XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs

transplantedtexan1965

XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs
Installed Windows XP SP3 yesterday. Since then every time Outlook
(2003)executes a send/receive it downloads EVERY e-mail sent to our e-mail
address since the XP update, regardless whether we have read it, deleted it,
etc. We are now up to 20-25 copies of messages received yesterday and the
list is growing! At this rate we'll be receiving 1,000 e-mails per day in a
couple weeks. We have had to be diligent about deleting the multiple copies
every 15 minutes. It's bizarre!
Tried uninstalling SP3 but the multiple copies continue.
--
Thanks,
Pat
Shenan Stanley

Re: XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs
transplantedtexan1965 wrote:
> Installed Windows XP SP3 yesterday. Since then every time Outlook
> (2003)executes a send/receive it downloads EVERY e-mail sent to our
> e-mail address since the XP update, regardless whether we have read
> it, deleted it, etc. We are now up to 20-25 copies of messages
> received yesterday and the list is growing! At this rate we'll be
> receiving 1,000 e-mails per day in a couple weeks. We have had to
> be diligent about deleting the multiple copies every 15 minutes.
> It's bizarre!
> Tried uninstalling SP3 but the multiple copies continue.

Uninstall Outlook 2003 - reinstall it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

transplantedtexan1965

Re: XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs
Have the disk in hand and ready to uninstall/re-install. Is there any risk
of wiping out our PST folder or the inbox (which has several hundred messages
we have not yet filed in the PST)?
--
Thanks

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> transplantedtexan1965 wrote:
> > Installed Windows XP SP3 yesterday. Since then every time Outlook
> > (2003)executes a send/receive it downloads EVERY e-mail sent to our
> > e-mail address since the XP update, regardless whether we have read
> > it, deleted it, etc. We are now up to 20-25 copies of messages
> > received yesterday and the list is growing! At this rate we'll be
> > receiving 1,000 e-mails per day in a couple weeks. We have had to
> > be diligent about deleting the multiple copies every 15 minutes.
> > It's bizarre!
> > Tried uninstalling SP3 but the multiple copies continue.

> Uninstall Outlook 2003 - reinstall it.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

TaurArian

Re: XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs
Always back up (never take risks with important stuff).

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...875321033.aspx
Using the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"transplantedtexan1965" <transplantedtexan1965@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
| Have the disk in hand and ready to uninstall/re-install. Is there any risk
| of wiping out our PST folder or the inbox (which has several hundred messages
| we have not yet filed in the PST)?
| --
| Thanks
|

| "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
|
| > transplantedtexan1965 wrote:
| > > Installed Windows XP SP3 yesterday. Since then every time Outlook
| > > (2003)executes a send/receive it downloads EVERY e-mail sent to our
| > > e-mail address since the XP update, regardless whether we have read
| > > it, deleted it, etc. We are now up to 20-25 copies of messages
| > > received yesterday and the list is growing! At this rate we'll be
| > > receiving 1,000 e-mails per day in a couple weeks. We have had to
| > > be diligent about deleting the multiple copies every 15 minutes.
| > > It's bizarre!
| > > Tried uninstalling SP3 but the multiple copies continue.
| >
| > Uninstall Outlook 2003 - reinstall it.
| >
| > --
| > Shenan Stanley
| > MS-MVP
| > --
| > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
| > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

GTS

Re: XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs
Check the Email account settings in Outlook to see whether leave mail on
server is set. If it is uncheck it. If it is not checked try checking it
and save and then reopen Outlook and unchecking again. (Toggling a setting
this way sometimes fixes a problem registry key.)
--

