Need Help.

Andy

Need Help.
Hi
I have just rebooted my laptop. When it had finished I went to windows
update and started to update the computer,. It installed windows Service
pack 3 and since then the other updates that need to be downloaded and
installed like windows media player 11 wont install, they download ok but
when windows update gose to install them it comes up and says failed. It
says i need to Update Rollup for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
(KB925766) but again it downloads ok but fails on the install. Any ideas?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Need Help.
Andy wrote:
> I have just rebooted my laptop. When it had finished I went to
> windows update and started to update the computer,. It installed
> windows Service pack 3 and since then the other updates that need
> to be downloaded and installed like windows media player 11 wont
> install, they download ok but when windows update gose to install
> them it comes up and says failed. It says i need to Update Rollup
> for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB925766) but again it
> downloads ok but fails on the install. Any ideas?

Rebooted your laptop - is this an uncommon thing? Do you normally keep it
on all the time and do not even reboot when you get updates?

Or - was that a poor choice of words and you just installed Windows XP onto
your computer (clean or repair installation?)

In any case - your fix is simple and posted dozens of times in this very
newsgroup...

As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Hope that helps - come back and let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP