SQL server 2005 service update, Error Code 6AA

WestPro

SQL server 2005 service update, Error Code 6AA
I am having this problem and have not anything that is even close to fixing
the problem! Help
I'm running windows Vista and need to update windows with SQL server2005
service pack 2. I am unable to install this update and get an error message
Error 6AA. I have tried to provide the permissions necessary but nothing
seems to be working
I have checked everywhere and can not find how to fix this problem or even
find out what that Error is.

Your Assistance is appreciated

Diana

Re: SQL server 2005 service update, Error Code 6AA
Hello,

Can you call 1-800-936-4900 and ask to be routed to the SQL-Public Team?

Thank You.

Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
CSS Security Team

"WestPro" <WestPro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having this problem and have not anything that is even close to fixing
> the problem! Help
> I'm running windows Vista and need to update windows with SQL server2005
> service pack 2. I am unable to install this update and get an error
> message
> Error 6AA. I have tried to provide the permissions necessary but nothing
> seems to be working
> I have checked everywhere and can not find how to fix this problem or even
> find out what that Error is.
>
> Your Assistance is appreciated

WestPro

Re: SQL server 2005 service update, Error Code 6AA
Hello Diane,

I called but was not transferred to the SQL-Public Team, as they told me it
was $259.00 for support. Microsoft identifies this to be an important update
but I am not willing to pay that price - do I really need this update?

Let me know!

Thanks for trying
WestPro

"Diana" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can you call 1-800-936-4900 and ask to be routed to the SQL-Public Team?
>
> Thank You.
>
> Diana Smith [MSFT] <diasmith@hotmail.com>
> CSS Security Team

> "WestPro" <WestPro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having this problem and have not anything that is even close to fixing
> > the problem! Help
> > I'm running windows Vista and need to update windows with SQL server2005
> > service pack 2. I am unable to install this update and get an error
> > message
> > Error 6AA. I have tried to provide the permissions necessary but nothing
> > seems to be working
> > I have checked everywhere and can not find how to fix this problem or even
> > find out what that Error is.
> >
> > Your Assistance is appreciated

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: SQL server 2005 service update, Error Code 6AA
(cross-post added to SQL Server Setup)
"WestPro" <WestPro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having this problem and have not anything that is even close to fixing
> the problem! Help
> I'm running windows Vista and need to update windows with SQL server2005
> service pack 2. I am unable to install this update and get an error message
> Error 6AA.

> I have tried to provide the permissions necessary but nothing
> seems to be working

> I have checked everywhere and can not find how to fix this problem or even
> find out what that Error is.

So the idea about permissions was a guess?
What diagnostics have you checked so far?

Note: 0x06AA == 1706

So make sure that you are searching for the decimal value as well
as the hex value.

Here's the sort of thing a web search with that value produces:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...30621&SiteID=1

(Live Search for
2008 1706 SQL verbose MSFT site:microsoft.com
)

<quote>
Product: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client -- Error 1706. An installation
package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be found.
Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'.
</quote>

The particular Me too! poster who provided this detail didn't include
any more of his log, so we can't see for example, where the install
was looking or what it was looking for.

> Your Assistance is appreciated

Looks like you're more likely to find knowledgeable help about SQL updates
on forums which specialize in SQL Admin. Cross-posting to an SQL NG
for convenience.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Brian K.

Re: SQL server 2005 service update, Error Code 6AA
I am having the same issue. What is the solution?

"Diana" wrote:

> Issue resolved per John
>

> Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:56 PM
> To: Diana Smith (SECURITY)
> Subject: RE: Follow-up
>

> Hello Diana,
>

> Thanks for your assistance again. My case was resolved .
>

> Have a great rest of your summer!
>

> Best regards,
>

> John West CPC
>
> President
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
> > (cross-post added to SQL Server Setup)
> > "WestPro" <WestPro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I am having this problem and have not anything that is even close to
> >>fixing
> >> the problem! Help
> >> I'm running windows Vista and need to update windows with SQL server2005
> >> service pack 2. I am unable to install this update and get an error
> >> message
> >> Error 6AA.

> >> I have tried to provide the permissions necessary but nothing
> >> seems to be working

> >> I have checked everywhere and can not find how to fix this problem or
> >> even
> >> find out what that Error is.

> > So the idea about permissions was a guess?
> > What diagnostics have you checked so far?
> >
> > Note: 0x06AA == 1706
> >
> > So make sure that you are searching for the decimal value as well
> > as the hex value.
> >
> > Here's the sort of thing a web search with that value produces:
> >

> > http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...30621&SiteID=1
> >
> > (Live Search for
> > 2008 1706 SQL verbose MSFT site:microsoft.com
> > )
> >
> > <quote>
> > Product: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client -- Error 1706. An installation
> > package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be
> > found.
> > Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package
> > 'sqlncli.msi'.
> > </quote>
> >

> > The particular Me too! poster who provided this detail didn't include
> > any more of his log, so we can't see for example, where the install
> > was looking or what it was looking for.
> >

> >> Your Assistance is appreciated

> > Looks like you're more likely to find knowledgeable help about SQL updates
> > on forums which specialize in SQL Admin. Cross-posting to an SQL NG
> > for convenience.
> >

> > Good luck
> >
> > Robert Aldwinckle
> > ---

Diana

Re: SQL server 2005 service update, Error Code 6AA
Hello Folks,

I obtained the following from the SQL Team:
The 0x6AA error (or decimal 1706) is caused by missing media. This issue is
documented in KB 955250. The KB has instructions on how they can proceed on
it.

955250 Error message when you try to uninstall a SQL Server 2005 Express
Edition hotfix package: "1731 The source installation package for the
product [2] is out of sync with the client package"