XP SP3 or KB951978 problems

Marcus

XP SP3 or KB951978 problems
Have noticed that after either SP3 for XP which I got this week or KB951978
update on 19/7 that Mailwasher Pro 6.1 stops responding immediately after it
loads up messages, also Outlook Express 6 and IE7 stop responding.

Each time I have to use Task Manager to close down the progs and each time
send an error reprt.

The problem then seems to go away after machine on for minute or so.

Anyone ideas and what happens to the erfror reports?

I was aware of issue with KB951748 and Zone Alarm Security Suite.

Marcus
twinkles

RE: XP SP3 or KB951978 problems
i cant get anything to work on this pc, can you help?

"Marcus" wrote:

> Have noticed that after either SP3 for XP which I got this week or KB951978
> update on 19/7 that Mailwasher Pro 6.1 stops responding immediately after it
> loads up messages, also Outlook Express 6 and IE7 stop responding.
>
> Each time I have to use Task Manager to close down the progs and each time
> send an error reprt.
>
> The problem then seems to go away after machine on for minute or so.
>
> Anyone ideas and what happens to the erfror reports?
>
> I was aware of issue with KB951748 and Zone Alarm Security Suite.
>
> Marcus

Shenan Stanley

Marcus wrote:
> Have noticed that after either SP3 for XP which I got this week or
> KB951978 update on 19/7 that Mailwasher Pro 6.1 stops responding
> immediately after it loads up messages, also Outlook Express 6 and
> IE7 stop responding.
>
> Each time I have to use Task Manager to close down the progs and
> each time send an error reprt.
>
> The problem then seems to go away after machine on for minute or so.
>
> Anyone ideas and what happens to the erfror reports?
>
> I was aware of issue with KB951748 and Zone Alarm Security Suite.

- Do you run Zone Alarm?
- Did you uninstall Zone Alarm and install the latest version? (If you do
run it...)

- Have you checked the MailWasher web pages for support (and updates?)
- Have you uninstalled the update(s) to see if the problem disappears?

As for the error reports - they are sent to MS - as they tell you they are
being. Beyond that - who knows.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Marcus

Re: XP SP3 or KB951978 problems
I do run ZA and my isp advised me what to do to get around the issue & yes
did get the latest ZA version.

I have posted a message on Mailwasher web pages also.

No, have not uninstalled the updates yet, but may try that route as has just
happened the same now when switched on, seems to take pc about 5 minutes to
settle down, is a new Athlon 64 x 2 4800+ 2.51ghz 2gb ram machine.

Marcus

Marcus wrote:
> I do run ZA and my isp advised me what to do to get around the
> issue & yes did get the latest ZA version.
>
> I have posted a message on Mailwasher web pages also.
>
> No, have not uninstalled the updates yet, but may try that route as
> has just happened the same now when switched on, seems to take pc
> about 5 minutes to settle down, is a new Athlon 64 x 2 4800+
> 2.51ghz 2gb ram machine.

Come back and let us know if uninstalling the update 'fixes' the issues you
are having.

If you end up uninstalling each one that was released for July - and it
fixes it - my suggestion is to install them one at a time to see when the
problem returns.

I cannot say that SP3 didn't exasperate some other issue you may have had
already...

Is this your post on the Mailwasher forums?
http://www.castlecops.com/t225188-Ma...ft_XP_SP3.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: XP SP3 or KB951978 problems
[Crossposted to OE General newsgroup]

KB*951748* has nothing to do with this.

You do NOT want to be running MailWasher with OE in WinXP SP3 (nor do you
want ZAISS to be scanning incoming/outgoing mail).

See this recent discussion about a WinXP SP3-specific problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f

For reference, here's a list of things which are known to cause this
behavior:

• Various & sundry anti-virus applications (including Norton);
• Various & sundry anti-spyware applications;
• Various & sundry third-party firewalls;
• Any/all of the above running when SP3 was installed;
• IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL;
• Nero plug-in(s);
• Windows Desktop Search is installed;
• Windows Live Mail is or had been installed;
• Disk defragmentation; and/or
• !!! => MailWasher <= !!!
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Marcus wrote:
> Have noticed that after either SP3 for XP which I got this week or
> KB951978
> update on 19/7 that Mailwasher Pro 6.1 stops responding immediately after
> it
> loads up messages, also Outlook Express 6 and IE7 stop responding.
>
> Each time I have to use Task Manager to close down the progs and each time
> send an error reprt.
>
> The problem then seems to go away after machine on for minute or so.
>
> Anyone ideas and what happens to the erfror reports?
>
> I was aware of issue with KB951748 and Zone Alarm Security Suite.
>
> Marcus

Marcus

Re: XP SP3 or KB951978 problems
Why should I not have Mailwasher Pro running under SP3, paid for it & does a
great job cutting out spam, have had it for good few years now without issues
until these very recent. Not sure the Mailwasher guys would be happy with
this stance.

Why also should I not have ZA doing in/out scans under SP3. Again had that
on my pc for couple of years at least.

I have removed KB951978 but agree probably not to do with this as had same
issue, guess is SP3 based issue.

Have not taken SP3 off at this stage.

