Cannot run Windows Update

Captainswoosh

Cannot run Windows Update
OS = Vista Home Premium

When I try to run Windows update manually, I receive the following error;

Windows could not search for new updates, along with error Code 800F080D.

I have windows update set to receive and install automatically. The last
update is dated 25 June 2008.

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
Just a question: Are you running Vista or Vista SP1?

=========================

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Tip: Skip the blather and scroll down to the "How to avoid this problem"
section at the bottom of the page.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Captainswoosh wrote:
> OS = Vista Home Premium
>
> When I try to run Windows update manually, I receive the following error;
>
> Windows could not search for new updates, along with error Code 800F080D.
>
> I have windows update set to receive and install automatically. The last
> update is dated 25 June 2008.

Captainswoosh

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
Vista SP1.

I have since received an automatic update, but I still receive the error
when attempting to run manually.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Just a question: Are you running Vista or Vista SP1?
>
> =========================
>
> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
> computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
>
> Tip: Skip the blather and scroll down to the "How to avoid this problem"
> section at the bottom of the page.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Captainswoosh wrote:
> > OS = Vista Home Premium
> >
> > When I try to run Windows update manually, I receive the following error;
> >
> > Windows could not search for new updates, along with error Code 800F080D.
> >
> > I have windows update set to receive and install automatically. The last
> > update is dated 25 June 2008.

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on your machine when you bought it, did you
install it via Windows Update, or did you install it manually?

Repost:
>> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
>> computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
>>
>> Tip: Skip the blather and scroll down to the "How to avoid this problem"
>> section at the bottom of the page.

Did you do this or was KB937287 already installed?

NB: I usually IGNORE threads where a reply hasn't been made in a timely
fashion.
--
~PA Bear

Captainswoosh wrote:
> Vista SP1.
>
> I have since received an automatic update, but I still receive the error
> when attempting to run manually.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Just a question: Are you running Vista or Vista SP1?
>>
>> =========================
>>
>> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
>> computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
>>
>> Tip: Skip the blather and scroll down to the "How to avoid this problem"
>> section at the bottom of the page.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Captainswoosh wrote:
>>> OS = Vista Home Premium
>>>
>>> When I try to run Windows update manually, I receive the following
>>> error;
>>>
>>> Windows could not search for new updates, along with error Code
>>> 800F080D.
>>>
>>> I have windows update set to receive and install automatically. The last
>>> update is dated 25 June 2008.

Captainswoosh

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
SP1 was installed via windows update.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on your machine when you bought it, did you
> install it via Windows Update, or did you install it manually?
>
> Repost:
> >> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
> >> computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
> >>
> >> Tip: Skip the blather and scroll down to the "How to avoid this problem"
> >> section at the bottom of the page.

> Did you do this or was KB937287 already installed?
>
> NB: I usually IGNORE threads where a reply hasn't been made in a timely
> fashion.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Captainswoosh wrote:
> > Vista SP1.
> >
> > I have since received an automatic update, but I still receive the error
> > when attempting to run manually.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Just a question: Are you running Vista or Vista SP1?
> >>
> >> =========================
> >>
> >> The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
> >> computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358
> >>
> >> Tip: Skip the blather and scroll down to the "How to avoid this problem"
> >> section at the bottom of the page.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
<blood/stone> And...?

Captainswoosh wrote:
> SP1 was installed via windows update.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on your machine when you bought it, did
>> you
>> install it via Windows Update, or did you install it manually?
>>
>> Repost:

>> Did you do this or was KB937287 already installed?
>>
>> NB: I usually IGNORE threads where a reply hasn't been made in a timely
>> fashion.
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Captainswoosh wrote:
>>> Vista SP1.
>>>
>>> I have since received an automatic update, but I still receive the error
>>> when attempting to run manually.

Captainswoosh

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
What is it that I'm not telling you?

KB937287 successfully installed on my PC - 13th Feb 2008
KB936330 (SP1) successfully installed - 18th March 2008 (2nd attempt (1st
attempt failed))

Windows update states - most recent check for updates - 25/June/2008.
Updates were installed 26/July/2008 (Failed) KB940157 (windows search 4.0)

By the way - delays in responding are partly due to the time difference. I
am located in Scotland.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> <blood/stone> And...?
>
> Captainswoosh wrote:
> > SP1 was installed via windows update.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Did Vista SP1 come preinstalled on your machine when you bought it, did
> >> you
> >> install it via Windows Update, or did you install it manually?
> >>
> >> Repost:

> >> Did you do this or was KB937287 already installed?
> >>
> >> NB: I usually IGNORE threads where a reply hasn't been made in a timely
> >> fashion.
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
Reposting again:

>>> Did you do this or was KB937287 already installed?

[Your posts appear here in real-time. I don't "live" in this newsgroup
24/7.]

Captainswoosh wrote:
> What is it that I'm not telling you?
>
> KB937287 successfully installed on my PC - 13th Feb 2008
> KB936330 (SP1) successfully installed - 18th March 2008 (2nd attempt (1st
> attempt failed))
>
> Windows update states - most recent check for updates - 25/June/2008.
> Updates were installed 26/July/2008 (Failed) KB940157 (windows search 4.0)
>
> By the way - delays in responding are partly due to the time difference. I
> am located in Scotland.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> <blood/stone> And...?
>>
>> Captainswoosh wrote:
>>> SP1 was installed via windows update.

Captainswoosh

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
KB937287 was already installed.
I have downloaded and tried to and run the stand alone
Windows6.0-KB937287-v2-x86.msu package as suggested in KB949358. I get the
following error; The update does not apply to your system.
I cannot try repair method 3. I have 2 hdd set in raid 0.

Also, I do not have the problem of my PC restarting when I try and install
an update.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Reposting again:

> [Your posts appear here in real-time. I don't "live" in this newsgroup
> 24/7.]
>

> Captainswoosh wrote:
> > What is it that I'm not telling you?
> >
> > KB937287 successfully installed on my PC - 13th Feb 2008
> > KB936330 (SP1) successfully installed - 18th March 2008 (2nd attempt (1st
> > attempt failed))
> >
> > Windows update states - most recent check for updates - 25/June/2008.
> > Updates were installed 26/July/2008 (Failed) KB940157 (windows search 4.0)
> >
> > By the way - delays in responding are partly due to the time difference. I
> > am located in Scotland.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> <blood/stone> And...?

Re: Cannot run Windows Update
No point in attempting to install an update that's already been installed
(which is basically what that error was telling you).

At this point, I'd recommend opening a free support incident:

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09

• UK:
• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Let us know how you make out, please. Good luck.