WIndows update error for KB948110

renfri

WIndows update error for KB948110
Every night since last Friday I get an error code of 0x80070643 when the
server tries to run this update. IT is a Security Update for Windows Server
2003. Does anybody have any ideas? I can't find any help. I went the the
chat support & they said I had to call a phone #. I thought I would try this
first! THX

Re: WIndows update error for KB948110
Call the phone number.

Related threads in this newsgroup:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...=0&scor ing=d

Also see
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...l-patches.aspx

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

renfri wrote:
> Every night since last Friday I get an error code of 0x80070643 when the
> server tries to run this update. IT is a Security Update for Windows
> Server
> 2003. Does anybody have any ideas? I can't find any help. I went the
> the
> chat support & they said I had to call a phone #. I thought I would try
> this first! THX

Granville30

RE: WIndows update error for KB948110
What phone number did they give you as I have this same issue?
THX

"renfri" wrote:

> Every night since last Friday I get an error code of 0x80070643 when the
> server tries to run this update. IT is a Security Update for Windows Server
> 2003. Does anybody have any ideas? I can't find any help. I went the the
> chat support & they said I had to call a phone #. I thought I would try this
> first! THX

renfri

RE: WIndows update error for KB948110
The # they gave me was 800-936-5700

"Granville30" wrote:

> What phone number did they give you as I have this same issue?
> THX
>

> "renfri" wrote:
>
> > Every night since last Friday I get an error code of 0x80070643 when the
> > server tries to run this update. IT is a Security Update for Windows Server
> > 2003. Does anybody have any ideas? I can't find any help. I went the the
> > chat support & they said I had to call a phone #. I thought I would try this
> > first! THX

thejamie

Re: WIndows update error for KB948110
I see this answer out here over and over. Believe it when I say we ask the
question and are knowledgeable enough to handle a real answer and that a
phone number is useless. I don't believe that the answer should be a
secret. Why not just put the reason out here?
--
Regards,
Jamie

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Call the phone number.
>
> Related threads in this newsgroup:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...=0&scor ing=d
>
> Also see
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...l-patches.aspx
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> renfri wrote:
> > Every night since last Friday I get an error code of 0x80070643 when the
> > server tries to run this update. IT is a Security Update for Windows
> > Server
> > 2003. Does anybody have any ideas? I can't find any help. I went the
> > the
> > chat support & they said I had to call a phone #. I thought I would try
> > this first! THX

thejamie

Re: WIndows update error for KB948110
To be sure, I think the issue is one of permissions. There is a DDL error
(listed below) that occurs if the update (sp4_serv_uni.sql) runs at the
server level which is why I suspect you are required to run the update at the
command level.

http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...ng-948110.aspx (see text below also)

I also suspect that part of the reason this update does not work is that
there are read only file groups that need to be altered to be read write and
then back to reaad (permissions). There is a detailed explanation of the
states that require changing in the SP4 update white papers.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...Sql2k32sp4.htm

To date, I have attempted a lot of different approaches. Initially I found
it was an SBS thing (figured out when I see that the update is applied to
either WMSDE or to Server 2003 - which on SBS, both are viable options. I
had to fix Sharepoint after the initial install and I am patiently waiting to
see what the fix is that will undo the damage done by the WU of the wrong
package first (whatever that is).

There is evidence (to me) that I sucessfully installed SP4 from an osql
command line (it went through the installation on screen and the version is
2039). Thus, I suspect again(permissions) that there is something that needs
to be turned on and then off or vice versa, so the update can successfully
apply the DDL fix from the sq4_serv_uni.sql.

I have not mentioned that SQL Server 2005 IS INSTALLED on this machine. I
moved the actual default instance of SQL away from the Enterprise SBS as it
was bogging down the server and I have a dedicated version of 2005 running on
the network. I installed the tools from 2005 on SBS and not point to a
default instance on another server.

This should not; however; effect the MSDE instances of Sharepoint, UDDI,
SBSMonitoring, MSFW, and #SSEE that run on the local SBS machine. As all of
these packages succesfully updated to SP4 - is there a different SP4 for SBS
and one that is non-SBS that needs to be applied? The documentation is
fuzzy at best. It seems no one wants to come out and say exactly why the DDL
updates fail on the sp4_serv_uni.sql.

The fix seems like it could be as simple as running the console copy of SQL
2000 enterprise manager from whatever service account runs the MSDE packages.
At that point, start and restart services in their required configuration
for the script to run and then set them back. It sounds like something that
could be put together with a hotfix.

Maybe I am oversimplifying this?

