Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)

B130

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
I have a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop with an Intel PROset/Wireless adapter.
Prior to installing Win XP SP3 I got a solid connection to my wireless
network. After installing SP3 I would keep losing the connection. I have
unistalled SP3 and now I again have a good solid connection. Any ideas?

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
A Windows XP SP3-based computer loses wireless connectivity when it resumes
from standby or from hibernation...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

B130 wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop with an Intel PROset/Wireless adapter.
> Prior to installing Win XP SP3 I got a solid connection to my wireless
> network. After installing SP3 I would keep losing the connection. I have
> unistalled SP3 and now I again have a good solid connection. Any ideas?

TaurArian

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"B130" <B130@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop with an Intel PROset/Wireless adapter.
| Prior to installing Win XP SP3 I got a solid connection to my wireless
| network. After installing SP3 I would keep losing the connection. I have
| unistalled SP3 and now I again have a good solid connection. Any ideas?

Maureen

"B130" wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop with an Intel PROset/Wireless adapter.
> Prior to installing Win XP SP3 I got a solid connection to my wireless
> network. After installing SP3 I would keep losing the connection. I have
> unistalled SP3 and now I again have a good solid connection. Any ideas?

Switch to windows managing the wireless - that worked for me so far. (Dell
Latitude 820 with Intel proset wireless). I like the proset wireless manager
better so I am looking for an update for it.
Michael

RE: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
Get rid of SP3!!! It will all get worse..I know!

"Maureen" wrote:

> "B130" wrote:
>
> > I have a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop with an Intel PROset/Wireless adapter.
> > Prior to installing Win XP SP3 I got a solid connection to my wireless
> > network. After installing SP3 I would keep losing the connection. I have
> > unistalled SP3 and now I again have a good solid connection. Any ideas?

> Switch to windows managing the wireless - that worked for me so far. (Dell
> Latitude 820 with Intel proset wireless). I like the proset wireless manager
> better so I am looking for an update for it.

Michael

RE: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
Hi there, I have have just spent over 250€ and 5 days of time because of
installing Service Pack 3 on my Dell Dimension 9200 (Windows Media Edition
2005).

After updating to SP3 every program began to slow down or crash!

I finally got to speak to someone from Dell, and they told me that they are
aware of "Issues" with SP3, and have received many calls and complaints...in
fact the giy from Dell said the same thing happened to him!
He told me there is no solution to the problem and that I should not try an
update to SP3. So where does that leave me and my computer?

Dell should have sent an e-mail to all customers that were at risk and
warned them.

They (Dell) knew there was a problem...and ignored it!

They are quick to try and sell us new stuff all the time via e-mail.

So I guess this issue with SP3 may never be corrected.

It is a pain always having to keep my eye on the updates now...as now there
are updates coming through for SP3!!!

"B130" wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop with an Intel PROset/Wireless adapter.
> Prior to installing Win XP SP3 I got a solid connection to my wireless
> network. After installing SP3 I would keep losing the connection. I have
> unistalled SP3 and now I again have a good solid connection. Any ideas?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
SP3 installed with no issues on my Dell XPS400 with MCE.
But, the Media Center has never been opened nor configured.
Also, the HD was formatted and a retail copy of MCE was installed.
So, that leads one to believe:

1) Folks applying SP3 haven't temporarily disabled the installed
antivirus/security software: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
Did Dell advise you to follow the recommendations in the above KB article ?
2) There's an issue installing SP3 on MCE when the Media Center has been
initially opened and configured.
3) Dell screwed up either with the MCE image used to install MCE or, all
the *crap* they include with said image is the cause of the installation
issue.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Michael wrote:

> Hi there, I have have just spent over 250€ and 5 days of time because of
> installing Service Pack 3 on my Dell Dimension 9200 (Windows Media Edition
> 2005).
>
> After updating to SP3 every program began to slow down or crash!
>
> I finally got to speak to someone from Dell, and they told me that they are
> aware of "Issues" with SP3, and have received many calls and complaints...in
> fact the giy from Dell said the same thing happened to him!
> He told me there is no solution to the problem and that I should not try an
> update to SP3. So where does that leave me and my computer?
>
> Dell should have sent an e-mail to all customers that were at risk and
> warned them.
>
> They (Dell) knew there was a problem...and ignored it!
>
> They are quick to try and sell us new stuff all the time via e-mail.
>
> So I guess this issue with SP3 may never be corrected.
>
> It is a pain always having to keep my eye on the updates now...as now there
> are updates coming through for SP3!!!

zabadoh

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)

I would like to contribute my own experience to this thread.

The first time I installed WinXP SP3, I had the same problem as
everyone else with my wireless connection going dead, so I had to use
System Restore to uninstall SP3.

I'm using AVG antivirus, and according to that KB posting above, you
may need to turn off antivirus software before installing SP3.

There is no way to completely turn off AVG, so I uninstalled it.

I then ran Windows Update to install SP3, then reinstalled AVG, and now
my wireless connection is working correctly.

Thanks for your help guys!

--
zabadoh
zabadoh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/zabadoh.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
> There is no way to completely turn off AVG

Horse hockey! AVG 8.0 was fully disabled here when I installed WinXP SP3.
--
~PA Bear

zabadoh wrote:
> I would like to contribute my own experience to this thread.
>
> The first time I installed WinXP SP3, I had the same problem as
> everyone else with my wireless connection going dead, so I had to use
> System Restore to uninstall SP3.
>
> I'm using AVG antivirus, and according to that KB posting above, you
> may need to turn off antivirus software before installing SP3.
>
> There is no way to completely turn off AVG, so I uninstalled it.
>
> I then ran Windows Update to install SP3, then reinstalled AVG, and now
> my wireless connection is working correctly.
>
> Thanks for your help guys!

Shenan Stanley

zabadoh wrote:
> I would like to contribute my own experience to this thread.
>
> The first time I installed WinXP SP3, I had the same problem as
> everyone else with my wireless connection going dead, so I had to
> use System Restore to uninstall SP3.
>
> I'm using AVG antivirus, and according to that KB posting above, you
> may need to turn off antivirus software before installing SP3.
>
> There is no way to completely turn off AVG, so I uninstalled it.
>
> I then ran Windows Update to install SP3, then reinstalled AVG, and
> now my wireless connection is working correctly.
>
> Thanks for your help guys!

To disable AVG:
- open AVG User Interface
- double-click on the Resident Shield
- un-tick the option "Resident Shield active"
- save the changes

Don't forget to activate it again after you've done whatever required it to
be disabled.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP