wuauclt.exe

Sunsetlover

wuauclt.exe
Hello,
Should wuauclt.exe be running 3-4 times a day? which also of course brings
up wmiprvse? Yesterday it even came up 2 minutes after I checked "windows
update" myself.

I have set Auto Updates to auto download but I choose when to install.

XP SP2
Thank you.

Re: wuauclt.exe
A1. Yes.

A2. What about "wmiprvse"?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Sunsetlover wrote:
> Hello,
> Should wuauclt.exe be running 3-4 times a day? which also of course brings
> up wmiprvse? Yesterday it even came up 2 minutes after I checked "windows
> update" myself.
>
> I have set Auto Updates to auto download but I choose when to install.
>
> XP SP2
> Thank you.

Sunsetlover

Re: wuauclt.exe
Hello,

I noticed that almost every time wuauclt.exe comes up, wmiprvse.exe also
comes up, under Network Service. They don't hog RAM or give me errors, I'm
just annoyed with the frequency they come up. wmiprvse is located in
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\, size 218112 bytes.

Thank you!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> A1. Yes.
>
> A2. What about "wmiprvse"?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Sunsetlover wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Should wuauclt.exe be running 3-4 times a day? which also of course brings
> > up wmiprvse? Yesterday it even came up 2 minutes after I checked "windows
> > update" myself.
> >
> > I have set Auto Updates to auto download but I choose when to install.
> >
> > XP SP2
> > Thank you.

Re: wuauclt.exe
You're seeing 100% normal behavior.

Remember the First Law of Computing: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Sunsetlover wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that almost every time wuauclt.exe comes up, wmiprvse.exe also
> comes up, under Network Service. They don't hog RAM or give me errors, I'm
> just annoyed with the frequency they come up. wmiprvse is located in
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\, size 218112 bytes.
>
> Thank you!
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> A1. Yes.
>>
>> A2. What about "wmiprvse"?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Sunsetlover wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Should wuauclt.exe be running 3-4 times a day? which also of course
>>> brings
>>> up wmiprvse? Yesterday it even came up 2 minutes after I checked
>>> "windows
>>> update" myself.
>>>
>>> I have set Auto Updates to auto download but I choose when to install.
>>>
>>> XP SP2
>>> Thank you.

Sunsetlover

Re: wuauclt.exe
If Microsoft doesn't update 3-4 times a day(!), then they shouldn't come up
3-4 a day. Once a day would be enough.

Also I wanted to ask, does the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB
812130) need to be installed every time I do a manual check on Windows
Update? I downloaded and installed it last week, it asked me again to install
just now. This is very time consuming.

Thank you!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You're seeing 100% normal behavior.
>
> Remember the First Law of Computing: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>

> Sunsetlover wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed that almost every time wuauclt.exe comes up, wmiprvse.exe also
> > comes up, under Network Service. They don't hog RAM or give me errors, I'm
> > just annoyed with the frequency they come up. wmiprvse is located in
> > C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\, size 218112 bytes.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> A1. Yes.
> >>
> >> A2. What about "wmiprvse"?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: wuauclt.exe
Sunsetlover wrote:

> If Microsoft doesn't update 3-4 times a day(!), then they shouldn't come up
> 3-4 a day. Once a day would be enough.

Be that as it may, this is the intended behaviour and to the best of my
knowledge it is not configurable.

> Also I wanted to ask, does the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB
> 812130) need to be installed every time I do a manual check on Windows
> Update? I downloaded and installed it last week, it asked me again to install
> just now.

I believe it has been updated recently, even though it isn't officially a new
version. It doesn't normally ask each time.

Harry.

--
Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174
Sunsetlover

Re: wuauclt.exe
Hello,

I just did a manual Windows Update, and I needed to install the Windows
Genuine Advantage Validation Tool again!

And after installing it, it had to check again for updates. The whole
process took more than 15 min. just to update my Windows Defender! There's
has to be a more efficient process.

Thank you

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Sunsetlover wrote:
>
> > If Microsoft doesn't update 3-4 times a day(!), then they shouldn't come up
> > 3-4 a day. Once a day would be enough.

> Be that as it may, this is the intended behaviour and to the best of my
> knowledge it is not configurable.
>
> > Also I wanted to ask, does the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB
> > 812130) need to be installed every time I do a manual check on Windows
> > Update? I downloaded and installed it last week, it asked me again to install
> > just now.

> I believe it has been updated recently, even though it isn't officially a new
> version. It doesn't normally ask each time.
>
> Harry.
>
> --
> Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174

pissedoff

Re: wuauclt.exe
I get 2 wuauclt.exe running at once under different user names

The second law is: "Microsoft is broken and can't be fixed." There are
people who work for mircosoft making virus for your computer. If your
computer is working you are not going to buy a new one. Take Mark Russinovich
who made the Sysinternals Bluescreen Screen Saver. blphct69j0ev3t.scr it make
it look like the computer has reboot after a blue screen massage.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You're seeing 100% normal behavior.
>
> Remember the First Law of Computing: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
>

> Sunsetlover wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed that almost every time wuauclt.exe comes up, wmiprvse.exe also
> > comes up, under Network Service. They don't hog RAM or give me errors, I'm
> > just annoyed with the frequency they come up. wmiprvse is located in
> > C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\, size 218112 bytes.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> A1. Yes.
> >>
> >> A2. What about "wmiprvse"?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: wuauclt.exe
pissedoff wrote:

> I get 2 wuauclt.exe running at once under different user names

For the reference of anyone else reading this thread, this is normal. There may
be an instance of wuauclt running for each currently logged in user (these
present the taskbar icon and user interface, or are used by Windows Update or
Microsoft Update) plus one under SYSTEM (this one handles automatic updating).

> The second law is: "Microsoft is broken and can't be fixed." There are
> people who work for mircosoft making virus for your computer.

Were they also behind the assassination of JFK?

> Take Mark Russinovich
> who made the Sysinternals Bluescreen Screen Saver. blphct69j0ev3t.scr it make
> it look like the computer has reboot after a blue screen massage.

... and this is a problem why exactly? Why would you install it if you didn't
know what it does? (Incidentally, Mark was not working for Microsoft at the
time this software was originally released.)

Harry.

--
Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174