Regards,
Jamie
--------------------------
Microsoft link to use osql to fix WMSDE to run the sp4_serv_uni.sql (which
does not work)
If this is your case, then you must properly update the instance back to SQL
2000 standard to regain functionality:

Perform the upgrade again to SQL Server 2000.
Note You must use the same media that was previously used to perform the
upgrade to SQL Server 2000.
Please refer to the Premium Installation Step that shipped with your version
of SBS 2003. This can be found in the root of the Premium Technologies CD.
Restart the server instance. The server instance should start as the
upgraded version.
Apply SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4.
Note Make sure that you apply the SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 and not the
MSDE SP4 or WMSDE SP4 updates.
For more information about how to obtain SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4,
visit the following Microsoft Web page:
Manually apply sp4_serv_uni.sql from the Install folder. To do this, type
the following command at a command prompt:

osql -n -b -d master -Slpc:%computername%\SHAREPOINT -i
"%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT\Install\sp4_serv_uni.sql" -o
"%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT\Install\sp4_serv_uni.out" -E

Note These steps assume that the WMSDE installation folder is in the default
location. If you are using a custom installation, you must adjust the path
accordingly in the command. Also note that this is a single command that has
been wrapped for readability.
Errors generated by running the sp4_serv_uni.sql directly from the
Sharepoint instance:

Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 1 to 1. Run the
RECONFIGURE statement to install.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your
system administrator.

<snip> bunch of rows apply updates successfully

Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 10
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_msupg_dosystabcatalogupgrades,
Line 233
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 3
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_msupg_recreatecatalogfaketables,
Line 60
DDL statement is not allowed.

(0 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_monitor, Line 168
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_addlogin'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_addlogin, Line 136
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_change_users_login'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_change_users_login, Line 214
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 3
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_addalias'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_addalias, Line 121
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_dropalias'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_dropalias, Line 67
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_configure'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_configure, Line 289
DDL statement is not allowed.

(1 row(s) affected)

(1 row(s) affected)

(36 row(s) affected)
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 11
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_databases'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_databases, Line 32
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_tables_ex'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_tables_ex, Line 65535
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_catalogs_rowset'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_catalogs_rowset, Line 8
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_catalogs_rowset, Line 7
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_catalogs_rowset, Line 8
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_primary_keys_rowset'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_primary_keys_rowset, Line 9
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_primary_keys_rowset, Line 7
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_primary_keys_rowset, Line 65535
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_primary_keys_rowset, Line 10
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Line 4
DDL statement is not allowed.
Creating 'sp_linkedservers_rowset'.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_linkedservers_rowset, Line 9
DDL statement is not allowed.
Msg 2782, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_linkedservers_rowset, Line 4
DDL statement is not allowed.
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your
system administrator.
Configuration option 'allow updates' changed from 1 to 0. Run the

"thejamie" wrote:

> I see this answer out here over and over. Believe it when I say we ask the
> question and are knowledgeable enough to handle a real answer and that a
> phone number is useless. I don't believe that the answer should be a
> secret. Why not just put the reason out here?
> --
> Regards,
> Jamie
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Call the phone number.
> >
> > Related threads in this newsgroup:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...=0&scor ing=d
> >
> > Also see
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...l-patches.aspx
> >
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >

> > renfri wrote:
> > > Every night since last Friday I get an error code of 0x80070643 when the
> > > server tries to run this update. IT is a Security Update for Windows
> > > Server
> > > 2003. Does anybody have any ideas? I can't find any help. I went the
> > > the
> > > chat support & they said I had to call a phone #. I thought I would try
> > > this first! THX

Harry Johnston [MVP]

thejamie wrote:

> I see this answer out here over and over. Believe it when I say we ask the
> question and are knowledgeable enough to handle a real answer and that a
> phone number is useless. I don't believe that the answer should be a
> secret. Why not just put the reason out here?

Typically, because we don't know what it is. MS support do sometimes have
information that we don't, and are perhaps better trained for complicated
support issues.

There are also cases where the number of questions that would need to be asked
and answered to figure out exactly what the problem is would make newsgroups too
slow and unwieldy. The advantage of telephone support is that it is in real-time.

Harry.

--
Boycott Beijing 2008 http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=174
thejamie

Re: WIndows update error for KB948110
It is a bit more clear now than when I looked at this before. Given the
assumption that all the instances on SBS are upgraded to sp4 (2039), there
are two that, by default are installed with no sa password and apparently no
builtin\administrator default account. (msfw and sbsmonitoring). The
solution appears to be either adding an sa password after switching to Sql
Authentication (and it MUST be a strong sa password for the install to work)
or doing the same and making sure that the Builtin\Administrator account is
an sa and then it will install under Windows Authentication.

The log folder errorlog file will indicate whether the instance is patched
to 2039, (sp4) or if the patch worked 2050. If SBS was not correctly patched
then sp4 upgrade needs to run and, from what I can surmise, sbsmonitoring and
msfw do not use an sa password.

If I am correct this time, the fix is to switch the authentication mode to
zero (sql auth), patch in a strong sa pwd, login with the sa pwd, enable the
builtin\administrator account to have sa rights, run the patch and, I assume,
do something else to make the msfw and sbsmonitoring accounts remain secure.

I am not sure what that given condition is. I recently ran a fresh install
of sbs 2003 and installed everything except the default instance. In my
case, all three instance (sharepoint aka wmsde, sbsmonitoring, and msfw) are
at 2039. When I downloaded the patch to my machine and ran it locally, the
sharepoint patch updated to 2050 but the remaining instances failed to update.

The log that appears to be related on my machine is MSI17cac.LOG. The
contents of the log are exactly

"A strong SA ...
=== Logging stopped: 10/1/2008 18:46:45 ==="

--
Regards,
Jamie