Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Malicious Software removal tool July 2008 Slows machine down

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2008
ex-snapper
 

Posts: n/a
Malicious Software removal tool July 2008 Slows machine down
In my case it has installed, but when I restart my laptop, it hangs for 35+
seconds after the startup screen. System event log shows a disk failure. As
my laptop was only 2 weeks old, I reported this to the supplier who fitted a
new disk FOC and I spent days reinstalling all the s/w etc.
All ran fine no problems until KB890830 came down to install, then I was
back at the start again. By removing the fix, ( no problem with this) The
laptop returns to its normal speedy self.
Any ideas as I would like to sort this out?

No problem with 4 other machines I have this on. All are running Intel
proc's and genuine MS software very similar builds of HW and Apps.
--
Life is too short, grab everything you can and ENJOY
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Malicious Software removal tool July 2008 Slows machine down
Windows version (e.g. WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed *on this
machine*? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What
third-party firewall (if any)?

What other updates were downloaded and installed at the same time?

After the MSRT installed & ran, did it present a prompt notifying you of a
problem?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


ex-snapper wrote:
> In my case it has installed, but when I restart my laptop, it hangs for
> 35+
> seconds after the startup screen. System event log shows a disk failure.
> As
> my laptop was only 2 weeks old, I reported this to the supplier who fitted
> a
> new disk FOC and I spent days reinstalling all the s/w etc.
> All ran fine no problems until KB890830 came down to install, then I was
> back at the start again. By removing the fix, ( no problem with this) The
> laptop returns to its normal speedy self.
> Any ideas as I would like to sort this out?
>
> No problem with 4 other machines I have this on. All are running Intel
> proc's and genuine MS software very similar builds of HW and Apps.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2008
ex-snapper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Malicious Software removal tool July 2008 Slows machine down
Win XPpro SP2, AVG8.0.138 Free, Default Windows Firewall and IE7 spyware etc
No other downloads accepted. Just MSRT july 2008. MSRT June was OK. Up to
this point the laptop ran faultlessly, a New HDD and a clean build from the
supplied recovery set worked fine. until this MSRT.
After installation there were no problem messages. To all appearences it was
a clean install. I had to use system restore to clear the problem. Now I have
to decline the MSRT every time I power up.
I have run a full scan for viruses and fragmented / bad files. All clean.

Phil
--
Life is too short, grab everything you can and ENJOY


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version (e.g. WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed *on this
> machine*? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What
> third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> What other updates were downloaded and installed at the same time?
>
> After the MSRT installed & ran, did it present a prompt notifying you of a
> problem?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
>
> ex-snapper wrote:
> > In my case it has installed, but when I restart my laptop, it hangs for
> > 35+
> > seconds after the startup screen. System event log shows a disk failure.
> > As
> > my laptop was only 2 weeks old, I reported this to the supplier who fitted
> > a
> > new disk FOC and I spent days reinstalling all the s/w etc.
> > All ran fine no problems until KB890830 came down to install, then I was
> > back at the start again. By removing the fix, ( no problem with this) The
> > laptop returns to its normal speedy self.
> > Any ideas as I would like to sort this out?
> >
> > No problem with 4 other machines I have this on. All are running Intel
> > proc's and genuine MS software very similar builds of HW and Apps.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Malicious Software removal tool July 2008 Slows machine down
I suspect the MSRT had nothing to do with the behavior...unless the machine
is infected and the MSRT only removed some of the BadGuys (which is usually
the case). Your new HDD could be defective.

Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review
by an expert in such matters, not here.**

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/


ex-snapper wrote:
> Win XPpro SP2, AVG8.0.138 Free, Default Windows Firewall and IE7 spyware
> etc
> No other downloads accepted. Just MSRT july 2008. MSRT June was OK. Up to
> this point the laptop ran faultlessly, a New HDD and a clean build from
> the
> supplied recovery set worked fine. until this MSRT.
> After installation there were no problem messages. To all appearences it
> was
> a clean install. I had to use system restore to clear the problem. Now I
> have to decline the MSRT every time I power up.
> I have run a full scan for viruses and fragmented / bad files. All clean.
>
> Phil
>
>> Windows version (e.g. WinXP SP3; Vista SP1)?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed *on this
>> machine*? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What
>> third-party firewall (if any)?
>>
>> What other updates were downloaded and installed at the same time?
>>
>> After the MSRT installed & ran, did it present a prompt notifying you of
>> a
>> problem?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>>
>> ex-snapper wrote:
>>> In my case it has installed, but when I restart my laptop, it hangs for
>>> 35+
>>> seconds after the startup screen. System event log shows a disk
>>> failure.
>>> As
>>> my laptop was only 2 weeks old, I reported this to the supplier who
>>> fitted
>>> a
>>> new disk FOC and I spent days reinstalling all the s/w etc.
>>> All ran fine no problems until KB890830 came down to install, then I
>>> was
>>> back at the start again. By removing the fix, ( no problem with this)
>>> The
>>> laptop returns to its normal speedy self.
>>> Any ideas as I would like to sort this out?
>>>
>>> No problem with 4 other machines I have this on. All are running Intel
>>> proc's and genuine MS software very similar builds of HW and Apps.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830) WozzaTT microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 07-19-2008 16:00
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2008 (KB890830) Cp microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 07-01-2008 20:37
Malicious software removal tool Howard B microsoft.public.windowsupdate 7 04-15-2008 04:44
Malicious Software Removal Tool? CWLee microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 25 02-23-2008 20:52
Malicious Software Removal Tool NJITGS microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 10-27-2007 15:42




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:36.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120