KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file

rjbulling

KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
Has anyone else receive this error when trying to install this update?

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)
Product Version (Previous): 3054
Product Version (Final) :
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_s ql.msp.log
Error Number : 1635
Error Description : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file

Log Details:

Engel

RE: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
Hello rjbulling,

See <http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/11/479928.aspx> for
possible help.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Good luck

-=-

"rjbulling" wrote:

> Has anyone else receive this error when trying to install this update?
>
> Product Installation Status
> Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)
> Product Version (Previous): 3054
> Product Version (Final) :
> Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
> Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_s ql.msp.log
> Error Number : 1635
> Error Description : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
>
> Log Details:

rjbulling

RE: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP fi
Unfortunately I did not find anything about my SQL Server patch issue here.
This is a 2k3 sp2 server with SQL 2005 sp2 installed. Thanks anyway.

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello rjbulling,
>
> See <http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/11/479928.aspx> for
> possible help.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>

> Let us know how it works ºut.
>

> Good luck
>
> -=-
>

> "rjbulling" wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else receive this error when trying to install this update?
> >
> > Product Installation Status
> > Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)
> > Product Version (Previous): 3054
> > Product Version (Final) :
> > Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
> > Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_s ql.msp.log
> > Error Number : 1635
> > Error Description : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
> >
> > Log Details:

klcooley

RE: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP fi
I am seeing the same error.
It shows up in the update GUI as:
Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
Installation Failure
Error Code: 0x663

This is the hex equivilent of Error Number 1635.

This is on XP pro. I have VisualStudio 2005 and SQL Server Express
installed.
I have uninstalled all SQL Server components, and reinstalled it. But I
still see this Windows Update error.
-klc

"rjbulling" wrote:

> Unfortunately I did not find anything about my SQL Server patch issue here.
> This is a 2k3 sp2 server with SQL 2005 sp2 installed. Thanks anyway.
>
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello rjbulling,
> >
> > See <http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/11/479928.aspx> for
> > possible help.
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >

> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> >

> > Good luck
> >
> > -=-
> >

> > "rjbulling" wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone else receive this error when trying to install this update?
> > >
> > > Product Installation Status
> > > Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSQLSERVER)
> > > Product Version (Previous): 3054
> > > Product Version (Final) :
> > > Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
> > > Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_s ql.msp.log
> > > Error Number : 1635
> > > Error Description : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file
> > >
> > > Log Details:

rjbulling

RE: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP fi
We were advised by MS support to contact SQL support due to a corrupt SQL
Server component. Still researching.

"klcooley" wrote:

> I am seeing the same error.
> It shows up in the update GUI as:
> Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
> Installation Failure
> Error Code: 0x663
>
> This is the hex equivilent of Error Number 1635.
>
> This is on XP pro. I have VisualStudio 2005 and SQL Server Express
> installed.
> I have uninstalled all SQL Server components, and reinstalled it. But I
> still see this Windows Update error.
> -klc
>
> "rjbulling" wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately I did not find anything about my SQL Server patch issue here.
> > This is a 2k3 sp2 server with SQL 2005 sp2 installed. Thanks anyway.
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello rjbulling,
> > >
> > > See <http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/10/11/479928.aspx> for
> > > possible help.
> > >
> > > I hope this post is helpful.
> > >

> > > Let us know how it works ºut.
> > >

> > > Good luck
> > >
> > > -=-

klcooley

RE: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP fi
I noticed in the error log in the following update log file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQLTools9_Hotfix_KB948109_sql run_tools.msp.log

.... that the update was trying to access a file in a temp directory on my Y:
drive.
'y:\c106adeef40b90c8033f\HotFixTools\Files\sqlrun_ tools.msp'.

This seemed odd, since there were no system files on my Y: drive. It is a
virtual drive created by dragging a SUBST script for one of my C:
subdirectories into my Startup folder.

I temporarily unmounted the Y: drive, and the next Windows update succeeded!

