RE: 80240016 Install Error

Geoff B

RE: 80240016 Install Error
Finally fixed!

My Dell laptop had Error Code 80240016 whenever Vista tried to do an update.
There were four updates in a queue over the last two months that would not
install. Could not get around this even by trying to do manual updates.

I read the various fixes on the web such as running sfc /scannow in the DOS
window. Had to turn off User Account Control first to give me real
Administrator rights but sfc /scannow still showed errors and the updates
continued to fail. I emailed Microsoft for help and they suggested I trawl
through the web looking for a solution. That was no help at all.

The solution: turned off Windows Defender, which is next to useless, then
installed SpyBot. This found an Internet redirector called Zlob. Once this is
exterminated, the updates started working. Zlog may have redirect Windows
update in a way that downloads could not occur. Seems bizarre that Microsoft
is so defenceless and updates that could fix the problem are blocked.

"ohkala" wrote:

> I have the same problem as Rhio (post of 9/25). Update will not install and
> shows Error Code 80240016 - computer runs forever but nothing happens.
> Reboot doesn't help. Can't figure out what other update is still installing.
> Beginning to get really annoying.

CQ

RE: 80240016 Install Error
HI all,

I know that this is an OLD thread. However, I was encountering this for the
last two months. The resolution for me was that I had a virus on the machine
called "System Security" which just blocked updates. No other errors to
speak of. Thanks Geoff for your post since it is what drove me down the
virus path.