Sp3 blocker - stops access to Windows Update

gowlat

Sp3 blocker - stops access to Windows Update
I downloaded and installed Microsofts patch as I do not want to install this
at least for some time.
It worked okay but I could no longer access Windows Update, only Microsoft
update.
Widnows update simply loads partially and then hangs.
i know this is the cause becasue I then restored back and I could then
access Windows Update again.
Is this correct or have I done something wrong when I ran the patch?
Losing access to Windows Update seems a high price to pay for rejecting this
update.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Sp3 blocker - stops access to Windows Update
gowlat wrote:
> I downloaded and installed Microsofts patch as I do not want to
> install this at least for some time.
> It worked okay but I could no longer access Windows Update, only
> Microsoft update.
> Widnows update simply loads partially and then hangs.
> i know this is the cause becasue I then restored back and I could
> then access Windows Update again.
> Is this correct or have I done something wrong when I ran the patch?
> Losing access to Windows Update seems a high price to pay for
> rejecting this update.

No idea - but it will make an interesting test to partake in.

I don't see how it is such a high price. Can you explain why you think
Microsoft Updates is not as useful to you as Windows Updates?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

gowlat

Re: Sp3 blocker - stops access to Windows Update
Of course it is equally useful as Windows updates as it does seem the same to
me (although i am no expert so i am unaware of the difference)
I am at a loss to understand why the site can no longer be accessed
If someone can confirm this is right and that I have therefore installed the
patch correctly then that is okay.
I always access update through Windows update sp i need to now put a
shortcut for Microsoft update on my desktop and use this instead.
Also am I righ to think the blocker stops working after 30th April 09.
If that is right then from that date will I be able to reaccess Windows
update?

gowlat wrote:
> Of course it is equally useful as Windows updates as it does seem
> the same to me (although i am no expert so i am unaware of the
> difference)
> I am at a loss to understand why the site can no longer be accessed
> If someone can confirm this is right and that I have therefore
> installed the patch correctly then that is okay.
> I always access update through Windows update sp i need to now put a
> shortcut for Microsoft update on my desktop and use this instead.
> Also am I righ to think the blocker stops working after 30th April
> 09.
> If that is right then from that date will I be able to reaccess
> Windows update?

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
Gets you to the updates you need.

Whether you use Microsoft Updates or Windows Updates on your machine.

As for it blocking any access to the updates - as I said - I don't know, but
I plan on testing it on a few VMs.

Professionally and personally I have not had a need to block SP3 - nor have
I had any machines (of the 1000+) I have installed SP3 onto that have had
issues that could not be resolved easily...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Sp3 blocker - stops access to Windows Update
The Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit does NOT cause such problems, it
"simply prevents [a] service pack from being delivered over Windows Update."
(Source:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)

Note, too, that you don't need the Blocker to avoid installing SP3 via
Automatic Updates (AU)! Just configure AU to the Notify Only option and
then decline to download WinXP SP3.

NB: WinXP SP3 cannot be hidden.

While System Restore may have restored Windows Update website to full
functionality, the Blocker did not cause the problem.
===================================
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware