XP SP3 seems to have installed but.....

Martin C

XP SP3 seems to have installed but.....
I recently updated my XP Home SP2 with the XP SP3 installation.
I had trouble getting the update to run automatically, so I downloaded the
full file from the MS Update site.
Running the update went smoothly except for one instance.
Towards the end of the installation, two Cmd windows appeared. In the second
one I had a series of 'Invalid parameter' errors appear (or something like
that - I cannot remember the exact phrase now).

From what I can see, the XP SP3 has installed ok. It is referenced on my PC
all over the place.

My question is - did something go wrong, or are the 'errors' just parts of a
batch file that is not applicable to my PC, so did not run those commands.

Is there any way I can tell if something went wrong with the update?

TIA

Martin

Rich

Re: XP SP3 seems to have installed but.....
I saw the same thing with XP Home MCE. I tried installing SP3 with Trend
Micro installed but off and with it uninstalled thinking it caused the
messages.

"Martin C" <martinC@invalid.com> wrote in message
>I recently updated my XP Home SP2 with the XP SP3 installation.
> I had trouble getting the update to run automatically, so I downloaded the
> full file from the MS Update site.
> Running the update went smoothly except for one instance.
> Towards the end of the installation, two Cmd windows appeared. In the
> second one I had a series of 'Invalid parameter' errors appear (or
> something like that - I cannot remember the exact phrase now).
>
> From what I can see, the XP SP3 has installed ok. It is referenced on my
> PC all over the place.
>
> My question is - did something go wrong, or are the 'errors' just parts of
> a batch file that is not applicable to my PC, so did not run those
> commands.
>
> Is there any way I can tell if something went wrong with the update?
>
> TIA
>
> Martin

Charles W Davis

Re: XP SP3 seems to have installed but.....

"Martin C" <martinC@invalid.com> wrote in message
>I recently updated my XP Home SP2 with the XP SP3 installation.
> I had trouble getting the update to run automatically, so I downloaded the
> full file from the MS Update site.
> Running the update went smoothly except for one instance.
> Towards the end of the installation, two Cmd windows appeared. In the
> second one I had a series of 'Invalid parameter' errors appear (or
> something like that - I cannot remember the exact phrase now).
>
> From what I can see, the XP SP3 has installed ok. It is referenced on my
> PC all over the place.
>
> My question is - did something go wrong, or are the 'errors' just parts of
> a batch file that is not applicable to my PC, so did not run those
> commands.
>
> Is there any way I can tell if something went wrong with the update?
>
> TIA
>
> Martin

Return to Windows Update and see if you can install the updates that follow
SP3.