Will not update anything

uniquewoman

Will not update anything
I have been trying for days to update all I get is the message to say that
the following could not be installed:
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1
(KB928366)
Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978)

Anyone got any ideas?

I don't feel like formatting which I had to do last week

uniquewoman

RE: Will not update anything
Sorry forgot to mention that I am on XP home

"uniquewoman" wrote:

> I have been trying for days to update all I get is the message to say that
> the following could not be installed:
> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1
> (KB928366)
> Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
> Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
> Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> I don't feel like formatting which I had to do last week

Shenan Stanley

Re: Will not update anything
uniquewoman wrote:
> I have been trying for days to update all I get is the message to
> say that the following could not be installed:
> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service
> Pack 1 (KB928366)
> Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
> Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP
> (KB950760) Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> (KB950759) Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
> Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> I don't feel like formatting which I had to do last week

Feel like searching the newsgroups/web? (Rhetorical.. *grin*)

As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Hope that helps - come back and let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Will not update anything
> I don't feel like formatting which I had to do last week

CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

NB: Also applies to clean installs, upgrade installs, and Recovery installs.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

uniquewoman wrote:
> I have been trying for days to update all I get is the message to say that
> the following could not be installed:
> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1
> (KB928366)
> Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
> Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> (KB950759)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
> Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> I don't feel like formatting which I had to do last week

uniquewoman

Re: Will not update anything
Thank you very very much, it worked......

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> uniquewoman wrote:
> > I have been trying for days to update all I get is the message to
> > say that the following could not be installed:
> > Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service
> > Pack 1 (KB928366)
> > Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
> > Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP
> > (KB950760) Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
> > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> > (KB950759) Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
> > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
> > Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas?
> >
> > I don't feel like formatting which I had to do last week

> Feel like searching the newsgroups/web? (Rhetorical.. *grin*)
>
> As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
> referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
> not you repaired anything.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> Try method 1 and try to update*.
> If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.
>
> *try to update:
> - Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
> - If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
> or "Express" - do so.
> - Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
> - Scan for updates.
> - When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
> - You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
> avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.
>
> Hope that helps - come back and let us know!
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

PW

Re: Will not update anything
I had issue 2.

I had already installed SP3 for XP Pro, and couldn't get any WU to work.

I stopped the windows update service, renamed the SoftwareDistribution
directory, and then restarted the service.

A new directory was created, and I then got my WU to download and install
successfully.

Cheers for the info Charles!

"Charles W Davis" wrote:

> I experienced a similar, but possibly more involved, problem with a Computer
> Club member's computer yesterday.
> Issue #1.
> In this case Access Denied when attempting to install Windows XP Service
> Pack 3. Ran the subinacl to and installed SP3 in safe mode with networking.
> the subinacl tool is available here:
>
> Issue #2.
> Then, no other downloads would install. Now, it turned out the "download
> destination" folder was corrupted.
> The problem was solved by renaming the Windows SoftwareDistribution folder
> to SoftwareDistributionOLD. Rebooted and the returned to Windows Update and
> all except the .NET updates installed. Then this executable was downloaded
> dotnetfx3setup.exe from this Microsoft site:
>
> How did I know to do this? I didn't!
> The SP3 issue was actually fixed by a Microsoft technican with access to the
> computer.
> The second issued was also fixed by a second Microsoft technician with
> access to the computer.
> I started the process here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173
>
> "uniquewoman" <uniquewoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news26CCEE0-DC8C-40F9-AB05-24124A9CA38A@microsoft.com...
> >I have been trying for days to update all I get is the message to say that
> > the following could not be installed:
> > Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1
> > (KB928366)
> > Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
> > Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
> > Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
> > (KB950759)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
> > Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2008 (KB890830)
> > Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)
> > Update for Windows XP (KB951978)
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas?
> >
> > I don't feel like formatting which I had to do last week

fcbrants

Re: Will not update anything
<Snip>

This worked for me - I didn't think this article applied to my situation at
first because I had a Clean Install (Formatted drive) of XP SP2 & had
successfully installed XP SP3.

Method 1 (register wups2.dll) worked for me.

Franko