-klc

"rjbulling" wrote:

> We were advised by MS support to contact SQL support due to a corrupt SQL
> Server component. Still researching.
>
> "klcooley" wrote:
>
> > I am seeing the same error.
> > It shows up in the update GUI as:
> > Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
> > Installation Failure
> > Error Code: 0x663
> >
> > This is the hex equivilent of Error Number 1635.
> >
> > This is on XP pro. I have VisualStudio 2005 and SQL Server Express
> > installed.
> > I have uninstalled all SQL Server components, and reinstalled it. But I
> > still see this Windows Update error.
> > -klc
> >
> > "rjbulling" wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately I did not find anything about my SQL Server patch issue here.
> > > This is a 2k3 sp2 server with SQL 2005 sp2 installed. Thanks anyway.

rjbulling

RE: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP fi
Thanks for the info. I will take a closer look today and give it a try.

"klcooley" wrote:

> I noticed in the error log in the following update log file:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
> Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQLTools9_Hotfix_KB948109_sql run_tools.msp.log
>
> ... that the update was trying to access a file in a temp directory on my Y:
> drive.
> 'y:\c106adeef40b90c8033f\HotFixTools\Files\sqlrun_ tools.msp'.
>
> This seemed odd, since there were no system files on my Y: drive. It is a
> virtual drive created by dragging a SUBST script for one of my C:
> subdirectories into my Startup folder.
>
> I temporarily unmounted the Y: drive, and the next Windows update succeeded!
>
> -klc
>
> "rjbulling" wrote:
>
> > We were advised by MS support to contact SQL support due to a corrupt SQL
> > Server component. Still researching.
> >
> > "klcooley" wrote:
> >
> > > I am seeing the same error.
> > > It shows up in the update GUI as:
> > > Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
> > > Installation Failure
> > > Error Code: 0x663
> > >
> > > This is the hex equivilent of Error Number 1635.
> > >
> > > This is on XP pro. I have VisualStudio 2005 and SQL Server Express
> > > installed.
> > > I have uninstalled all SQL Server components, and reinstalled it. But I
> > > still see this Windows Update error.
> > > -klc

rhab

Re: KB948109 Error 1635 Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file

Hi i got this solution on microsoft support and it works on me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918357

Method 1: Grant the Full Control permission on the Data folder and on
all the files in the Data folder
To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open the following folder:
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.X\MSSQL
2. Right-click the Data folder, and then click Sharing and
Security.
3. In the Properties dialog box, click the Security tab.
4. Under Group or user names, click Administrators.
5. Under Permissions for Administrators, click to select the Allow
check box for the Full Control permission.
6. Click OK.
7. Open the Data folder.
8. On the Edit menu, click Select All.
9. On the File menu, click Properties.
10. In the Properties dialog box, click the Security tab.
11. Repeat steps 4 through 6.
12. Reinstall SQL Server 2005 SP1.

Back to the top
Method 2: Install the correct version of the SQL Server Setup Support
files
To do this, follow these steps:

1. Export the MSIRefCount\Uninstall registry entry. To do this,
follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit, and then click OK to
open Registry Editor.
2. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\90\Bootstrap\MSIRefCount
3. In the right panel, click the Uninstall registry entry.
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. Specify a location and a file name, and then click Save.
Notice that the value of the MSIRefCount\Uninstall registry entry
contains references to all the components that are dependant on the SQL
Server Setup Support files.
2. Uninstall the existing SQL Server Setup Support files by using
Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Note When you try to uninstall the SQL Server Setup Support
files, you receive a warning message that resembles the following:
Warning 26002. The following products(s) is dependent on
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English). If you uninstall
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English), they will be broken.
Please uninstall those product(s) first. Do you want to go ahead to
uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English) anyway?
When you receive this warning message, click Yes.
3. Reinstall the 9.00.1399.06 version of the SQL Server Setup
Support files. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Open the Servers\Setup folder from the SQL Server 2005
installation media.

Note If you use the SQL Server 2005 installation CDs, not
the DVD, to install SQL Server 2005, the Setup folder that you must
access is on the Servers CD.
2. Double-click the SqlSupport.msi file to install the
9.00.1399.06 version of the SQL Server Setup Support files.
3. Follow the installation wizard through the rest of the
installation processes.
4. Import the registry setting through the registry file that you
saved in step 1.
5. Reinstall SQL Server 2005 SP1.

--
rhab