Should I install SP3

Joe T

Should I install SP3
I've read other posts with problems after SP3 install. I have XP Pro with
service pack 2, IE7. A few posts/responses have said not to. What is the
consensus. If no, why?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Should I install SP3
Joe T wrote:
> I've read other posts with problems after SP3 install. I have XP
> Pro with service pack 2, IE7. A few posts/responses have said not
> to. What is the consensus. If no, why?

There is no consensus to speak of. It's more like two camps. ;-)

Camp One: Don't do it! It'll break everything. Look what it did to me.

Camp Two: Do it, but do it wisely. In general, those who have done it
carefully, step-by-step and properly - everything is now running smoothly.
Not to mention - most of the stuff you need to do to 'prepare" - you should
have been doing all along. ;-)

I push Camp Two's views. Along those lines - you'll need information.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

From PA Bear [MS MVP]:
Workarounds:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
.. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
..
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
..
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
.. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Joe T

Re: Should I install SP3

Hmmm.....Let's me see. I install and I have problems OR I don't and leave it
as the status quo. That's a no brainer.
What makes this update so difficult that a person has to "get ready first"
before installing this. I have never had to read 6 Mircosoft articles on any
of my other prior updates before. I get auto updates.
If Microsoft knew about these problems, what's the point of this service
pack?

Joe T wrote:
> Hmmm.....Let's me see. I install and I have problems OR I don't and
> leave it as the status quo. That's a no brainer.
> What makes this update so difficult that a person has to "get ready
> first" before installing this. I have never had to read 6 Mircosoft
> articles on any of my other prior updates before. I get auto
> updates.
> If Microsoft knew about these problems, what's the point of this
> service pack?

*shrug*
Your choice.
You asked - I answered.

The problems are not caused by SP3 - but by poor third party vendor choices
and/or problems being exposed on the machines in question (those that end up
having the symptoms) often caused - again - by third party vendors/changes
in the OS. Just because installing the 1179 updates all at once exasperates
a problem you didn't *know* you had beforehand - doesn't mean it SP3 caused
the problem.

You could live your whole life and die of a heart attack tomorrow - or by
chance you go to a doctor for something unrelated and they notice something
else, find the problem and put you on a treatment that cures your issue(s)
and you live many years longer.

The posts I gave you were made through troubleshooting of the issues that
individuals had. It is a compiled "cheat-sheet" of known issues that have
been caused by these third-party vendor issues.

Whether it is because you have an AMD processor yet your computer vendor
made their ONLY distributed image on Intel only machines or if some
application you installed changed the permissions on the registry values SP3
needs to work right "for your protection" or if you (another third party)
just didn't know before reading what i posted that if you had IE8 beta
installed when you installed SP3 - you could not roll back to whatever IE
you had before - that is not the Service Pack's fault - it's just doing what
it was designed to do. Patch the original code/files/etc that compose
Windows XP.

As I said - if you already maintain your machine properly - most of the
'preparation' is already done. Most people - it seems - treat their
computers like a toaster. It should just work. When the crumbs build up
and the machine catches on fire because they didn't maintain it - that must
be a manufacturing flaw and they sue.

There are people out there happily running Windows 98SE. Many people who
run *no version* of Windows anywhere in their lives (that they are aware
of.) Many people who run Windows XP with no service pack, with SP1, SP1a,
SP2 and SP3. Many people switched to Vista. Others to Macintosh. I bet
there are a select few out there still trying to muddle through a BeOS
install. *grin*

Again...

*shrug*
Your choice.
You asked - I answered.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Joe T

Re: Should I install SP3
Oops, didn't mean to infer I was dismissing your imput. I think I'll pass on
this one for now. By the way, how do I get rid of the any updates waiting to
be installed. I noticed a "Updates are ready to be installed on your
computer" in the lower right. It may be SP3.

Joe T wrote:
> Oops, didn't mean to infer I was dismissing your imput. I think
> I'll pass on this one for now. By the way, how do I get rid of the
> any updates waiting to be installed. I noticed a "Updates are ready
> to be installed on your computer" in the lower right. It may be SP3.

Sorry if I mis-interpretted the intention behind your response. Hopefully I
answered some of your follow-up concerns as well.

