Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) - can't install

Elias

Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) - can't install
Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I tried installing the service pack a few times on my laptop when it came
but it kept failing, producing the error code 8007043C. I haven't been able
to find any info on this in searches here.

I thought the problem was my hard drive not having enough room so now I've
made plenty of space I'm looking to download this update again but can't seem
to find it- the one available on the Microsoft website is 435MB
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en),
which it says not to download if I'm just updating one computer (32bit).
There is another one it recommends instead for home users that is only 65MB,
which it directs to me Windows Update to find except I can't seem to make it
appear there!

Any ideas how to get ahold of this 65MB update?

Thanks

(Windows Vista Home Basic, processor AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38
2.20 GHz, 958MB RAM - sorry I don't know what other info would be useful)
Elias

RE: Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) - can't install
Just FYI, it would take hours in the reboot stages, usually jamming at stage
3 and forcing me to reboot in safe mode. I tried this a number of times and
eventually gave up and forgot about it as it was rendering my laptop useless.

It displays as a failed update in Windows Update but now no longer gives me
any options to try again, even after searching for updates.

"Elias" wrote:

> Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right place.
>
> I tried installing the service pack a few times on my laptop when it came
> but it kept failing, producing the error code 8007043C. I haven't been able
> to find any info on this in searches here.
>
> I thought the problem was my hard drive not having enough room so now I've
> made plenty of space I'm looking to download this update again but can't seem
> to find it- the one available on the Microsoft website is 435MB
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en),
> which it says not to download if I'm just updating one computer (32bit).
> There is another one it recommends instead for home users that is only 65MB,
> which it directs to me Windows Update to find except I can't seem to make it
> appear there!
>
> Any ideas how to get ahold of this 65MB update?
>
> Thanks
>
> (Windows Vista Home Basic, processor AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38
> 2.20 GHz, 958MB RAM - sorry I don't know what other info would be useful)

Elias

RE: Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) - can't install
Sorry for replying to myself again- I saw another post about this update not
reappearing but I first tried the installation in April and it still hasn't
come back with the option again :/

"Elias" wrote:

> Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right place.
>
> I tried installing the service pack a few times on my laptop when it came
> but it kept failing, producing the error code 8007043C. I haven't been able
> to find any info on this in searches here.
>
> I thought the problem was my hard drive not having enough room so now I've
> made plenty of space I'm looking to download this update again but can't seem
> to find it- the one available on the Microsoft website is 435MB
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en),
> which it says not to download if I'm just updating one computer (32bit).
> There is another one it recommends instead for home users that is only 65MB,
> which it directs to me Windows Update to find except I can't seem to make it
> appear there!
>
> Any ideas how to get ahold of this 65MB update?
>
> Thanks
>
> (Windows Vista Home Basic, processor AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38
> 2.20 GHz, 958MB RAM - sorry I don't know what other info would be useful)

Engel

RE: Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) - can't install

Hello Elias,

See, Search Results for 8007043C
<http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=8007043C>
for possible help.

Good luck
-=-

"Elias" wrote:

> Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right place.
>
> I tried installing the service pack a few times on my laptop when it came
> but it kept failing, producing the error code 8007043C. I haven't been able
> to find any info on this in searches here.
>
> I thought the problem was my hard drive not having enough room so now I've
> made plenty of space I'm looking to download this update again but can't seem
> to find it- the one available on the Microsoft website is 435MB
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en),
> which it says not to download if I'm just updating one computer (32bit).
> There is another one it recommends instead for home users that is only 65MB,
> which it directs to me Windows Update to find except I can't seem to make it
> appear there!
>
> Any ideas how to get ahold of this 65MB update?
>
> Thanks
>
> (Windows Vista Home Basic, processor AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38
> 2.20 GHz, 958MB RAM - sorry I don't know what other info would be useful)

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) - can't install
Has SP1 been offered to the machine by Windows Update yet?

0x8007043C ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE.

Translation: You need a service which is not available in safe mode.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Elias wrote:
> Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right place.
>
> I tried installing the service pack a few times on my laptop when it came
> but it kept failing, producing the error code 8007043C. I haven't been
> able
> to find any info on this in searches here.
>
> I thought the problem was my hard drive not having enough room so now I've
> made plenty of space I'm looking to download this update again but can't
> seem to find it- the one available on the Microsoft website is 435MB
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en),
> which it says not to download if I'm just updating one computer (32bit).
> There is another one it recommends instead for home users that is only
> 65MB,
> which it directs to me Windows Update to find except I can't seem to make
> it
> appear there!
>
> Any ideas how to get ahold of this 65MB update?
>
> Thanks
>
> (Windows Vista Home Basic, processor AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38
> 2.20 GHz, 958MB RAM - sorry I don't know what other info would be useful)

Elias

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) - can't install
Oh ok that makes a lot of sense actually, thanks- during the 3rd phase of
restarts the update just would not complete so after spending countless hours
on it I rebooted and couldn't get the system back outside of safe mode (I
know you should wait but this was just taking far too long). Doesn't explain
why the update kept jamming the whole time though...

Yes, it came to me originally through Windows Update- in my update history
it's displayed for the 4th and 5th of April with that error code but I lost
count of the number of times I tried- I *think* it said I needed 10GB free
and I had that, but not a huge amount more; I basically lost use of my laptop
for the best part of a few days during the reboot phases.

Basically I'd just like to try again but can't seem to get the option back...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Has SP1 been offered to the machine by Windows Update yet?
>
> 0x8007043C ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE.
>
> Translation: You need a service which is not available in safe mode.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Elias wrote:
> > Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right place.
> >
> > I tried installing the service pack a few times on my laptop when it came
> > but it kept failing, producing the error code 8007043C. I haven't been
> > able
> > to find any info on this in searches here.
> >
> > I thought the problem was my hard drive not having enough room so now I've
> > made plenty of space I'm looking to download this update again but can't
> > seem to find it- the one available on the Microsoft website is 435MB
> > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en),
> > which it says not to download if I'm just updating one computer (32bit).
> > There is another one it recommends instead for home users that is only
> > 65MB,
> > which it directs to me Windows Update to find except I can't seem to make
> > it
> > appear there!
> >
> > Any ideas how to get ahold of this 65MB update?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > (Windows Vista Home Basic, processor AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-38
> > 2.20 GHz, 958MB RAM - sorry I don't know what other info would be useful)

Re: Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330) - can't install
If SP1 isn't offered via Windows Update again, I'd be hesitant to try a
manual install, Elias. A lot has happened since April and several
Prerequisite Updates have been released since then.

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1