> I just installed a new hard drive and relaoded Windows XP
> Proffessional from a service pack 2 CD. I ran Windows Update and
> installed service pack 3, which apparentlly installed fine. Now
> there are 12 more updates that will not install. I get message
> that says, "A problem with your computer is preventing the
> following updates from installing. " Any help with this problem
> would be greatly appreciated.
> The 12 update that wil not install are as follows:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.
*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.
Hope that helps - come back and let us know!
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way