Marcus

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to OE General newsgroup]
>
> KB*951748* has nothing to do with this.
>
> You do NOT want to be running MailWasher with OE in WinXP SP3 (nor do you
> want ZAISS to be scanning incoming/outgoing mail).
>
> See this recent discussion about a WinXP SP3-specific problem:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f
>
> For reference, here's a list of things which are known to cause this
> behavior:
>
> • Various & sundry anti-virus applications (including Norton);
> • Various & sundry anti-spyware applications;
> • Various & sundry third-party firewalls;
> • Any/all of the above running when SP3 was installed;
> • IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL;
> • Nero plug-in(s);
> • Windows Desktop Search is installed;
> • Windows Live Mail is or had been installed;
> • Disk defragmentation; and/or
> • !!! => MailWasher <= !!!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Marcus wrote:
> > Have noticed that after either SP3 for XP which I got this week or
> > KB951978
> > update on 19/7 that Mailwasher Pro 6.1 stops responding immediately after
> > it
> > loads up messages, also Outlook Express 6 and IE7 stop responding.
> >
> > Each time I have to use Task Manager to close down the progs and each time
> > send an error reprt.
> >
> > The problem then seems to go away after machine on for minute or so.
> >
> > Anyone ideas and what happens to the erfror reports?
> >
> > I was aware of issue with KB951748 and Zone Alarm Security Suite.
> >
> > Marcus

Re: XP SP3 or KB951978 problems
If you want to "break" Outlook Express and put up with contant nags to
compact your files (and run the risk of losing all your messages if
Automatic Compacting takes place), do so. Just don't complain about it if
and when it happens.
--
~PA Bear

Marcus wrote:
> Why should I not have Mailwasher Pro running under SP3, paid for it & does
> great job cutting out spam, have had it for good few years now without
> issues until these very recent. Not sure the Mailwasher guys would be
> happy
> with this stance.
>
> Why also should I not have ZA doing in/out scans under SP3. Again had that
> on my pc for couple of years at least.
>
> I have removed KB951978 but agree probably not to do with this as had same
> issue, guess is SP3 based issue.
>
> Have not taken SP3 off at this stage.
>
> Marcus
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crossposted to OE General newsgroup]
>>
>> KB*951748* has nothing to do with this.
>>
>> You do NOT want to be running MailWasher with OE in WinXP SP3 (nor do you
>> want ZAISS to be scanning incoming/outgoing mail).
>>
>> See this recent discussion about a WinXP SP3-specific problem:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f
>>
>> For reference, here's a list of things which are known to cause this
>> behavior:
>>
>> • Various & sundry anti-virus applications (including Norton);
>> • Various & sundry anti-spyware applications;
>> • Various & sundry third-party firewalls;
>> • Any/all of the above running when SP3 was installed;
>> • IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL;
>> • Nero plug-in(s);
>> • Windows Desktop Search is installed;
>> • Windows Live Mail is or had been installed;
>> • Disk defragmentation; and/or
>> • !!! => MailWasher <= !!!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Marcus wrote:
>>> Have noticed that after either SP3 for XP which I got this week or
>>> KB951978
>>> update on 19/7 that Mailwasher Pro 6.1 stops responding immediately
>>> after
>>> it
>>> loads up messages, also Outlook Express 6 and IE7 stop responding.
>>>
>>> Each time I have to use Task Manager to close down the progs and each
>>> time
>>> send an error reprt.
>>>
>>> The problem then seems to go away after machine on for minute or so.
>>>
>>> Anyone ideas and what happens to the erfror reports?
>>>
>>> I was aware of issue with KB951748 and Zone Alarm Security Suite.
>>>
>>> Marcus

Marcus

Re: XP SP3 or KB951978 problems
I have never mentioned the compacting thing, but have had this compacting
request also for about a week now, so guess XP3 causes that? I have said no
ever time asked.

Does SP3 offer the protection that stopping ZA in/out scans I assume does.

Can I use Mailwasher Pro if I do not ask it to start up with Windows as does
now.

Re my OE messages, I have them stored on a partition on my HD, one each for
my 3 identities, named as OE Store.

Why has Microsoft issue SP3 for XP if aware causes so many issues?

Marcus

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If you want to "break" Outlook Express and put up with contant nags to
> compact your files (and run the risk of losing all your messages if
> Automatic Compacting takes place), do so. Just don't complain about it if
> and when it happens.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Marcus wrote:
> > Why should I not have Mailwasher Pro running under SP3, paid for it & does
> > great job cutting out spam, have had it for good few years now without
> > issues until these very recent. Not sure the Mailwasher guys would be
> > happy
> > with this stance.
> >
> > Why also should I not have ZA doing in/out scans under SP3. Again had that
> > on my pc for couple of years at least.
> >
> > I have removed KB951978 but agree probably not to do with this as had same
> > issue, guess is SP3 based issue.
> >
> > Have not taken SP3 off at this stage.
> >
> > Marcus
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Crossposted to OE General newsgroup]
> >>
> >> KB*951748* has nothing to do with this.
> >>
> >> You do NOT want to be running MailWasher with OE in WinXP SP3 (nor do you
> >> want ZAISS to be scanning incoming/outgoing mail).
> >>
> >> See this recent discussion about a WinXP SP3-specific problem:
> >> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f
> >>
> >> For reference, here's a list of things which are known to cause this
> >> behavior:
> >>
> >> • Various & sundry anti-virus applications (including Norton);
> >> • Various & sundry anti-spyware applications;
> >> • Various & sundry third-party firewalls;
> >> • Any/all of the above running when SP3 was installed;
> >> • IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL;
> >> • Nero plug-in(s);
> >> • Windows Desktop Search is installed;
> >> • Windows Live Mail is or had been installed;
> >> • Disk defragmentation; and/or
> >> • !!! => MailWasher <= !!!
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Marcus

Re: XP SP3 or KB951978 problems
Just looked at the google messages stuff.

When I downloaded SP3 I will have had ZA running and this has the virus, spy
checking & firewall elements.

Did have Windows Live on my pc but never used it since installed so have
just taken all of it off my pc.

Should I do a system restore prior to SP3 and then do an update serch for
SP3 and then close down ZA when it downloads, how safe is this when on
broadband?

May that get around the issue of compacting and the stopped responding.

Marcus