Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

"windows could not search for new updates" (code:8024402C)

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2008
omgwtf
 

Posts: n/a
"windows could not search for new updates" (code:8024402C)
I have my system configured to automatically install and I tried the lan
troubleshoot in windows help center.

The issue that was entered was: WindowsUpdate_8024402C WindowsUpdate_dt000

....But the code that I'm getting doesn't seem to be there
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2008
Engel
 

Posts: n/a
RE: "windows could not search for new updates" (code:8024402C)
Hello omg...

0x8024402C WU_E_PT_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED Same as
ERROR_WINHTTP_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED - the proxy server or target server name
cannot be resolved.

You may receive a "0x8024402C" error message when you scan for updates on
the Windows
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900936>
-=-

Windows Update error 8024402C
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/261ae42d-8c84-496e-88cb-a46dff5504611033.mspx>
-=-

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you receive the
0x8024402C error

<http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/showarticle.aspx?articleid=30&ln=en>

A misconfigured Proxy/Firewall can cause this problem. Double-check the
Proxy/Firewall settings

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
the Windows

Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site

<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883821>
-=-


Good luck
-=-

"omgwtf" wrote:

> I have my system configured to automatically install and I tried the lan
> troubleshoot in windows help center.
>
> The issue that was entered was: WindowsUpdate_8024402C WindowsUpdate_dt000
>
> ...But the code that I'm getting doesn't seem to be there

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2008
Maurice N ~ MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "windows could not search for new updates" (code:8024402C)
Which version of Windows is this? Vista or XP or ???
a pc at home or a pc in an office/network setting?

See MS page titled "Windows Update error 8024402C"
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...504611033.mspx

The article suggest that you temporarily disable your antivirus program,
anti-malware program, check if you have a 3rd-party firewall, before
attempting again to access Windows/Microsoft Updates.
Once you're done, re-enable any programs you disabled.
--
Maurice N
MS-MVP
--
"omgwtf" <omgwtf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1BF33454-201C-46CA-95F4-6E42C10C288D@microsoft.com...
>I have my system configured to automatically install and I tried the lan
> troubleshoot in windows help center.
>
> The issue that was entered was: WindowsUpdate_8024402C WindowsUpdate_dt000
>
> ...But the code that I'm getting doesn't seem to be there



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2008
omgwtf
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "windows could not search for new updates" (code:8024402C)
Vista home premium.

As for the article, I tried disabling anything that might be interfering
(anti-virus, malware, and spyware) but I still get the same error.

Is there anyway to get upgrades directly from the site? I remember when I
had windows xp I could go to windows update site it would scan my system and
give me the upgrades that I needed...but now all I get is two pictures
telling me how to turn on automatic updates

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> Which version of Windows is this? Vista or XP or ???
> a pc at home or a pc in an office/network setting?
>
> See MS page titled "Windows Update error 8024402C"
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...504611033.mspx
>
> The article suggest that you temporarily disable your antivirus program,
> anti-malware program, check if you have a 3rd-party firewall, before
> attempting again to access Windows/Microsoft Updates.
> Once you're done, re-enable any programs you disabled.
> --
> Maurice N
> MS-MVP
> --
> "omgwtf" <omgwtf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1BF33454-201C-46CA-95F4-6E42C10C288D@microsoft.com...
> >I have my system configured to automatically install and I tried the lan
> > troubleshoot in windows help center.
> >
> > The issue that was entered was: WindowsUpdate_8024402C WindowsUpdate_dt000
> >
> > ...But the code that I'm getting doesn't seem to be there

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2008
Maurice N ~ MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "windows could not search for new updates" (code:8024402C)
If you know the specific update(s) you need, you can get them from the MS
Download Center.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/S...isplaylang=en#


Make sure you have already tried this:
Click the Vista Start orb, type "Windows Update" (without the double quotes)
in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
Then click "Check for updates "

As an added note, please see "How to use User Account Control (UAC) in
Windows Vista"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708/en-us
--
Maurice N
MS-MVP
--
"omgwtf" <omgwtf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:99E32BB1-5F25-419B-BC93-43A4ADB347E6@microsoft.com...
> Vista home premium.
>
> As for the article, I tried disabling anything that might be interfering
> (anti-virus, malware, and spyware) but I still get the same error.
>
> Is there anyway to get upgrades directly from the site? I remember when I
> had windows xp I could go to windows update site it would scan my system
> and
> give me the upgrades that I needed...but now all I get is two pictures
> telling me how to turn on automatic updates
>
> "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
>
>> Which version of Windows is this? Vista or XP or ???
>> a pc at home or a pc in an office/network setting?
>>
>> See MS page titled "Windows Update error 8024402C"
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...504611033.mspx
>>
>> The article suggest that you temporarily disable your antivirus program,
>> anti-malware program, check if you have a 3rd-party firewall, before
>> attempting again to access Windows/Microsoft Updates.
>> Once you're done, re-enable any programs you disabled.
>> --
>> Maurice N
>> MS-MVP
>> --



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2008
omgwtf
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "windows could not search for new updates" (code:8024402C)
The download center won't left me download anything, when I click the
"download" or "continue" buttons I get redirected to "page load error" (in
IE) and "cannot find server" (firefox)

Also, I've been trying to use the windows update but I just keep getting
that same error code

"Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

> If you know the specific update(s) you need, you can get them from the MS
> Download Center.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/S...isplaylang=en#
>
>
> Make sure you have already tried this:
> Click the Vista Start orb, type "Windows Update" (without the double quotes)
> in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
> Then click "Check for updates "
>
> As an added note, please see "How to use User Account Control (UAC) in
> Windows Vista"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708/en-us
> --
> Maurice N
> MS-MVP
> --
> "omgwtf" <omgwtf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:99E32BB1-5F25-419B-BC93-43A4ADB347E6@microsoft.com...
> > Vista home premium.
> >
> > As for the article, I tried disabling anything that might be interfering
> > (anti-virus, malware, and spyware) but I still get the same error.
> >
> > Is there anyway to get upgrades directly from the site? I remember when I
> > had windows xp I could go to windows update site it would scan my system
> > and
> > give me the upgrades that I needed...but now all I get is two pictures
> > telling me how to turn on automatic updates
> >
> > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Which version of Windows is this? Vista or XP or ???
> >> a pc at home or a pc in an office/network setting?
> >>
> >> See MS page titled "Windows Update error 8024402C"
> >> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...504611033.mspx
> >>
> >> The article suggest that you temporarily disable your antivirus program,
> >> anti-malware program, check if you have a 3rd-party firewall, before
> >> attempting again to access Windows/Microsoft Updates.
> >> Once you're done, re-enable any programs you disabled.
> >> --
> >> Maurice N
> >> MS-MVP
> >> --

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008
Harry Johnston [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: "windows could not search for new updates" (code:8024402C)
omgwtf wrote:

> The download center won't left me download anything, when I click the
> "download" or "continue" buttons I get redirected to "page load error" (in
> IE) and "cannot find server" (firefox)


But you can see web pages?

This isn't Windows Update related, then. Something is preventing you from
downloading the files. It's probably either a firewall configuration issue or a
malware infestation.

Harry.

--
Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista: error message "Windows could not search for new updates" Treblegirl microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 07-05-2008 17:53
"Windows Could Not Search for New Updates" -- Code 8000FFFF luz microsoft.public.windowsupdate 5 04-14-2008 04:26
Article ID: 929458 Fehlermeldung bei der Suche nach Updates in Windows Vista: "Es konnte nicht nach neuen Updates gesucht werden (Code 80072F8F)" KBArticles German 0 10-22-2007 21:20
Article ID: 929458 Error message when you search for updates in Windows Vista: "Windows could not search for new updates (Code 80072F8F)" KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 930433 The "Remove Search Computer Link" Group Policy setting removes the "Search the Internet" option that is in the Start menu search box instead of the "See all results" option in Windows Vista KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:36.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120