SP3 Install Rejected ?

Silverfox1

SP3 Install Rejected ?
I attempted to install from windows update SP3 and it aborted and I hit the
OK tabs and the attempted install was reversed. I re-booted the pc and now I
still keep getting the windows update notification in the system tray telling
me to install the 66.9MB SP3 update.

I am running XP Home SP2 and IE 6.0

How can i STOP or HIDE the SP3 update notification like other high priority
updates can be hid if the user doesnt want to install them ?

From my understanding users do NOT have to update to SP3 if they do not want
to.

Ever since this update notification has started a few days ago when I
cancel the SP3 install notification in the system tray after awhile I keep
losing my internet connection and this was not occurring before with my
broadband service.

So I did try to install SP3 but it will not install properly and I have
decided not to try again.

So how can I eliminate the constant nagging reminder to install it ?

Thanks for any replys.

Regards
Alan

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
Hi Silverfox1,

You can download a 'Service Pack Blocker' tool from Microsoft at

This will allow you to turn on Automatic Updates, but keep SP3 from
automatically being downloaded and installed for '12 months following
general availability' -- so it should be effective until May, 2009.

Alan

"Silverfox1" <Silverfox1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I attempted to install from windows update SP3 and it aborted and I hit the
> OK tabs and the attempted install was reversed. I re-booted the pc and now
> still keep getting the windows update notification in the system tray
> telling
> me to install the 66.9MB SP3 update.
>
> I am running XP Home SP2 and IE 6.0
>
> How can i STOP or HIDE the SP3 update notification like other high
> priority
> updates can be hid if the user doesnt want to install them ?
>
> From my understanding users do NOT have to update to SP3 if they do not
> want
> to.
>
> Ever since this update notification has started a few days ago when I
> cancel the SP3 install notification in the system tray after awhile I keep
> losing my internet connection and this was not occurring before with my
> broadband service.
>
> So I did try to install SP3 but it will not install properly and I have
> decided not to try again.
>
> So how can I eliminate the constant nagging reminder to install it ?
>
> Thanks for any replys.
>
> Regards

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
You do NOT need a Blocker Tool!

1. Control Panel | Automatic Updates: Select "Notify Only" option & OK your
way out.

2. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

3. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

NB: You can decline to download and/or install SP3, but you cannot hide it.

==========

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
[http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...n-windows-xp/]

Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Service
Pack 3 installation did not complete" and "An internal error occurred":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Silverfox1 wrote:
> I attempted to install from windows update SP3 and it aborted and I hit
> the
> OK tabs and the attempted install was reversed. I re-booted the pc and now
> still keep getting the windows update notification in the system tray
> telling me to install the 66.9MB SP3 update.
>
> I am running XP Home SP2 and IE 6.0
>
> How can i STOP or HIDE the SP3 update notification like other high
> priority
> updates can be hid if the user doesnt want to install them ?
>
> From my understanding users do NOT have to update to SP3 if they do not
> want
> to.
>
> Ever since this update notification has started a few days ago when I
> cancel the SP3 install notification in the system tray after awhile I keep
> losing my internet connection and this was not occurring before with my
> broadband service.
>
> So I did try to install SP3 but it will not install properly and I have
> decided not to try again.
>
> So how can I eliminate the constant nagging reminder to install it ?
>
> Thanks for any replys.
>
> Regards

Silverfox1

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
Last time I attempted to delete the software distributioin folder for another
problem associated with MS updates I had to delete the contents in Safe Mode
by renaming it SDold, and then a new SD folder is created during a re-boot.

PA Bear, so your saying if I take your suggested steps then the WU Symbol
will disappear from nagging me in the future to upgrade to SP3 ?

Or will it just disappear now until it decides to notify me once again to
install SP3 and then I am right back where I am now ?

I have always had WU checked to simply notify me and let me select which
updates I want to Download & install.

Thanks for any more replys.
Regards

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > telling me to install the 66.9MB SP3 update.
> >
> > I am running XP Home SP2 and IE 6.0
> >
> > How can i STOP or HIDE the SP3 update notification like other high
> > priority
> > updates can be hid if the user doesnt want to install them ?
> >
> > From my understanding users do NOT have to update to SP3 if they do not
> > want
> > to.
> >
> > Ever since this update notification has started a few days ago when I
> > cancel the SP3 install notification in the system tray after awhile I keep
> > losing my internet connection and this was not occurring before with my
> > broadband service.
> >
> > So I did try to install SP3 but it will not install properly and I have
> > decided not to try again.
> >
> > So how can I eliminate the constant nagging reminder to install it ?

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
Re-read my reply: I said nothing about deleting the SystemDistribution
folder.

A1. No. If everything's as it should be on your machine, the steps will
have the effect of (a) making the current prompt to install SP3 go away and
(b) will also delete the SP3 installer that apparently downloaded.

