windows update is disabled

Andy

windows update is disabled
hi,
I compleately reinstaled my laptop (Dell Latitude D620) few days ago, then i
went to windows update and installed SP3 (as recommanded), after this
couldn`t connect to windows update becouse there is an error 0x8DDD0018. So I
tried what microsoft help says :

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:
• Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
• Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download
more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
• Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)

So I Clicked Start, and then clicked Run. Typed services.msc
and then clicked OK.
3. In the list of services, I double-clicked on Automatic Updates and then
clicked Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, selected Automatic and clicked Apply.
5. Verified that the Service status is started, the Status was Stopped so I
clicked
on the Start Button And received Error 1058: The service cannot be
started either because its disabled or because because it has no enabled
devices associated with it.

then i downloaded sp3 again and reinstaled it but it doesn`t work either

thank you for your help
Engel

RE: windows update is disabled
Hello Andy,

First - ensure you do not have "Vundo". Clean it up if you do.

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
removing the trojan.

Your first priority must be to cleanse your PC of all malware.

A very good antimalware app is SUPERAntiSpyware.

There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
The trial version of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (SAS):
<http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html>

Have a look at this articles. It may be relevant to your problem.

The above explanation was for a previous Version of BITS but, there has been
an update for BITS since Vista came out.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939159>

Is BITS disabled ? It can be set to Manual and the system will update
successfully but, will not update if BITS is Disabled.
Suggest you run the BITS Repair Tool to see if that helps resolve the issue
after installing the update for it:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520>

Can't fix BITS - Windows Update
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=307d2 1a2-eb9a-4859-b139-78997305deff&mid=307d21a2-eb9a-4859-b139-78997305deff>

This will give you a starting point for your troubleshooting anyway.

Please let us know if the problem remains

Ǝиçεl
-=-
- -- ---

"Andy" wrote:

> hi,
> I compleately reinstaled my laptop (Dell Latitude D620) few days ago, then i
> went to windows update and installed SP3 (as recommanded), after this
> couldn`t connect to windows update becouse there is an error 0x8DDD0018. So I
> tried what microsoft help says :
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
> • Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> • Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download
> more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> • Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
>

> So I Clicked Start, and then clicked Run. Typed services.msc
> and then clicked OK.
> 3. In the list of services, I double-clicked on Automatic Updates and then
> clicked Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, selected Automatic and clicked Apply.
> 5. Verified that the Service status is started, the Status was Stopped so I
> clicked
> on the Start Button And received Error 1058: The service cannot be
> started either because its disabled or because because it has no enabled
> devices associated with it.
>
> then i downloaded sp3 again and reinstaled it but it doesn`t work either
>
> thank you for your help

Andy

RE: windows update is disabled
Engel! Thank you so much!

I`ve tried all the stuuf like eset smart security, ad-aware, ADS Spy,
Rootkitrevealer, windows defender, advenced registry doctor and cwshredder,
BUT the only thing that acctualy helped was your SUPERAntiSpyware. I`ve found
all thoose "Vundos" and deleated them, and now everything is in normal.

Thank you
Engel

RE: windows update is disabled
Your are welcome Andy.

I appreciate your time on updateding the threªd.
-=-

It helps if you mark your initial question as answered--that will enable
others searching for an answer to find a correct one more quickly.

Was this post helpful to you?
- -- ---

(¯`·._.·Ǝиçεl·._.·´¯)

-=-

"Andy" wrote:

> Engel! Thank you so much!
>
> I`ve tried all the stuuf like eset smart security, ad-aware, ADS Spy,
> Rootkitrevealer, windows defender, advenced registry doctor and cwshredder,
> BUT the only thing that acctualy helped was your SUPERAntiSpyware. I`ve found
> all thoose "Vundos" and deleated them, and now everything is in normal.
>
> Thank you

Gagba

RE: windows update is disabled
Hi Engel, Thanks a million. I downloaded the SUPERAntispyware and it worked
like magic. Thanks once more.
--
All for one and one for all.

"Engel" wrote:

> [...]
> > more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> > • Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> > troubleshooting, if needed)
> >

> > So I Clicked Start, and then clicked Run. Typed services.msc
> > and then clicked OK.
> > 3. In the list of services, I double-clicked on Automatic Updates and then
> > clicked Properties.
> > 4. In the Startup type list, selected Automatic and clicked Apply.
> > 5. Verified that the Service status is started, the Status was Stopped so I
> > clicked
> > on the Start Button And received Error 1058: The service cannot be
> > started either because its disabled or because because it has no enabled
> > devices associated with it.
> >
> > then i downloaded sp3 again and reinstaled it but it doesn`t work either

Lise

RE: windows update is disabled
Engel, you were my last resort and your advice worked great. thanks for
helping me get my PC back.

Lise