follow on with my earlier post. Since I created ┬┤selfupadate directory┬┤that
has resolve the issue. the other problem with Synchronization has resolved
after I add read permission in root drive where update contents are stored
(in my case) c:\wsus.
Since then it starts downloading the updates from microsoft and taking very
long time. Also I get error message in Event view "The server is failing to
download some updates" and bellow error:
Content file download failed. Reason: The requested URL does not exist on
All clients are only 96-99 % updated and some clients that are recently
added are not installed winxp service pack3. WSUS console shows at downloaded
status as 18,307.56 MB of 30,666.41MB. Taking long time might have been
bandwidth issue. Should I wait until this will fully downloaded so client
will updated accordingly. I had setup for automatic approval too. And how big
the Hard disk require for these update to store? I guess it would delete the
unused, expired etc will cleaned up automatically so 45 GB should be just
fine. Can some one give me some clear picture on this ?
> Hello Robert,
> That did the trick for me. However, one error pops up every now and then in
> event viewer. "The Server Synchronization Web server is not working", what
> service this is refereing to. when this message pops up client are not
> getting updates. Do you have any tips for this ?
> "Lawrence Garvin" wrote:
> > "Robert Aldwinckle" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
> > news:OfTjwVR6IHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > >> I run the wsus client diag tool it pass but it comes with like this :
> > >> WinHttpDownloadFileToMemory(szURLDest, NULL, 0, NULL, NULL, NULL,
> > >> &downloadBuffe
> > >> r) failed with hr=0x80190194
> > > FWIW 0x0194 == 404 so whatever that last thing you did was
> > > it sent an invalid request to a server. Use Fiddler2 to capture more
> > > details
> > > if you can't find any better normal diagnostics.
> > >
> > > BTW since your problems seem to have more to do with WSUS than with WU
> > > I have cross-posted this thread to a more relevant newsgroup.
> > The '404' error when running the Client Diagnostic Tool is the WUA
> > attempting to acquire the CAB file in the ~\selfupdate virtual directory.
> > When this error appears, it's almost always because the ~\selfupdate virtual
> > directory is missing -- typically as a result of applying the Service
> > Pack -- which has an annoying habit of doing this.
> > To repair:
> > 1. Create a virtual directory called 'selfupdate'.
> > 2. Assign it to the pathname C:\Program Files\Update Services\selfupdate
> > 3. Set the access permissions to allow anonymous access.
> > --
> > Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
> > Senior Data Architect, APQC, Houston, Texas
> > Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2008)
> > MS WSUS Website: http://www.microsoft.com/wsus
> > My Websites: http://www.onsitechsolutions.com;
> > http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
> > My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pro...awrence.Garvin