Windows Update failure

deano

Windows Update failure
I have recently uploaded sp3 for xp and ever since doing so I cannot get into
the update section of Windows. I have uninstalled sp3 as all was okay before
updating but still have the same problems.
When I go into program files on 'C' it says that Windows Update file is an
empty folder.
Also have problems with typing now as not all strikes of keys register. Is
this just a bug or related to above. If so any recommendations re free
virus/spyware progs. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Deano
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update failure
IF malware is present then it most likely would have prevented access to
updates prior to the offering of SP3.

Program Files\WindowsUpdate hasn't been used since the V4 of Windows
Update, so it should be empty if the XP was installed before or
reinstalled after September of 2006.

If no antivirus software is installed or the system was not scanned for
malware prior to the application of SP3, please read:
Tutorial for Kapersky Online Scanner
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15574

Then have the system scanned here:
http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...us-scanner.php

Save the report, as described in the tutorial, and post it into your
reply *if* malwares are detected, plus, answers to these questions, please.

Was SP3 obtained via Automatic Updates, from the Windows | Microsoft
sites, or was it downloaded manually as a standalone package ?

Was the system scanned for the presence of malware prior to the
application of SP3 and, what is the installed antivirus/security software ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

deano wrote:

> I have recently uploaded sp3 for xp and ever since doing so I cannot get into
> the update section of Windows. I have uninstalled sp3 as all was okay before
> updating but still have the same problems.
> When I go into program files on 'C' it says that Windows Update file is an
> empty folder.
> Also have problems with typing now as not all strikes of keys register. Is
> this just a bug or related to above. If so any recommendations re free
> virus/spyware progs. Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Deano

Charles W Davis

Re: Windows Update failure

"deano" <deano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently uploaded sp3 for xp and ever since doing so I cannot get
>into
> the update section of Windows. I have uninstalled sp3 as all was okay
> before
> updating but still have the same problems.
> When I go into program files on 'C' it says that Windows Update file is an
> empty folder.
> Also have problems with typing now as not all strikes of keys register. Is
> this just a bug or related to above. If so any recommendations re free
> virus/spyware progs. Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Deano

Deano,

Windows Explorer. On the C drive drill down to Windows, then to the
SoftwareDistribution folder. Rename the folder to SoftOLD. Reboot and try
again. A new SoftwareDistribution folder will be generated.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update failure
Charles W Davis wrote:

> Deano,
>
> Windows Explorer. On the C drive drill down to Windows, then to the
> SoftwareDistribution folder. Rename the folder to SoftOLD. Reboot and
> try again. A new SoftwareDistribution folder will be generated.

Can't be done without first stopping the AU service, Charles.
Besides, Deano is referring to the Program Files\WindowsUpdate subfolder.

MG
mhamrick56

RE: Windows Update failure
Deano, I had a problem with windows update not starting try :
Superspyware.com it is free it fixed mine ....
--
mhamrick56

"deano" wrote:

> I have recently uploaded sp3 for xp and ever since doing so I cannot get into
> the update section of Windows. I have uninstalled sp3 as all was okay before
> updating but still have the same problems.
> When I go into program files on 'C' it says that Windows Update file is an
> empty folder.
> Also have problems with typing now as not all strikes of keys register. Is
> this just a bug or related to above. If so any recommendations re free
> virus/spyware progs. Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Deano

mhamrick56

RE: Windows Update failure
Sorry, I posted the wrong website: The correct site is superantispyware.com
--
mhamrick56