W2K SP4, IE 6 SP1 Setup Fails

ngkh5

W2K SP4, IE 6 SP1 Setup Fails
Using a HP Omnibook 900 with W2K SP2 and downloading W2KSP4 from Windows
Update site fails with error dialog box: "Service Pack 4 determined that the
following Service Pack 4 files are corrupt:" A list of the corrupt files is
shown followed by: If this error persists after you have clicked Retry
several times, go to the Windows 2000 Service Pack Web site and select
"Problems downloading the Service Pack" This will give you instructions on
how to download a version of the Service Pack that does not require a Web
connection during installation.

Following this instruction and after downloading "Windows 2000 Service Pack
4 Network Install for IT ProfessionalsSP4" from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/d...displaylang=en
and executing it, following error dialog appears: "The Microsoft digital
signature affirms that the software gas been tested with Windows and that the
software has not bee altered since it was tested. The software you are about
to install does not contain a Microsoft digital signature. Therefore there is
no guarantee that this software works correctly with Windows. Microsoft
Windows Installer...."

Clicking the "OK" button another error dialog appears:
"The following file in the software package you want to install is not
signed C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\msiex ec.exe"
Clicking the "OK" button shows another error dialog box: "An unexpected
error occurred" and the whole setup process terminates. Similarly happens
when trying to update to Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from my existing IE 5.00.

As an aside, sometimes a Dr. Watson for Windows 2000 error box appears with
the following application Errors:
c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}

How to get SP4 and other updates installed ? Please advise, thanks.

Re: W2K SP4, IE 6 SP1 Setup Fails
Forwarded to Win2K General via crosspost.
--
~PA Bear

ngkh5 wrote:
> Using a HP Omnibook 900 with W2K SP2 and downloading W2KSP4 from Windows
> Update site fails with error dialog box: "Service Pack 4 determined that
> the
> following Service Pack 4 files are corrupt:" A list of the corrupt files
> is
> shown followed by: If this error persists after you have clicked Retry
> several times, go to the Windows 2000 Service Pack Web site and select
> "Problems downloading the Service Pack" This will give you instructions on
> how to download a version of the Service Pack that does not require a Web
> connection during installation.
>
> Following this instruction and after downloading "Windows 2000 Service
> Pack
> 4 Network Install for IT ProfessionalsSP4" from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/d...displaylang=en
> and executing it, following error dialog appears: "The Microsoft digital
> signature affirms that the software gas been tested with Windows and that
> the software has not bee altered since it was tested. The software you are
> about to install does not contain a Microsoft digital signature. Therefore
> there is no guarantee that this software works correctly with Windows.
> Microsoft Windows Installer...."
>
> Clicking the "OK" button another error dialog appears:
> "The following file in the software package you want to install is not
> signed C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\msiex ec.exe"
> Clicking the "OK" button shows another error dialog box: "An unexpected
> error occurred" and the whole setup process terminates. Similarly happens
> when trying to update to Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from my existing IE 5.00.
>
> As an aside, sometimes a Dr. Watson for Windows 2000 error box appears
> with
> the following application Errors:
> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
>
> How to get SP4 and other updates installed ? Please advise, thanks.

Dave Patrick

Re: W2K SP4, IE 6 SP1 Setup Fails
One of these may help you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275869
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> Forwarded to Win2K General via crosspost.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> ngkh5 wrote:
>> Using a HP Omnibook 900 with W2K SP2 and downloading W2KSP4 from Windows
>> Update site fails with error dialog box: "Service Pack 4 determined that
>> the
>> following Service Pack 4 files are corrupt:" A list of the corrupt files
>> is
>> shown followed by: If this error persists after you have clicked Retry
>> several times, go to the Windows 2000 Service Pack Web site and select
>> "Problems downloading the Service Pack" This will give you instructions
>> on
>> how to download a version of the Service Pack that does not require a Web
>> connection during installation.
>>
>> Following this instruction and after downloading "Windows 2000 Service
>> Pack
>> 4 Network Install for IT ProfessionalsSP4" from here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/d...displaylang=en
>> and executing it, following error dialog appears: "The Microsoft digital
>> signature affirms that the software gas been tested with Windows and that
>> the software has not bee altered since it was tested. The software you
>> are
>> about to install does not contain a Microsoft digital signature.
>> Therefore
>> there is no guarantee that this software works correctly with Windows.
>> Microsoft Windows Installer...."
>>
>> Clicking the "OK" button another error dialog appears:
>> "The following file in the software package you want to install is not
>> signed C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\msiex ec.exe"
>> Clicking the "OK" button shows another error dialog box: "An unexpected
>> error occurred" and the whole setup process terminates. Similarly happens
>> when trying to update to Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from my existing IE
>> 5.00.
>>
>> As an aside, sometimes a Dr. Watson for Windows 2000 error box appears
>> with
>> the following application Errors:
>> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
>> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
>> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
>> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
>>
>> How to get SP4 and other updates installed ? Please advise, thanks.

