Failure

Seancliett

Failure
When attemping to use the Windows Update web-site, it acts as if it is
scanning, but the end result comes to a page saying that it cannot go
through. I thought that maybe it was just my old computer being a "dum-dum",
but since i just bought a brand new dell, I am still having the same issue.
Though the auto-update feature that runs by itself in the icon tray seems to
work fine, but that is an issue because the computer updates when it feels
like it lol
TaurArian

Re: Failure
Without the exact message I'm only guessing here -

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you see the 0x8024D00C error
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...n=en&IsMu=True

Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web site on a
Windows XP-based computer: "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
requested page"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.
Additionally, you see "[Error number: 0x8024D00C]" in the upper-right corner of the Web
page.

Additional information -

1. If you have any of these programs, they can affect Windows Update:-
Download Accelerator, GetRight, Browser Blaster, BitTorrent, eMule, Sygate Personal
Firewall, Norton Internet Security, Freedom Firewall, Zone Alarm Firewall

2. Check these services to make sure they are configured correctly:-
Click Start, select Run, type: services.msc
OK.
Check that "Cryptographic Services" service is set to automatic and started.
Check the service "Automatic Updates", now click on the Log On tab, ensure the option
"Local System account"
is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked. Also
heck to see if the service has
been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, click the Enable button to enable it.
Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic", click the button
"Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.
Check the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) by repeating the above steps.

3. Try renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder (there may be corrupted files)

Click Start, Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:
a. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%, and then click OK.
b. Right-click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename.
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click Start. Choose Run.
In the Run box, type services.msc.
Click OK.
Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

4. You Cannot Install Some Updates or Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org