A2. If you later approve the download of SP3 again, you'll be back in the
same boat.
--
~PA Bear

Silverfox1 wrote:
> [...]
>>> telling me to install the 66.9MB SP3 update.
>>>
>>> I am running XP Home SP2 and IE 6.0
>>>
>>> How can i STOP or HIDE the SP3 update notification like other high
>>> priority
>>> updates can be hid if the user doesnt want to install them ?
>>>
>>> From my understanding users do NOT have to update to SP3 if they do not
>>> want
>>> to.
>>>
>>> Ever since this update notification has started a few days ago when I
>>> cancel the SP3 install notification in the system tray after awhile I
>>> keep
>>> losing my internet connection and this was not occurring before with my
>>> broadband service.
>>>
>>> So I did try to install SP3 but it will not install properly and I have
>>> decided not to try again.
>>>
>>> So how can I eliminate the constant nagging reminder to install it ?

Silverfox1

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
Thanks for the reply & notification that i had mis-read your first reply. I
will try your tips to the tee & report back soon.

Thanks & Regards

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • AU:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> >> select
> >> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
> >>
> >> Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
> >> “Service Pack installation did not complete”
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
> >> [http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...n-windows-xp/]
> >>
> >> Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
> >> "Service
> >> Pack 3 installation did not complete" and "An internal error occurred":

Silverfox1

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
I did exactly what you suggested and the Windows Update in services.msc would
not stop in a timely manner and the error code 1053 was displayed. The
Windows Update in services.msc is now stuck in the stopping mode and the stop
& start tabs are grayed out.

I went ahead anyway and did delete the contents of the Download folder in
the Software Distribution folder.

Then went to task manager and stopped the wucult.exe and the WU notification
in the system tray went away and hasnt popped back up.

Should i just re-boot the pc in order to get the Automatic Windows Update in
services.msc to restart? I left it in automatic and also still have Notify
Only selected in the Control Panel.

Thanks for any replys

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • AU:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> >> select
> >> Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
> >>
> >> Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
> >> “Service Pack installation did not complete”
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
> >> [http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...n-windows-xp/]
> >>
> >> Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
> >> "Service
> >> Pack 3 installation did not complete" and "An internal error occurred":

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
> Should i just re-boot the pc in order to get the Automatic Windows Update
> in
> services.msc to restart?

Yes, reboot and see if Automatic Update service starts automatically and is
running.
--
~PA Bear

Silverfox1 wrote:
> I did exactly what you suggested and the Windows Update in services.msc
> would not stop in a timely manner and the error code 1053 was displayed.
> The
> Windows Update in services.msc is now stuck in the stopping mode and the
> stop & start tabs are grayed out.
>
> I went ahead anyway and did delete the contents of the Download folder in
> the Software Distribution folder.
>
> Then went to task manager and stopped the wucult.exe and the WU
> notification
> in the system tray went away and hasnt popped back up.
>
> Should i just re-boot the pc in order to get the Automatic Windows Update
> in
> services.msc to restart? I left it in automatic and also still have Notify
> Only selected in the Control Panel.
>
> Thanks for any replys
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Re-read my reply: I said nothing about deleting the SystemDistribution
>> folder.
>>
>> A1. No. If everything's as it should be on your machine, the steps will
>> have the effect of (a) making the current prompt to install SP3 go away
>> and
>> (b) will also delete the SP3 installer that apparently downloaded.
>>
>> A2. If you later approve the download of SP3 again, you'll be back in the
>> same boat.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Silverfox1 wrote:
>>> Last time I attempted to delete the software distributioin folder for
>>> another problem associated with MS updates I had to delete the contents
>>> in
>>> Safe Mode by renaming it SDold, and then a new SD folder is created
>>> during
>>> a re-boot.
>>>
>>> PA Bear, so your saying if I take your suggested steps then the WU
>>> Symbol
>>> will disappear from nagging me in the future to upgrade to SP3 ?
>>>
>>> Or will it just disappear now until it decides to notify me once again
>>> install SP3 and then I am right back where I am now ?
>>>
>>> I have always had WU checked to simply notify me and let me select which
>>> updates I want to Download & install...

Alan

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
Hi PA Bear,

Is there any special reason why you didn't want Silverfox1 to use the
Microsoft Service Pack Blocker tool?

Alan

> [...]
>> telling me to install the 66.9MB SP3 update.
>>
>> I am running XP Home SP2 and IE 6.0
>>
>> How can i STOP or HIDE the SP3 update notification like other high
>> priority
>> updates can be hid if the user doesnt want to install them ?
>>
>> From my understanding users do NOT have to update to SP3 if they do not
>> want
>> to.
>>
>> Ever since this update notification has started a few days ago when I
>> cancel the SP3 install notification in the system tray after awhile I
>> keep
>> losing my internet connection and this was not occurring before with my
>> broadband service.
>>
>> So I did try to install SP3 but it will not install properly and I have
>> decided not to try again.
>>
>> So how can I eliminate the constant nagging reminder to install it ?

Re: SP3 Install Rejected ?
WHy bother when you can use your AU settings to avoid downloading/installing
it?

Alan wrote:
> Hi PA Bear,
>
> Is there any special reason why you didn't want Silverfox1 to use the
> Microsoft Service Pack Blocker tool?

<snip>