can't get to Windows Update page

ashleykr

can't get to Windows Update page
When trying to get to Microsoft Updates
(http://www.update.microsoft.com/micr....aspx?ln=en-us), I
get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
problem. " I've poked all around and cannot figure out why this would not
work. I just want to download service pack 2 but all insructions I find
start with going to this page. I have now turned on Auto Updates hoping that
it will download instead but I doubt it will be in the timeframe I want (now,
or actually hours ago!)
Shenan Stanley

Re: can't get to Windows Update page
ashleykr wrote:
> When trying to get to Microsoft Updates
> (http://www.update.microsoft.com/micr....aspx?ln=en-us),
> I get "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the
> page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help
> you solve the problem. " I've poked all around and cannot figure
> out why this would not work. I just want to download service pack
> 2 but all insructions I find start with going to this page. I have
> now turned on Auto Updates hoping that it will download instead but
> I doubt it will be in the timeframe I want (now, or actually hours
> ago!)

Windows version?

Assuming Windows XP - but also then wondering why Service Pack 2 and not
Service Pack 3? (They are cumulative.)

As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Hope that helps - come back and let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

Re: can't get to Windows Update page
Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003, x64 Editions
Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Editions, Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster Edition with
Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003 Storage Server R2, x64 Editions

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org