wrote in message news:35DC9C66-62A3-4B39-94AD-C0C6CAB64154@microsoft.com...
> Installed Windows XP SP3 yesterday. Since then every time Outlook
> (2003)executes a send/receive it downloads EVERY e-mail sent to our e-mail
> address since the XP update, regardless whether we have read it, deleted
> it,
> etc. We are now up to 20-25 copies of messages received yesterday and the
> list is growing! At this rate we'll be receiving 1,000 e-mails per day in
> couple weeks. We have had to be diligent about deleting the multiple
> copies
> every 15 minutes. It's bizarre!
> Tried uninstalling SP3 but the multiple copies continue.
> --
> Thanks,
> Pat

transplantedtexan1965

Re: XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs
No luck.
Spent 5-6 hours backing up and cleaning Inbox and storage folders - which
admittedly should have been done all along - following TaurArian's helpful
advice and links. Then uninstalled and re-installed Outlook, then the entire
Office Small Bus. Ed. 2003. (Thanks for that tip, Shenan Stanley). Also
tried toggling the "Leave Message on Server" box. (Thanks, GTS).
The only difference is the messages removed from the Inbox to a "Saved
Inbox" PST folder to be dealt with later no longer download.
I suppose we could download e-mail once a day and ensure everything is moved
to a PST (even deleting with SHIFT-DELETE does not stop the messages being
resent) but that seems like an archaic, brute-force approach.
What we've gained from this exercise is a streamlined Inbox (good thing), XP
SP3 updates (unknown thing), and a loss of years of accumulated junk e-mail
filters and other Office settings (bad thing).
Anyone have any ideas?
--
Thanks

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Always back up (never take risks with important stuff).
>
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...875321033.aspx
> Using the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "transplantedtexan1965" <transplantedtexan1965@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> | Have the disk in hand and ready to uninstall/re-install. Is there any risk
> | of wiping out our PST folder or the inbox (which has several hundred messages
> | we have not yet filed in the PST)?
> | --
> | Thanks

> | > Uninstall Outlook 2003 - reinstall it.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Shenan Stanley
> | > MS-MVP
> | > --
> | > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> | > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

TaurArian

Re: XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs
Why not post to the Outlook NG for further assistance -
Web Client -
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...verview.mspx#2

--

| No luck.
| Spent 5-6 hours backing up and cleaning Inbox and storage folders - which
| admittedly should have been done all along - following TaurArian's helpful
| advice and links. Then uninstalled and re-installed Outlook, then the entire
| Office Small Bus. Ed. 2003. (Thanks for that tip, Shenan Stanley). Also
| tried toggling the "Leave Message on Server" box. (Thanks, GTS).
| The only difference is the messages removed from the Inbox to a "Saved
| Inbox" PST folder to be dealt with later no longer download.
| I suppose we could download e-mail once a day and ensure everything is moved
| to a PST (even deleting with SHIFT-DELETE does not stop the messages being
| resent) but that seems like an archaic, brute-force approach.
| What we've gained from this exercise is a streamlined Inbox (good thing), XP
| SP3 updates (unknown thing), and a loss of years of accumulated junk e-mail
| filters and other Office settings (bad thing).
| Anyone have any ideas?
| --
| Thanks
|

| "TaurArian" wrote:
|
| > Always back up (never take risks with important stuff).
| >
| > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...875321033.aspx
| > Using the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool
| > --
| >
| > TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
| > http://taurarian.mvps.org
| > ======================================
| > How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
| >

| > "transplantedtexan1965" <transplantedtexan1965@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in
message
| > | Have the disk in hand and ready to uninstall/re-install. Is there any risk
| > | of wiping out our PST folder or the inbox (which has several hundred messages
| > | we have not yet filed in the PST)?
| > | --
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > |
| > | "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
| > |

transplantedtexan1965

Re: XP SP3 causes Outlook to download multiple copies of msgs
TaurArian, that's exactly my thoughts. Anyone following this thread has some
good tips for XP SP3 download problems with particular programs (should apply
to more than just Outlook 2003) but I will summarize this thread and post a
question, if necessary, or a result, if successful, on the Outlook forum
after I check out the FAQ's, Outlook forum threads, and do a couple Google
searches. May be a day or two.
--
Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Pat