Turn off automatic updates and/or change it to "Notify me but don't
automatically download or install them." (Control Panel --> Automatic
Updates) and then reboot and if the updates come up, double-click on the
shield and uncheck the ones you do not want to install. It will warn you
that you are hiding the updates - but if that is what you want to do...

Also - you could install the SP3 blocker utility (or edit the registry
yourself):

Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit

Registry Edit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\WindowsUpdate

Right click > New > DWORD Value. Enter name as DoNotAllowSP. Double click
the newly created DWORD value and set the value data as 1.

JIC...

Know that the free support for installing (specific and focused free
support) Service Pack 3 stops in April 2009. Waiting until then would be
like waiting to the last minute for tickets to the hottest summer movie that
you *need* to go see on opening night. The line will suck and the fact is -
you might not make it in. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Should I install SP3
Joe T wrote:

> Oops, didn't mean to infer I was dismissing your imput. I think I'll pass on
> this one for now.

Just be aware that security updates for SP2 will stop being released two years
after SP3 was released, i.e., early 2010. Microsoft will provide free support
for any problems with SP3 up until April 14, 2009, so it may be wise to do the
upgrade before then.

If you will be replacing your computer before 2010, I guess you needn't bother. :-)

Harry.
Joe T

Re: Should I install SP3
After reading some of the "precautions" before installing this, one note says
to turn off my antivirus during the download which could take up to 60
minutes.
Doesn't this leave me naked even if I stay on the Microsoft site? It says to
not do anything else on the web while downloading. Makes sense.
I'll wait for a better SP3 with less conflicts? Give me time to update my
3rd party software. Maybe 6 mo.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Joe T wrote:
>
> > Oops, didn't mean to infer I was dismissing your imput. I think I'll pass on
> > this one for now.

> Just be aware that security updates for SP2 will stop being released two years
> after SP3 was released, i.e., early 2010. Microsoft will provide free support
> for any problems with SP3 up until April 14, 2009, so it may be wise to do the
> upgrade before then.
>
> If you will be replacing your computer before 2010, I guess you needn't bother. :-)
>
> Harry.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Should I install SP3
<snipped>

Joe T wrote:
> After reading some of the "precautions" before installing this, one
> note says to turn off my antivirus during the download which could
> take up to 60 minutes.
> Doesn't this leave me naked even if I stay on the Microsoft site?
> It says to not do anything else on the web while downloading. Makes
> sense.
>
> I'll wait for a better SP3 with less conflicts? Give me time to
> update my 3rd party software. Maybe 6 mo.

SP3 will not be changing. Any changes you likely need to do now, you'll
need to do the same things in 6 months. SP3 now is SP3 in a year.

Personally - I think your best bet is to do one of the other options of
install. IT Professional download or download the ISO and create a CD from
it and use the CD to install. In either case - you can disconnect the
computer from whatever witres connect it to the Internet beforehand if it
makes you feel safer while installing it. ;-)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

Although they may *say* it is for people installing on more than one
computer - it's the same SP3 everyone else gets - just think of it as the
'offline installer'.

The CD ISO is an image of an entire CD with some auto-run and clickable
features for easy installation - you would need to use a third party
application to turn that ISO into a real CD. The downloadable executable is
merely the entire install file in one easy-to-run executable file.

As far as 'leaving you naked' - if you have a firewall (if you use the
default Windows firewall and/or if you have a high-speed internet connection
with a DSL/Cable router (Netgear, D-Link, LinkSys, etc) you have another
layer of protection there as well) you do not just 'get a virus' - you would
(in the case of being protected by a firewall) have to download/install it
yourself. Either by checking email and opeing an attachment, getting a file
over IM and opeing it, visiting an infected web page and allowing it to run
things on your computer, etc.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> SP3 will not be changing. Any changes you likely need to do now, you'll
> need to do the same things in 6 months. SP3 now is SP3 in a year.

On the other hand, as far as I know Microsoft still haven't rereleased MS07-050
for IE7 to support Windows XP service pack 3, and last time I checked most of
the .NET stuff wasn't on Windows Update yet either. This seems reason enough to
me to hold off a bit longer.

(If anybody is installing SP3 make sure you install IE7 and MS07-050 beforehand.
Be aware this will mean you can't uninstall IE7.)

Harry.