grammar and/or format,
> please
> feel free to respond. I'd be really interested in hearing what you have
> say. Or in other words. . ."Oh, really..."

G1811

Re: Grammatical "Errors"
Sorry, Alan, I suppose I should have clarified. For actual, PROPER English,
the ellipse should be typed as I described. For "computer speak" that should
not be analyzed in an actual professional manner, type whatever the hell you
like. Even type out emoticons, which are nonsensical keystrokes intended to
convey an actual human response (which a computer doesn't do. . .you know
that, right, Alan?) and innane "texter language" that is ruining the English
language.

Once again, a really helpful response to my initial question.

XOXO, Alan.

"Alan" wrote:

> [...]
> > correct my grammar, in an off-handed and superior manner, I will now
> > attempt
> > to correct yours. Since I've written this entire prelude, I will assume
> > that
> > Microsoft will deem my response less arrogant than yours. In proper
> > English,
> > and ellipse is written as "dot-space-dot-space-dot." Therefore, in an
> > effort
> > to promote proper grammar as you have, your response should have been
> > written
> > as "Oh, really. . ."
> >
> > I hope that this response is as helpful to you as yours was to me. If you
> > were to have any other questions about proper grammar and/or format,
> > please
> > feel free to respond. I'd be really interested in hearing what you have
> > say. Or in other words. . ."Oh, really..."

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Grammatical "Errors"
G1811 wrote:

> Sorry, Alan, I suppose I should have clarified. For actual, PROPER English,
> the ellipse should be typed as I described.

Did you read the references provided?

"Bringhurst [Elements of Typographic Style] writes that a full space between
each dot is 'another Victorian eccentricity.'"

I'd be curious as to what you think defines "PROPER English" in the first place.
English, traditionally, is a consensus language without a central authority.
Did the UN pass a treaty while I wasn't looking?

Harry.
G1811

Re: Grammatical "Errors"

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> G1811 wrote:
>
> > Sorry, Alan, I suppose I should have clarified. For actual, PROPER English,
> > the ellipse should be typed as I described.

> Did you read the references provided?
>
> "Bringhurst [Elements of Typographic Style] writes that a full space between
> each dot is 'another Victorian eccentricity.'"

Okay, I apologize, because my original post in this thread, as intended,
should have been a reply to another post. I believe that, making it its own
thread has made it into more of an issue than I intended. My reply was
supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek observation to a post that was not helpful
in any way to my question. I would like to end this thread right here.

> I'd be curious as to what you think defines "PROPER English" in the first place.
> English, traditionally, is a consensus language without a central authority.
> Did the UN pass a treaty while I wasn't looking?

However. . .(sorry, I can't help it) Just because something is classified
as an "eccentricity" of the Victorian age does not negate its existence as a
rule of proper English. Calling a man "mister" and a woman "miss" is an
"eccentricity," yet we still do so. You asked me to define "PROPER English."
Proper English is English that you don't have to defend by searching for any
internet site that may help your arguement. Proper English is something that
is known, not argued.

> Harry.

G1811

Re: Grammatical "Errors"
By the way, the UN has absolutely nothing to do with a country's language
rules.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> G1811 wrote:
>
> > Sorry, Alan, I suppose I should have clarified. For actual, PROPER English,
> > the ellipse should be typed as I described.

> Did you read the references provided?
>
> "Bringhurst [Elements of Typographic Style] writes that a full space between
> each dot is 'another Victorian eccentricity.'"
>
> I'd be curious as to what you think defines "PROPER English" in the first place.
> English, traditionally, is a consensus language without a central authority.
> Did the UN pass a treaty while I wasn't looking?
>
> Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Grammatical "Errors"
G1811 wrote:

> Proper English is English that you don't have to defend by searching for any
> internet site that may help your arguement. Proper English is something that
> is known, not argued.

Well, most of us know that ellipses don't have spaces. :-)

Harry.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Grammatical "Errors"
G1811 wrote:

> By the way, the UN has absolutely nothing to do with a country's language
> rules.

Intended as sarcasm. (Mind you, I don't see who else could establish the
hypothetical central authority on English; it's spoken in multiple countries,
after all.)

Harry.