ngkh5

Re: W2K SP4, IE 6 SP1 Setup Fails
This is the svcpack.log from installing the service pack 4, hopefully it'll
shed some light to assist me further:
Service Pack started with following command line:
***

DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2
***

IncludeDirectoryIdFromInfSection: No DirId found for: DontRemoveOnUninst.DirId
***

FetchSourceURL: SetupOpenInfFile Failed to open file:
c:\8ae0d\i386\update\update.url
***

DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for c:\8ae0d\i386\update\update.inf Failed
***

BuildCabinetManifest:SetupOpenInfFile failed with error INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE
***

AnalyzePhaseZero used 10 ticks

***

DoInstallation:SetupOpenInfFile for OldUninstallInf file
C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spunins t.inf not found: 0x3
***

CreateUninstall = 1,Directory = C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$
***

AnalyzePhaseOne: used 154613 ticks

***

AnalyzePhaseTwo used 2954 ticks

***

AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks

***

AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks

***

AnalyzePhaseSix used 821 ticks

***

AnalyzeComponents used 158418 ticks

***

Downloading 0 files

***

bPatchMode = FALSE

***

Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 165758 ticks

***

Num Ticks for invent : 165768

***

Condtional Load of section AutoUpdate.Reg.Install.Condition suceeded

***

Allocation size of drive C: is 4096 bytes, free space = 4104257536 bytes

***

Drive C: free 3914MB req: 5MB w/uninstall 278MB

***

Num Ticks for download : 60828

***

CabinetBuild complete

***

Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 0

***

Starting process: msiinst.exe /delayrebootq
***

Working directory: C:\WINNT\System32\msiinst.tmp
***

Return Code = 2148204800
***

DoInstallation:RunInfProcesses Failed
***

Service Pack 4 Setup encountered an error: An error in updating your system
has occurred.
***

VerifySize: Unable to verify size: Source = NULL: c:\winnt\oem6.cat

***

An error in updating your system has occurred.
***

Message displayed to the user: An error in updating your system has occurred.
***

User Input: OK
***

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> One of these may help you.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275869
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...35(VS.85).aspx
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372023.aspx
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516
>

> --
>
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> > Forwarded to Win2K General via crosspost.
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >
> > ngkh5 wrote:
> >> Using a HP Omnibook 900 with W2K SP2 and downloading W2KSP4 from Windows
> >> Update site fails with error dialog box: "Service Pack 4 determined that
> >> the
> >> following Service Pack 4 files are corrupt:" A list of the corrupt files
> >> is
> >> shown followed by: If this error persists after you have clicked Retry
> >> several times, go to the Windows 2000 Service Pack Web site and select
> >> "Problems downloading the Service Pack" This will give you instructions
> >> on
> >> how to download a version of the Service Pack that does not require a Web
> >> connection during installation.
> >>
> >> Following this instruction and after downloading "Windows 2000 Service
> >> Pack
> >> 4 Network Install for IT ProfessionalsSP4" from here:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/d...displaylang=en
> >> and executing it, following error dialog appears: "The Microsoft digital
> >> signature affirms that the software gas been tested with Windows and that
> >> the software has not bee altered since it was tested. The software you
> >> are
> >> about to install does not contain a Microsoft digital signature.
> >> Therefore
> >> there is no guarantee that this software works correctly with Windows.
> >> Microsoft Windows Installer...."
> >>
> >> Clicking the "OK" button another error dialog appears:
> >> "The following file in the software package you want to install is not
> >> signed C:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP001.TMP\msiex ec.exe"
> >> Clicking the "OK" button shows another error dialog box: "An unexpected
> >> error occurred" and the whole setup process terminates. Similarly happens
> >> when trying to update to Internet Explorer 6 SP1 from my existing IE
> >> 5.00.
> >>
> >> As an aside, sometimes a Dr. Watson for Windows 2000 error box appears
> >> with
> >> the following application Errors:
> >> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
> >> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
> >> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
> >> c0000005<nosymbols>{00415743}
> >>
> >> How to get SP4 and other updates installed ? Please advise, thanks.

Dave Patrick

Re: W2K SP4, IE 6 SP1 Setup Fails
You'll need to get past the windows installer problem first. You might also
try a safe mode boot.