WU XP KB951748

Karyn

WU XP KB951748
Hi Is anyone having difficulties since installing latest update for XP ? ie
Firewall no longer works, cant connect if you able it?
--
Karyn in NZ

Re: WU XP KB951748
Are you running ZoneAlarm?

Karyn wrote:
> Hi Is anyone having difficulties since installing latest update for XP ?
> ie
> Firewall no longer works, cant connect if you able it?

Shenan Stanley

Re: WU XP KB951748
Karyn wrote:
> Hi Is anyone having difficulties since installing latest update for
> XP ? ie Firewall no longer works, cant connect if you able it?

Is your 'firewall' Zone Alarm?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Margaret

Re: WU XP KB951748
I'm having what looks like the same problem and I run Zone Alarm. When I
restore my system to a point before this update, it works fine, but after
KB951748 installs I am able to connect to my wireless router, but cannot get
past it to the internet.

Is there a Zone Alarm setting that needs to be fixed?

Margaret wrote:
> I'm having what looks like the same problem and I run Zone Alarm.
> When I restore my system to a point before this update, it works
> fine, but after KB951748 installs I am able to connect to my
> wireless router, but cannot get past it to the internet.
>
> Is there a Zone Alarm setting that needs to be fixed?

Could have gone to Zone Alarm's web page to find out... but...
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html

Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem
Date Published : 8 July 2008
Date Last Revised : 14 July 2008

Overview : Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet
access for ZoneAlarm users on Windows XP/2000. Windows Vista users are not
affected.

Impact : Sudden loss of internet access

Platforms Affected : ZoneAlarm Free, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus,
ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite

Recommended Actions -

Download and install the latest versions which solve the loss of internet
access problem here (English only):

Once you have installed the new version of your product go to "start >
windows update" and re-install the Microsoft patch.

If you do not *pay* for Zone Alarm - you have:
- ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall

Good Luck...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

banned4ever

Re: WU XP KB951748

Obviously this is an issue that goes beyond "Zone Alarm" as I was not
running it and I still could not access the internet after installing
update KB951748. In fact I shut down all security programs and it still
would not access the internet. Unless it is due to having Zone Alarm
installed even though it is not running, this update appears to disable
the ability of the computer to get past a router.

--
banned4ever
banned4ever's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?u=53254

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Re: WU XP KB951748
banned4ever wrote:
> Obviously this is an issue that goes beyond "Zone Alarm" as I was
> not running it and I still could not access the internet after
> installing update KB951748. In fact I shut down all security
> programs and it still would not access the internet. Unless it is
> due to having Zone Alarm installed even though it is not running,
> this update appears to disable the ability of the computer to get
> past a router.

Except that MANY people have installed said patch that sit behind a 'router'
and have no trouble what-so-ever.

If you are having trouble and do not even have Zone Alarm installed (or if
you do have Zone Alarm installed - have uninstalled Zone Alarm and installed
the latest version of Zone Alarm) - then your problem *is different* and you
should post about it in a new thread with details about your system and what
you have done to try and fix it and what has/has not worked in your trials.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

banned4ever

Re: WU XP KB951748

OK, the Zone Alarm update worked; I can now access the internet with the
XP update installed. Very strange that I wasn't even running Zone Alarm
though it is installed.

Thanks Shenan

banned4ever wrote:
> OK, the Zone Alarm update worked; I can now access the internet
> with the XP update installed. Very strange that I wasn't even
> running Zone Alarm though it is installed.
>
> Thanks Shenan

No problem...

--
Shenan Stanley