error code: 0x80070551

SammieMarcos

error code: 0x80070551
Last summer I got a nasty virus on this laptop.
Worked with a technician to get it cleaned up.
Since then, Auto Updates have not been working.
Today, I am attempting to run Windows Update. It is stopping at "checking
for the latest updates"
I read about BITS needing to run. When I try to start BITS, I get error
code: 0x80070551
Is there any hope to get Windows Update running?
Hope so, I would like to get the Windows HotFix that will allow me to use an
SDHC card and SanDisk MicroMate.
Thanks
Shenan Stanley

Re: error code: 0x80070551
SammieMarcos wrote:
> Last summer I got a nasty virus on this laptop.
> Worked with a technician to get it cleaned up.
> Since then, Auto Updates have not been working.
> Today, I am attempting to run Windows Update. It is stopping at
> "checking for the latest updates"
> I read about BITS needing to run. When I try to start BITS, I get
> error code: 0x80070551
> Is there any hope to get Windows Update running?
> Hope so, I would like to get the Windows HotFix that will allow me
> to use an SDHC card and SanDisk MicroMate.

*Assuming* you have Windows XP (Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet PC
or x64?) with Service Pack (2 or 3?)...

As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

SammieMarcos

Re: error code: 0x80070551

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> SammieMarcos wrote:
> > Last summer I got a nasty virus on this laptop.
> > Worked with a technician to get it cleaned up.
> > Since then, Auto Updates have not been working.
> > Today, I am attempting to run Windows Update. It is stopping at
> > "checking for the latest updates"
> > I read about BITS needing to run. When I try to start BITS, I get
> > error code: 0x80070551
> > Is there any hope to get Windows Update running?
> > Hope so, I would like to get the Windows HotFix that will allow me
> > to use an SDHC card and SanDisk MicroMate.

> *Assuming* you have Windows XP (Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet PC
> or x64?) with Service Pack (2 or 3?)...
>
> As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
> referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
> not you repaired anything.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> Try method 1 and try to update*.
> If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.
>
> *try to update:
> - Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
> - If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
> or "Express" - do so.
> - Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
> - Scan for updates.
> - When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
> - You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
> avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Hi Shenan,
Yes, I have XP Home, SP2.
I completed both method 1 and 2, seemingly both were successful.
Then went to windowsupdate.microsoft.com
but, it still hung up on "checking for the latest updates"
Thank you for any additional ideas you can provide me.
-Sammie.
SammieMarcos

Re: error code: 0x80070551

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> SammieMarcos wrote:
> > Last summer I got a nasty virus on this laptop.
> > Worked with a technician to get it cleaned up.
> > Since then, Auto Updates have not been working.
> > Today, I am attempting to run Windows Update. It is stopping at
> > "checking for the latest updates"
> > I read about BITS needing to run. When I try to start BITS, I get
> > error code: 0x80070551
> > Is there any hope to get Windows Update running?
> > Hope so, I would like to get the Windows HotFix that will allow me
> > to use an SDHC card and SanDisk MicroMate.

> *Assuming* you have Windows XP (Home, Professional, Media Center, Tablet PC
> or x64?) with Service Pack (2 or 3?)...
>
> As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
> referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
> not you repaired anything.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> Try method 1 and try to update*.
> If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.
>
> *try to update:
> - Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
> - If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
> or "Express" - do so.
> - Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
> - Scan for updates.
> - When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
> - You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
> avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

After several hours, Auto Updates asked to load some software, but that load
failed. Here is the error message:
Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each
problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You
will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be
installed.

Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or
uninstall any programs that you don’t use. For directions, see Help and
Support on your computer.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check
your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you
can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your
System Tray.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

Shenan Stanley

Re: error code: 0x80070551
<snipped>

SammieMarcos wrote:
> After several hours, Auto Updates asked to load some software, but
> that load failed. Here is the error message:
> Failed Updates
> For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under
> each problem description.
>

> Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
> Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install
> updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates
> with a EULA can be installed.
>
> Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
> Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or
> uninstall any programs that you don't use. For directions, see Help
> and Support on your computer.
>
> Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
> Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then
> check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed
> to install, you can try installing it from the website.
> Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon
> in your System Tray.
>
> Problem: Please check your update history for a description.
>
> Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)

When you are attempting to get updates - is your Pop-Up blocker (if third
party) and AV software disabled?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP