Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)

mchua

Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
I was trying to install this update to no avail. Error code returned is
2B08. I had try to search for KB on this error code but return no results.
Now I cannot RAS in to my corpnet because of security violation for not
installing this update. I am stuck. Any assistance you can offer is much
appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
Tip from a pro:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...-standard.aspx

Or you could...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number(s).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

mchua wrote:
> I was trying to install this update to no avail. Error code returned is
> 2B08. I had try to search for KB on this error code but return no
> results.
> Now I cannot RAS in to my corpnet because of security violation for not
> installing this update. I am stuck. Any assistance you can offer is
> much
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you!

kavi_nash

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
Found possible solutions at last!!!

When you face this problem, the first thing you have to do is to go
through the latest log file Summary.txt under the directory C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\ and search
for any failures (Status : Failure). We can solve the issue directly
from this log file.

Here is what I have observed in the log file in different machines and
the possible solutions :

• Case 1:
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005
(SQLEXPRESS)
Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_s ql.msp.log
SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 1646
Error
Description : Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
following changes. In the registry editor, go through the following
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\7DDFFFA258DE09A4C825D59ABECDB9F8
and search for Uninstallable key. Change the value to 1 if it is 0.
Reinstall the patch and it should be successful now.

• Case 2:
Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005
(MSSQLSERVER)
Product Version (Previous): 3054
Product Version (Final) :
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_s ql.msp.log
Error Number : 29506
Error Description : MSP Error: 29506 SQL Server Setup failed
to modify security permissions on file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\ for user Administrator. To proceed, verify
that the account and domain running SQL Server Setup exist, that the
account running SQL Server Setup has administrator privileges, and
that exists on the destination drive.

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
following changes. Login to management studio for the default
instance(MSSQLSERVER) and have a look at what all database we are
having. We should not have any other file other than database,
certificates under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL
\Data\. Try moving all the files under this directory to a temp
folder. Leave the files which are in use. It moved around 10 files
which are not in use in my case. Also assign Full permission to the
logged in user to this folder. Start the installation and choose the
default instance. It should be successful.

• Case 3:
Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005
(MSSQLSERVER)
Product Version (Previous): 3054
Product Version (Final) :
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB948109_sqlrun_s ql.msp.log
Error Number : 29538
Error Description : MSP Error: 29538 SQL Server Setup did not
have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: C:
\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\distmdl1.ldf.
To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant
administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or
log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.

Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
following changes. Verify that distmdl.ldf and distmdl.mdf files are
present under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
\ and grant administrator permissions for these files to the logged in
account.

Please feel free to contact me if you face similar kind of issues.

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
Thanks for sharing this information with the Community here.

kavi_nash wrote:
> [...]
> Error Number : 29538
> Error Description : MSP Error: 29538 SQL Server Setup did not
> have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: C:
> \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\distmdl1.ldf.
> To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant
> administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or
> log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.
>
> Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
> following changes. Verify that distmdl.ldf and distmdl.mdf files are
> present under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
> \ and grant administrator permissions for these files to the logged in
> account.
>
> Please feel free to contact me if you face similar kind of issues.

Chris-77

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
Hallo!!

I have been facing the same problem the last 5-10 days and as I only know
very few things about computers, I can't solve it.

I actually found out that I have 34 log files Summary.txt, Summary_1.txt,...
etc.

You have mentioned 'In the registry editor, go through the following
> key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.....'. Where is that registry editor? :-(

Can you please help me?
Thx

"kavi_nash" wrote:

> [...]
> Error Number : 29538
> Error Description : MSP Error: 29538 SQL Server Setup did not
> have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: C:
> \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\distmdl1.ldf.
> To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant
> administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or
> log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.
>
> Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
> following changes. Verify that distmdl.ldf and distmdl.mdf files are
> present under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
> \ and grant administrator permissions for these files to the logged in
> account.
>
> Please feel free to contact me if you face similar kind of issues.

chri_dro1@yahoo.gr

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
Good evening!

I am from Greece and 10 days ago i tried to update Windows but an
error occured with the code 2B08.

I found the file 'Summary.txt' under the directory C:\Program Files
\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix, which includes
the following:

************************************************** ********************************
Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005
(VAIO_VEDB)
Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File :
SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 11016
Error Description : SQL Server not responsive prior to running
Repl post script procedure

Can you please please help me solve this problem??

Thank you,
Maria
kavi_nash

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
On Jul 25, 6:32*pm, Chris-77 <Chris...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]

> > Error Description * * * * : MSP Error: 29538 *SQL Server Setup did not
> > have the administrator permissions required to rename a file: C:
> > \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\distmdl1.ldf.
> > To continue, verify that the file exists, and either grant
> > administrator permissions to the account currently running Setup or
> > log in with an administrator account. Then run SQL Server Setup again.
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> > Possible Solution: Reboot your machine before doing any of the
> > following changes. Verify that distmdl.ldf and distmdl.mdf files are
> > present under C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data
> > \ and grant administrator permissions for these files to the logged in
> > account.

> > Please feel free to contact me if you face similar kind of issues.

Hey Chris:

no problem...I can help you...
access the registry editor by typing 'regedit' in RUN (w/o quotes).
And regarding the log file, you have to look into the latest
summary.txt file (sort by date modified)
Revert back if you still face issues
chri_dro1@yahoo.gr

Re: Security Update for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (KB948109)
Hallo again!!

Thank you very much for your reply!

I reached the log file Summary.txt under the directory C:\Program Files
\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\ and observed the
following:

Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005
(VAIO_VEDB)
Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File :
SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 11016
Error Description : SQL Server not responsive prior to running
Repl post script procedure

Do you think this problem is similar to your CASE 1?

After your help I did manage to access the registry editor and typed
'regedit' in RUN.
However I can’t find anything called ‘Uninstallable key’ under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Installer
\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\7DDFFFA258DE09A4C825D59ABECDB9F8.

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you!
Maria
david wicker

same error
I've got the same problem, my summary.txt reads

Time: 07/30/2008 11:25:01.879
KB Number: KB948109
Machine: DAVIDW-HP
OS Version: Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
Package Platform: x86
Package SP Level: 2
Package Version: 3068
Command-line parameters specified:
/quiet
/allinstances
Cluster Installation: No

************************************************** ********************************
Prerequisites Check & Status
SQLSupport: Passed

************************************************** ********************************
Products Detected Language Level Patch Level Platform Edition
SQL Server Database Services 2005 (ACT7) ENU SP2 2005.090.3042.00 x86 EXPRESS
SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ) ENU SP2 2005.090.3068.00 x86 EXPRESS

************************************************** ********************************
Products Disqualified & Reason
Product Reason

************************************************** ********************************
Processes Locking Files
Process Name Feature Type User Name PID
MSSQL$ACT7 SQL Server Database Services Service 2588

************************************************** ********************************
Product Installation Status
Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (ACT7)
Product Version (Previous): 3042
Product Version (Final) :
Log File :
SQL Express Features :
Error Number : 0
Error Description :

************************************************** ********************************
Summary
SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl post script procedure
Exit Code Returned: 11016

Please advise what I should do
chri_dro1@yahoo.gr

Re: same error
On 30 Éïýë, 14:10, david wicker wrote:
> I've got the same problem, my summary.txt reads
>
> Time: 07/30/2008 11:25:01.879
> KB Number: KB948109
> Machine: DAVIDW-HP
> OS Version: Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)
> Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
> Package Platform: x86
> Package SP Level: 2
> Package Version: 3068
> Command-line parameters specified:
> * * */quiet
> * * */allinstances
> Cluster Installation: No
>
> ************************************************** *********************************
> Prerequisites Check & Status
> SQLSupport: Passed
>
> ************************************************** *********************************
> Products Detected * * * * * * * * * * * * Language *Level *Patch Level * * * Platform *Edition
> SQL Server Database Services 2005 (ACT7) *ENU * * * SP2 * *2005.090.3042.00 *x86 * * * EXPRESS
> SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ) *ENU * * * SP2 * *2005.090.3068.00 *x86 * * * EXPRESS
>
> ************************************************** *********************************
> Products Disqualified & Reason
> Product * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Reason
>
> ************************************************** *********************************
> Processes Locking Files
> Process Name * * * * *Feature * * * * * * * Type * * * * *User Name * * * * * * * * *PID
> MSSQL$ACT7 * * * * * *SQL Server Database Services *Service* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *2588
>
> ************************************************** *********************************
> Product Installation Status
> Product * * * * * * * * * : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (ACT7)
> Product Version (Previous): 3042
> Product Version (Final) * :
> Status * * * * * * * * * *: Failure
> Log File * * * * * * * * *:
> SQL Express Features * * *:
> Error Number * * * * * * *: 11016
> Error Description * * * * : SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl post script procedure
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-------
> Product * * * * * * * * * : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ)
> Product Version (Previous): 3068
> Product Version (Final) * :
> Status * * * * * * * * * *: Not Selected
> Log File * * * * * * * * *:
> SQL Express Features * * *:
> Error Number * * * * * * *: 0
> Error Description * * * * :

> Summary
> * * *SQL Server not responsive prior to running Repl post script procedure
> * * *Exit Code Returned: 11016
>
> Please advise what I should do

Hallo!!

If you find a solution to this problem will you please let me know??

Thank you!
Maria (Greece)