Problem with firefox browser after latest vista update

slash

Problem with firefox browser after latest vista update
I have windows vista home premium, and after the latest update, my firefox
browser wont run at all. any clues as to why this is happening?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Problem with firefox browser after latest vista update
slash wrote:
> I have windows vista home premium, and after the latest update, my
> firefox browser wont run at all. any clues as to why this is
> happening?

Not really - given what little information you have...

Windows Vista Home Premium... SP1?
Firefox 1.x, 2.x or 3.x?
What have you done to attempt to remedy the issue?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Gis Bun

RE: Problem with firefox browser after latest vista update
Aside from the fact that it's probably not a Microsoft conspiracy to screw up
Firefox installs [and Shenan's comments] with Firefox being small-ish, easier
just to uninstall and then reinstall. Get version 3 if you didn't already as
version 2 support dies by year end.

"slash" wrote:

> I have windows vista home premium, and after the latest update, my firefox
> browser wont run at all. any clues as to why this is happening?

slash

RE: Problem with firefox browser after latest vista update
well, let me apologise for the lack of info. I have vista sp1. I had the
latest version of firefox, 3.1. I tried re-installing it, restarting my
system, but nothing works. and it gives me no error msg too.

"Gis Bun" wrote:

> Aside from the fact that it's probably not a Microsoft conspiracy to screw up
> Firefox installs [and Shenan's comments] with Firefox being small-ish, easier
> just to uninstall and then reinstall. Get version 3 if you didn't already as
> version 2 support dies by year end.
>
> "slash" wrote:
>
> > I have windows vista home premium, and after the latest update, my firefox
> > browser wont run at all. any clues as to why this is happening?

andrea

RE: Problem with firefox browser after latest vista update
I am actually having the exact problem you are - sp1, using FF 3.1, and can't
get it to open after Windows updated. When I click the icon, I either get the
"Firefox has crashed!" box or a Vista box telling me it has stopped working.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, downgraded to every available version with no
luck. I've disabled everything, I've backed up and deleted my profile
folder.... Nothing works.

The first time this happened, I did a system restore and got it working
again, but the stupid Windows Update thing won't leave me alone until I
install the "urgent" update.

I will watch this thread with interest.

"slash" wrote:

> well, let me apologise for the lack of info. I have vista sp1. I had the
> latest version of firefox, 3.1. I tried re-installing it, restarting my
> system, but nothing works. and it gives me no error msg too.
>
> "Gis Bun" wrote:
>
> > Aside from the fact that it's probably not a Microsoft conspiracy to screw up
> > Firefox installs [and Shenan's comments] with Firefox being small-ish, easier
> > just to uninstall and then reinstall. Get version 3 if you didn't already as
> > version 2 support dies by year end.
> >
> > "slash" wrote:
> >
> > > I have windows vista home premium, and after the latest update, my firefox
> > > browser wont run at all. any clues as to why this is happening?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

andrea wrote:

> I am actually having the exact problem you are - sp1, using FF 3.1, and can't
> get it to open after Windows updated. When I click the icon, I either get the
> "Firefox has crashed!" box or a Vista box telling me it has stopped working.

I assume you mean Firefox 3.0.1, rather than (say) some beta version of 3.1?

I'd suggest you take this to Mozilla support as well, as it sounds like it might
be a bug in Firefox. It might be helpful to uninstall the Vista updates one by
one (or do a system restore and then install the updates one by one) to identify
which update is triggering the problem.

However, I've just installed Firefox 3.0.1 on our (fully patched) Vista box and
it isn't having any problems, so it might be malware on your system, or a third
application interfering - what sort of anti-virus/firewall software do you have
installed?

Harry.

--
Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174
andrea

Re: Problem with firefox browser after latest vista update
Yes, I meant 3.0.1.

I finally found a solution - I had to completely delete all FF profiles and
reinstall from scratch. Before, when I backed up my profiles and reloaded
them, I would have the same issue. Luckily I had some screen shots of my
bookmarks and such (always assuming the worst since I bought a Vista
machine), so it wasn't as painful as it could have been.

I run avast! antivirus. Don't think it was the problem as I'm still running
it now. From extensive googling, I believe the addon AdBlockPlus was causing
the issue.

andrea wrote:

> I run avast! antivirus. Don't think it was the problem as I'm still running
> it now.

From what I've heard and seen, Avast is pretty reliable, so it wouldn't be my
first guess, no. (I use it myself.)

> From extensive googling, I believe the addon AdBlockPlus was causing
> the issue.

Sounds reasonable. Sorry, meant to suggest third-party plugins as a possible cause.

Harry.

--
Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174
Digitalplague

RE: Problem with firefox browser after latest vista update
I have the same problem. On top of that safari and google chorme both crash
only IE works.. they worked i restarted updated now they crash.