Windows Vista and Error 80072efd

WER4GZS

Windows Vista and Error 80072efd
I have read the help for this error; however, the instructions are for
Windows XP or previous versions. What I did understand from that help did
not fix my problem. I have had no problems with Windows Update until 3 days
ago so it was not my Trend firewall unless an update to Trend somehow messed
up my Windows Update. This happened while trying to install Cumulative
Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB950126) and I received the
failed install with error 80240016 - Windows Update is currently installing
other updates. Windows Update is not installing anything on my computer. So
when I go to check for updates it returns the error 80072efd. Im confused
and need help getting this resolved. Please, anyone??

Re: Windows Vista and Error 80072efd
You may receive an..."Error 0x80072EFD"...error message when you try to use
the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

=======================
Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
=======================

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number.

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

WER4GZS wrote:
> I have read the help for this error; however, the instructions are for
> Windows XP or previous versions. What I did understand from that help did
> not fix my problem. I have had no problems with Windows Update until 3
> days
> ago so it was not my Trend firewall unless an update to Trend somehow
> messed
> up my Windows Update. This happened while trying to install Cumulative
> Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB950126) and I received the
> failed install with error 80240016 - Windows Update is currently
> installing
> other updates. Windows Update is not installing anything on my computer.
> So when I go to check for updates it returns the error 80072efd. Im
> confused and need help getting this resolved. Please, anyone??

WER4GZS

Re: Windows Vista and Error 80072efd
I did disable my firewall, however, it still did not correct the problem.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You may receive an..."Error 0x80072EFD"...error message when you try to use
> the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
>
> =======================
> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
> to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
> connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
> =======================

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number.

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> WER4GZS wrote:
> > I have read the help for this error; however, the instructions are for
> > Windows XP or previous versions. What I did understand from that help did
> > not fix my problem. I have had no problems with Windows Update until 3
> > days
> > ago so it was not my Trend firewall unless an update to Trend somehow
> > messed
> > up my Windows Update. This happened while trying to install Cumulative
> > Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB950126) and I received the
> > failed install with error 80240016 - Windows Update is currently
> > installing
> > other updates. Windows Update is not installing anything on my computer.
> > So when I go to check for updates it returns the error 80072efd. Im
> > confused and need help getting this resolved. Please, anyone??

Re: Windows Vista and Error 80072efd
And did you open a free Support Incident or didn't you bother to read that
far?

WER4GZS wrote:
> I did disable my firewall, however, it still did not correct the problem.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You may receive an..."Error 0x80072EFD"...error message when you try to
>> use
>> the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
>>
>> =======================
>> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
>> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
>> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
>> attempting
>> to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
>> connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
>> =======================

>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
>> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number.
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through
>> your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>

>> WER4GZS wrote:
>>> I have read the help for this error; however, the instructions are for
>>> Windows XP or previous versions. What I did understand from that help
>>> did
>>> not fix my problem. I have had no problems with Windows Update until 3
>>> days
>>> ago so it was not my Trend firewall unless an update to Trend somehow
>>> messed
>>> up my Windows Update. This happened while trying to install Cumulative
>>> Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB950126) and I received the
>>> failed install with error 80240016 - Windows Update is currently
>>> installing
>>> other updates. Windows Update is not installing anything on my
>>> computer.
>>> So when I go to check for updates it returns the error 80072efd. Im
>>> confused and need help getting this resolved. Please, anyone??

WER4GZS

Re: Windows Vista and Error 80072efd
Yes, I did bother to read that far and yes, I did open one...thank you for
your time.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And did you open a free Support Incident or didn't you bother to read that
> far?
>
> WER4GZS wrote:
> > I did disable my firewall, however, it still did not correct the problem.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You may receive an..."Error 0x80072EFD"...error message when you try to
> >> use
> >> the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941
> >>
> >> =======================
> >> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
> >> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
> >> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before
> >> attempting
> >> to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
> >> connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
> >> =======================
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >>
> >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> >> in
> >> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> >> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
> >> with
> >> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> >> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number.
> >>
> >> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> >> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> >> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >>
> >> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> >> through
> >> your usual support contacts.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Re: Windows Vista and Error 80072efd
YW. Keep us posted, please.