Re: windows update not working

TaurArian

Re: windows update not working
Will Xpost to the WU Newsgroup -

Considerations :

System may be infected with malware "Vundo"
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo

Service does not start and displays "Error 1058"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584

You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive an "Error 1058"
error message on a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
2005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224

"Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error message when
you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"mhamrick56" <mhamrick56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Can asnyone tell me how to get my windows update to start working I was
| ghetting a error 1058 and tried to do what it said to fix it but it will not
| start . I typed services.msc in the run box ,them double cliked on windows
| update and it keeps saying disabled . I put a chck in automatic and apply .
| Then when I hit the start button it clicks off by itself . It does this
| everytime .. Any help???????/
| --
| mhamrick56

supoch14

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Will Xpost to the WU Newsgroup -
>

> Considerations :
>
> System may be infected with malware "Vundo"
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo
>
> Service does not start and displays "Error 1058"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584
>
> You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive an "Error 1058"
> error message on a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
> 2005
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224
>
> "Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error message when
> you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "mhamrick56" <mhamrick56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Can asnyone tell me how to get my windows update to start working I was
> | ghetting a error 1058 and tried to do what it said to fix it but it will not
> | start . I typed services.msc in the run box ,them double cliked on windows
> | update and it keeps saying disabled . I put a chck in automatic and apply .
> | Then when I hit the start button it clicks off by itself . It does this
> | everytime .. Any help???????/
> | --
> | mhamrick56

Johnnny

Re: windows update not working
I have the same problem and I have followed the links and the easy
instructions but always it goes back to disabled state. Help me please before
my pc goes out the window as I am getting really frustrated

John

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Will Xpost to the WU Newsgroup -
>

> Considerations :
>
> System may be infected with malware "Vundo"
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...=Win32%2fVundo
>
> Service does not start and displays "Error 1058"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241584
>
> You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive an "Error 1058"
> error message on a computer that is running Windows XP or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
> 2005
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224
>
> "Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error message when
> you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428
>
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "mhamrick56" <mhamrick56@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Can asnyone tell me how to get my windows update to start working I was
> | ghetting a error 1058 and tried to do what it said to fix it but it will not
> | start . I typed services.msc in the run box ,them double cliked on windows
> | update and it keeps saying disabled . I put a chck in automatic and apply .
> | Then when I hit the start button it clicks off by itself . It does this
> | everytime .. Any help???????/
> | --
> | mhamrick56

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: windows update not working
You didn't post which version of Windows is running nor what the issue
is. " windows update not working " could apply to several scenarios.
If you're referring to being unable to start the Automatic Updates
service, then it's probable that the system is infected with malware.
First, using Internet Explorer, have it scanned here:

Next, suggest you post to a reputable anti-malware forum to ensure, as
much as one can, that the system is clean:

http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5

*Please* read the guidelines of the forum of your choice prior to posting.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten